• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

New Horizons feels like a discount New Leaf

New Horizons is exhausting. Crafting, events, balloons, breakable tools, you wake up to a huge mess everyday (sticks everywhere and god forbid if it rained the day before) slow loading times (might be the same as NL not sure?). It’s not the Animal Crossing I love.

Plus not to mention all the stripped away content that’s slowly being added back. The graphics are nice, the level of control you have is nice but Animal Crossing is supposed to be relaxing, not feel like a grind. It took me years to get sick of each other game but I’m already burnt out with NH and force myself to play everyday so I don’t miss Redd or Celeste.

not going to lie, but i always thought that NL did this system better with the MEOW coupons. granted, you could only do three tasks a day, but that stopped them from stacking up so quickly and becoming as obsolete as they have in NH. there were also (i'm pretty sure) vastly more items for them to be spent on. you had harvey's rotating two daily items, the guaranteed daily NPC RV, and then any other RV you decided to invite with an amiibo card or figure. imo if they wanted to keep NMTs and the related tasks relevant as time went on, they should've continued adding more items or perks that could be bought with them.

Ahhhhh!!! I didn't play much after the amiibo update - but I did remember liking that quite a bit, and checking on Wisp, and playing the extra games. You might be right.

Apologies, I have heard so many different opinions about previous games that I didn't really see a linear improvement. People often cite the original game having the best dialogue and later entries being worse for example; or City Folk being a step back from WW. Watching that from afar is why I never put on the table that each entry improved upon the latest one, for example. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from :p

Well, it depends on what you value as content I suppose. I did find my self not talking to much Villagers in NH - but that might be because after playing NL for so long I assumed I already knew what they were going to say. They felt more like a NPC++ than a living thing.

For you and others, it can be big only at times. For me and others, it's big all around. What does that mean? That the mechanic is huge, and the amount of work behind it is massive. It's too bad if you feel it wasn't great, but that doesn't make it a minor mechanic.

I have heard people say Brewster and the working at the café are little things that get boring but I'm not going to treat that as a fact and disregard the amount of care put on it and the activity it represents for past games.

And yes, terraforming is also bigger. It's not only the fact that you can build anything, but also how it affects villagers' walking AI. That's why I'm talking about, just these three features are huge. And let's add HD development on top of that. And like all the others things that are there but people choose to focus on what isn't there.

I don't think I called it a minor mechanic, but rather that there were only 3 major additions. I don't personally feel they affect the game much, but I think that the addition of crafting, outside items and terraforming are the distinguishing characteristics of NH from previous entries in the series. As mentioned before, the additions are fine, but, for every new thing they add, a chunk of things are taken away.

Those are not tiny QoL... but I kind of understand we may have different concepts of what is big then haha It's ok to miss those old mechanics, other appreciate them being overhauled. That again, doesn't make a game "a discount" one.

However, I strongly disagree with the tanning part. It was absolutely appalling (and racist) that a black person could only represent themselves by "getting burnt by the sun".

The "discount" term was hyperbole. I'm glad it did it's job to rile up the opposition though - makes for fierce and interesting debate.

I'm Hispanic and I have brown skin. I didn't really feel bothered by not being able to pick my skin colour. I mean, if you want the feature so badly, they could have made you choose it at the start - and you either stick with it forever, or later on some location opens up where you can change it. Keep in tanning to an extent, so that the summer sun feels impactful... There can be a middle ground. I don't think it's racist at all.

Like you say there are no room on the museum for you to decorate, but you don't address that on the other hand we get a full house at Harvey's to decorate (where we can even invite villagers and do photoshoots and whatnot). It's like the same thing, but one isn't being counted?

Ahh, I must have missed this one. Was this in from the start of the game? Or was it added with the Wedding update I missed out on? It felt so far away from the rest of the game that I think I went once, never messed around with it, and forgot it existed.

But... if I recall. Isn't that catalogue furniture? Or does it use inventory items?

But just to say, thinking a feature is lame just because you don't like it is not constructive criticism.

I get you're speaking in general here, but, as clarification, if I mentioned something (like the museum rooms), it was just an off-hand compilation of things I could easily recall are missing from New Leaf. The general thought process here is "things were added to New Horizons, but a lot was removed". Picking apart if I think crafting is amazing or not is a bit irrelevant here (which I don't think it is).

New Horizons is exhausting. Crafting, events, balloons, breakable tools, you wake up to a huge mess everyday (sticks everywhere and god forbid if it rained the day before) slow loading times (might be the same as NL not sure?). It’s not the Animal Crossing I love.

Yep. Those sticks are really ugly. Would rather deal with messy paths than having to clean up those everyday.

The game isn't a discount new leaf, it's more like a recode of NL. I loved new leaf and I agree, when comparing the two, new horizons is lacking in some content. However, a lot of people are forgetting that moving from NL to NH isn't as simple as drag me over and resize model. NL runs on a 3DS, with low quality models and less of a need for detail. New Horizons is the first game in the series to be in HD, meaning they had to redesign a lot of the 3DS content to look higher quality which takes ALOT OF TIME. I mean, look at the new details on villagers and how HD everything is. They obviously are putting as much detail into every aspect of the game, especially the little things.

Plus when you combine the new features, dialogue, and design of the game, it makes sense why they had so much done on release compared. They are pouring their heart and soul with every little detail but that takes time and I rather the game be looking as good as it does now then having them only slightly adjusting the model with all those features back.

Fun Fact: This game uses more space then the 3DS version.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but, all in all, New Horizons feels like an HD trimmed down version of New Leaf. In some ways, it feels like a "Wild World" to the original GCN game. So many good things are gone....

it almost feels like an imitation of Animal Crossing. In some cases they've taken a step forwards, but also a step sideways and backwards
Post automatically merged:

People expecting different things from what the game turned out to be doesn't mean the game is unfinished

If you look at everything that was released post v1.0.0, the game was most definitely unfinished. There wasn't even holidays in v1.0.0. There wasn't Art/redd, and there wasn't diving. There wasn't dreaming. This list will grow as they continue to put content in that should have been since released (Likely things like Brewster/roost, re-tail, etc)

Last edited:
Cannot deny that NH has been lackluster comparing to NL. It feels like a lot of the NL elements are still missing in NH. Gyroids, brewster, police station, ability to customize building exteriors..etc. That said, I’m fairly certain the groundwork has already been made, it’s just that those content hasn’t been released to be playable yet. Perhaps it’s intentional that Nintendo wanted to keep this way and slowly release new content through monthly updates in order to keep players’ interests hooked, but to me they didn’t do this in the right way. Rather than coming up with real, creative contents or DLCs to engage the players, they purposely held back stuff/mechanisms that could’ve been in game since day 1. Just made them look lazy to be honest.

Terraforming is probably the biggest difference to NL and I have to say I do quite enjoy it. I wouldn’t consider it to be an upgrade to NL though because clearly you can make gameplay engaging even without it. The DIY mechanism is just meh to me - I guess it’s nice that you could crafts as many items as you wanted for a given DIY, but the fact that the seasonal DIYs are only largely obtainable from balloons and that regular DIYs are so easily redundant makes collecting them really annoying. In my mind the biggest improvements to NL are, like you said, mostly Quality of life related indeed only (such as able to move villager/shop/house placements, finally having transparent color in custom designs), and graphics.

It's awesome how a game can be so loved and divisive at the same time. For me, the game is borderline perfect, and is the game in which I've sunk the largest amount of time since I first sat down in front of the Commodore 64 (I suppose that ages me a bit).

My first AC experience was Wild World, so I didn't have any expectations built from the original game on the Gamecube. I then followed each iteration over the various consoles, and find this one, ACNH, to be my favorite by a landslide. Personally, it's not lacking a single thing. I engage with the game daily, check things off my mental list, then go on with my day.

My (our?) progression through the game was grossly accelerated due to the pandemic, leaving Nintendo seemingly holding the bag for a game we feel is rushed or unfinished. It's neither of those, at least not as far as I can tell.

And ACNH is not a "Discount New Leaf" by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that our expectations perhaps were not met when we "only" got new things like decorating outdoors, crafting, and terraforming (all series-changing, yet often overlooked because of a "lack" of Brewster, or various furniture sets).

I respect that you have feelings and an opinion on the subject, but don't see it anywhere near the same as you. See what I mean, both loved and divisive.

That said, I’m fairly certain the groundwork has already been made, it’s just that those content hasn’t been released to be playable yet. Perhaps it’s intentional that Nintendo wanted to keep this way and slowly release new content through monthly updates in order to keep players’ interests hooked

I see a lot people say something like this, but New Horizons isn't a paid subscription like game, there is literally no reason to keep players hooked by releasing a piece more of the game every 2-3 months. All Nintendo needs is to sell copies of the game and that's it. And hey, maybe some improvements/fixes here and there and real DLC content. At least to me, it makes no sense to draw it out on purpose

I'm going into humor mode now, enjoy New Horizons explained with a restaurant:

Imagine going to a restaurant and ordering a meal, but they only bring out on a small portion of the meal every 2-3 months. After 1-2 years, they have finally brought you your entire meal, but they didn't give you any silverware cause they want eating your meal to be a little be a little monotonous, frustrating, and irritating. When you ask the server why it took so long to get the food, he says "We want to keep our customers in our restaurant longer. If we had given you your entire meal to begin with, you would have just eaten it and left"

Yes... They are different games. But they don't exist in a vacuum. Nintendo fans should be allowed to criticize Nintendo and call them out for their laziness in recent titles. To say that "the reason NL features don't exist in NH is to keep things fresh" is ridiculous - especially when data mines reveal certain things like the Roost (or as the past showed, art/diving/bushes) are coming in future updates.

People are allowed to criticise games and I did state the New Horizons has issues.

As for the ‘lazeiness’ comment... In my opinion that’s a pretty harsh comment considering that New Horizons is no where near a lazy title. It allows the basic functions of an animal crossing game. Bugs, fishing, fossils, balloons, diving, art, redd, buying furniture, expanding your house etc. It improves features like more daily npc’s such as CJ and Flick offering a higher fish and big price for the day, Wisp offering an additional item, Celeste Giving a special diy item. Savannah, Lief and kicks all offering items which are exclusive to them. You can move villager homes and npc run places to where ever you want. Your inventory is vastly bigger, meaning more slots to store items in...

That’s just a few examples so, I don’t see how that’s lazy?

As for the ‘”the reason NL features don't exist in NH is to keep things fresh" is ridiculous’. There’s a reason why some new leaf features aren’t in new horizons. A lot of the stores in Main Street, wouldn’t fit in with the island get away vibe and considering how large the buildings looked, half of your island would just be buildings.
Tortimer island is defiantly a feature that I would like to see come back, especially since there’s a dock with nothing on it. It fits the island get away theme.

It is to keep things fresh. The city theme has been done twice (in a row), in city folk/lets go to the city and again in new leaf with Main Street. If they did it again, then it’s just repeating the same thing with different graphics.

Just my thoughts.

I see a lot people say something like this, but New Horizons isn't a paid subscription like game, there is literally no reason to keep players hooked by releasing a piece more of the game every 2-3 months. All Nintendo needs is to sell copies of the game and that's it. And hey, maybe some improvements/fixes here and there and real DLC content. At least to me, it makes no sense to draw it out on purpose

Imagine going to a restaurant and ordering a meal, but they only bring out on a small portion of the meal every 2-3 months. After 1-2 years, they have finally brought you your entire meal, but they didn't give you any silverware cause they want eating your meal to be a little be a little monotonous, frustrating, and irritating. When you ask the server why it took so long to get the food, he says "We want to keep our customers in our restaurant longer. If we had given you your entire meal to begin with, you would have just eaten it and left"
But why wouldn't Nintendo want to keep their existing userbase engaged by releasing new updates with additions and QoL changes? The responsibility of selling to new users is no longer Nintendo's, it's streamers advertising through their videos, and us telling our friends, posting on Twitter, or making our own videos about how much the game has changed from release to now.

I'm an optimist by nature, and a firm believer in the power of both Nintendo and the AC series.

But why wouldn't Nintendo want to keep their existing userbase engaged by releasing new updates with additions and QoL changes? The responsibility of selling to new users is no longer Nintendo's, it's streamers advertising through their videos, and us telling our friends, posting on Twitter, or making our own videos about how much the game has changed from release to now.

I'm an optimist by nature, and a firm believer in the power of both Nintendo and the AC series.

There's a difference between QOL and Features. TBH, I can't remember any QOL updates in NH other than the fix to special visitors spawning, and a tiny fix to Sahara's dialogue.. Things like holidays, Redd/Art, Diving, Pascal, Dreaming, Leif, have all been features. A QOL would be bulk crafting, better dialogue with airlines, better loading times in multiplayer, better tool durability, options for storing DIYs, storing flowers, new paths, declining duplicate DIYs from villagers, crafting from storage, shopping cart at Abel Sisters, more design slots, more islands per Switch, etc. We haven't gotten any of those, but I wouldn't mind waiting and getting them after release. New feature updates are fine, but if the feature update was something we should have had to begin with, that's where the problem is. They give us stuff like Redd months after the game released when other AC games had him on release. Redd isn't technically new. So it's cheap. When New Leaf released Welcome Amiibo, that was a true feature update. It introduced new things to the series, like Meow Coupons, Amiibos, RV Campsite, Harvey, and a few other minor things.

Again, there is no reason to keep the fan base engaged since we've all already paid for the game at the end of the day. It's evident we are still engaged in New Leaf, and have been years after it released. Bandwagon fans may leave, but most of us here wouldn't. We'd still be playing New Horizons even after the next Animal Crossing releases.

Well, it depends on what you value as content I suppose. I did find my self not talking to much Villagers in NH - but that might be because after playing NL for so long I assumed I already knew what they were going to say. They felt more like a NPC++ than a living thing.
Yup, our own perception of the value of the content is what usually tends to make a difference.

I don't think I called it a minor mechanic, but rather that there were only 3 major additions. I don't personally feel they affect the game much, but I think that the addition of crafting, outside items and terraforming are the distinguishing characteristics of NH from previous entries in the series. As mentioned before, the additions are fine, but, for every new thing they add, a chunk of things are taken away.
Oh yeah, it's a sad reality that many things were indeed taken out. I just think that people usually don't realize the extent and the importance of the usual "main 3" new features. I can't obviously know, but I'm pretty sure they made the developers reinvent the formula completely.

I'm Hispanic and I have brown skin. I didn't really feel bothered by not being able to pick my skin colour. I mean, if you want the feature so badly, they could have made you choose it at the start - and you either stick with it forever, or later on some location opens up where you can change it. Keep in tanning to an extent, so that the summer sun feels impactful... There can be a middle ground. I don't think it's racist at all.
Sure, we can keep tanning but yeah, the whole mechanics tied to it were :$ I'm just glad Nintendo/AC team has made the game much more inclusive than ever.

Ahh, I must have missed this one. Was this in from the start of the game? Or was it added with the Wedding update I missed out on? It felt so far away from the rest of the game that I think I went once, never messed around with it, and forgot it existed.

But... if I recall. Isn't that catalogue furniture? Or does it use inventory items?
It's been there from the start. And yes, you can use all the furniture catalogued, which makes it fantastic for a multitude of things: you can mix n' match until you find something you like easily and then decorate your own house, you can make little scenarios with your villagers to play with, etc. It's a fun feature! I really enjoyed seeing others unleash their creative with the Wedding event and keep enjoying how many people use it to throw welcome/goodbye parties to villagers and more.

I get you're speaking in general here, but, as clarification, if I mentioned something (like the museum rooms), it was just an off-hand compilation of things I could easily recall are missing from New Leaf. The general thought process here is "things were added to New Horizons, but a lot was removed". Picking apart if I think crafting is amazing or not is a bit irrelevant here (which I don't think it is).
Yeah, I know there are lots of missing things and I hope some come back or new things keep coming. It's just that it's sometimes discouraging that the general comments about the game tend to be about what is missing only and/or minimizing the positives. I remember a popular youtuber straight up referring to the new variety of actions the villagers perform as "Instagram-bait" things and completely ignoring them for example. I thought all the actions were adorable and made the island feel alive, and watching them be disregarded so easily just to "prove" that NH wasn't good was weird.

The game isn't a discount new leaf, it's more like a recode of NL. I loved new leaf and I agree, when comparing the two, new horizons is lacking in some content. However, a lot of people are forgetting that moving from NL to NH isn't as simple as drag me over and resize model. NL runs on a 3DS, with low quality models and less of a need for detail. New Horizons is the first game in the series to be in HD, meaning they had to redesign a lot of the 3DS content to look higher quality which takes ALOT OF TIME. I mean, look at the new details on villagers and how HD everything is. They obviously are putting as much detail into every aspect of the game, especially the little things.

Plus when you combine the new features, dialogue, and design of the game, it makes sense why they had so much done on release compared. They are pouring their heart and soul with every little detail but that takes time and I rather the game be looking as good as it does now then having them only slightly adjusting the model with all those features back.

Fun Fact: This game uses more space then the 3DS version.
Yes. The move to HD is hard, and we know for a fact that the team at least reviewed (and tweaked) the designs of all 380+ villagers and they also had to redo all the furniture from scratch. It's not as easy as people seem to think and it's almost a feature by itself.

If you look at everything that was released post v1.0.0, the game was most definitely unfinished. There wasn't even holidays in v1.0.0. There wasn't Art/redd, and there wasn't diving. There wasn't dreaming. This list will grow as they continue to put content in that should have been since released (Likely things like Brewster/roost, re-tail, etc)
The key problem here is: what is the definition of "should have been released from the start". Who decides that? The fans that have wildly different expectations? Holidays not being on 1.0 was a deliberate choice, not an indicative of a game being unfinished. Ever since the first information was presented, they were clear about the game made with free DLC in mind (and maybe paid DLC).

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think NH had troubled development- a delay tends to be solid proof of that. However, they did release a finished product that was going to get beefier when the free updates hit. We probably won't never know the full story, but it's almost clear that NH was needed for Nintendo's 2019/2020 FY and March was the last month they could delay the release. With the GaaS-like model already planned for the game, the things aligned and they could launch a game with the "basic" Animal Crossing features and the new ones; and keep developing new/returning things later. Unfortunately, a little pandemic may have made the planned updates slower and thinner. Nintendo didn't expect the numbers this monster is doing, so I'm also expecting that previous plans have been heavily adjusted.

For better or worse, the gambit has payed off. Even if say, half of the buyers of ACNH don't like the game (be old fans or new fans) and the other half likes it, the game already has more people "happy" than all previous entries.

It's because NH has a GaaS-like model. "Game as a service" is how some games are made, and although not a 1:1 mostly because the revenue isn't coming from updates, the approach is similar. When NH release was approaching, people always talked about how Animal Crossing was a game you could pick up anytime, put it down and return a week later or so. The same concept applies to the updates and how they are being managed.

For better or worse, this approach also means that some of the perceived problems of things that weren't there on the beginning are only noted by early adopters. 15+ million people played the game without art and bushes at first (which only came a month later at worst), but there are also 13+ million and counting who don't have the same issue.

Don't get me wrong, this is certainly a divided and heavily debated topic! Some people feel that this shouldn't happen while others think it's a high-risk high-reward but great strategy. There is even discussion about how games with hefty post-launch content should be reviewed.

I'm enjoying it well enough. There's certain aspects about NH that I honestly wish were in NL. The amount of outdoor customization in NH is the primary example. But overall, I agree. NL did feel like a more full experience. Here we are 9 months after launch and the game still feels like a Steam early access game or something, where it's incomplete.

Unfortunately that feeling has disappointed me enough that I don't see myself ever buying an AC game again. If I do, it will be sometime after launch and it will have to be proven to be a complete game.

The key problem here is: what is the definition of "should have been released from the start". Who decides that? The fans that have wildly different expectations? Holidays not being on 1.0 was a deliberate choice, not an indicative of a game being unfinished. Ever since the first information was presented, they were clear about the game made with free DLC in mind (and maybe paid DLC).

Deliberate choice or not, it doesn't need debating to say Holidays belong in an Animal Crossing and should have been in all at the start. Nintendo did leave it out, and if you buy a brand new copy of the game and don't update, they aren't there. That alone constitutes proof they released an unfinished game.

In regards to Redd/Art, Diving, Dreaming, Lief, etc. All of these existed in New Leaf. They are nothing new. Nintendo deliberately waited until nature day to give us Lief, waited until August to give us Fireworks, summer to give us diving, and the habit continues with each and every update we've received (not counting patches). What decides what should or shouldn't be in from release would have to be true new content and content that was unexpected. We all could have guessed Diving was coming at some point. Want an example of what true new and unexpected content? Look at Welcome Amiibo update for New Leaf. They literally cut a new hole in our town cliff and added an RV Campsite. I don't know if you played the original New Leaf, but Harvey's camping area literally never existed before the update.

It's because NH has a GaaS-like model. "Game as a service" is how some games are made, and although not a 1:1 mostly because the revenue isn't coming from updates, the approach is similar. When NH release was approaching, people always talked about how Animal Crossing was a game you could pick up anytime, put it down and return a week later or so. The same concept applies to the updates and how they are being managed.

For better or worse, this approach also means that some of the perceived problems of things that weren't there on the beginning are only noted by early adopters. 15+ million people played the game without art and bushes at first (which only came a month later at worst), but there are also 13+ million and counting who don't have the same issue.

Don't get me wrong, this is certainly a divided and heavily debated topic! Some people feel that this shouldn't happen while others think it's a high-risk high-reward but great strategy. There is even discussion about how games with hefty post-launch content should be reviewed.

I agree with this post, but I want to say that GaaS feels like it only works well in games that are generally paid in some way or another - either it's subscription-based like an MMO, or it's one of those free to play games that makes money off of selling skins or other in-game content. New content keeps players coming back and therefore paying.

The closest thing I can think of that is similar to what Nintendo is doing with NH is games like Terraria and Stardew Valley - games that received (or, in Stardew Valley's case, still receiving) free updates every so often and the only $ you paid was for the game itself the one time when you bought it. But the big difference is Terraria and Stardew Valley were complete games even at launch. I haven't played Terraria myself, but for Stardew Valley you can be perfectly happy playing the original release of the game and get so much fun out of it without feeling like something is missing. The new content that's been added over the years feels like tons of icing on the cake.

NH felt incomplete at launch and, frankly, still feels incomplete even with updates every few months since then. The updates honestly don't contain that much new content. I played NL for years before the big Welcome amiibo update came out. NL felt perfectly fine without it. At this pace of adding small pieces to the game, will even another whole year make the game feel more complete? I don't know.

I have no clue what Nintendo is even trying to do. It makes no logical sense to me as a longtime gamer and as an AC fan.

I’ve played every single Animal Crossing entry thus far. New Horizons is probably going to end up being my most played and most enjoyed.

I think it’s easy to overlook many of the things New Horizons implements and does incredibly well compared to the predecessors. Getting the obvious out of the way, the graphics. Everything is stunningly designed and looks absolutely beautiful. This is so important in a game all about customization and collecting. Let’s face it, a huge part of Animal Crossing is aesthetic. And virtually all of the objects have physics, so if you place them outside on a windy day, you’re going to see that be reflected in the object. Not even The Sims on PC has physics in objects, hair, clothing, and furniture like ACNH does, and I would imagine a huge amount of development time went into the graphics and physics of objects and clothing.

Graphics aren’t everything though, so let’s talk more about the gameplay, again, with an obvious topic – crafting. Some people love it, others not so much, but I personally enjoy it very much. Aside from adding a ton of gameplay hours, customization, and collecting to my game, it’s done massive wonders for the online community, which has never been livelier and more active, primarily thanks to crafting. A huge amount of my gameplay hours are spent meeting people from trade websites and trading materials, crafting services for bells/NMT, and more of the sort. And this is all enhanced by the new features they’ve implemented like Dodo codes. Try going back to New Leaf without them and having to use friend codes again. I know I couldn’t.

And that ties into my next thing — quality of life improvements and gameplay improvements. They’re everywhere with this game. Remember how annoying it was trying to place public work projects around using Isabelle? Waiting days/weeks/months/years for villagers to finally request that one public work project you wanted? Remember how limited our choices were with customizing how our town looked? Having to slowly walk around to prevent grass decay? Villagers leaving on their own, random accord? Building and rock placement? Town hall/train station colors out of sync? All, and so much more I haven’t even listed have been remedied, or fixed entirely, providing more player control. As for gameplay improvments, I think of how the gameplay of ACNL was primarily just a ridiculous bell grind for millions of bells to unlock everything from features, to shops, to PWPs, and so on. You were simply going to the same, eternally summer, tiny island and grinding the same exact beetles and fish year round over and over again. Unlocking features, objects, etc. in ACNH feels so much more fulfilling because it isn’t just a grind for bells anymore, thanks to many factors such as crafting.

I’m going to cut my post short even though I‘d like to continue because I’m going to end up writing a 5 page, MLA-certified essay at this point, lol. But, really, play ACNL for a week again, and I think many, if not all, would find themselves a little frustrated towards the end, or even sooner. And, dont get me wrong, I love ACNL and I do miss plenty of things from it. It’s full of charm and was super fun during its time. But I definitely feel some overlook both the quality and quantity of improvements ACNH brings to the series because they think having a night club you ended up never usin aside from one day of the week is better than what we got instead. I still want things like the cafe, dedicated post office, and multiplayer/solo mini games to return, but I am very happy with what they did with this game. I’m happy they are going to likely support it, for free, longer than any other AC game. It’s so needed considering how long the gaps have gotten between games.

I’ve played every single Animal Crossing entry thus far. New Horizons is probably going to end up being my most played and most enjoyed.

I think it’s easy to overlook many of the things New Horizons implements and does incredibly well compared to the predecessors. Getting the obvious out of the way, the graphics. Everything is stunningly designed and looks absolutely beautiful. This is so important in a game all about customization and collecting. Let’s face it, a huge part of Animal Crossing is aesthetic. And virtually all of the objects have physics, so if you place them outside on a windy day, you’re going to see that be reflected in the object. Not even The Sims on PC has physics in objects, hair, clothing, and furniture like ACNH does, and I would imagine a huge amount of development time went into the graphics and physics of objects and clothing.

Sure, graphics has been improved, but shall we expect Nintendo 3DS resolution in "next gen console"? Let's be realistic.
Graphics (New Leaf Style) has been improved already in 2015:
However Wii U version of AC has failed as a game, as we already know.
I agree (partially) about physics, design - but many of those has been pointless, as example I can give a arcade-pinball machines, where we can almost-play... oh no... we can't play! We just pretending we playing. It was a waste of something what could be used in the game.
If you remember in Game Cube version of AC we had access to several actual games, fully playable. Now, we can just buy pinballs, arcade machines and do... nothing than admiring them and semi-interacting. If we can call it improvements, I definitely disagree with this.
All accessible furnitures giving us ability changing clothes... including REFRIGERATORS! What a big improvements! In real life never had any clothes in place like this... maybe I should change it? Outdoor lights? It gives almost nothing to the scenery... we could expect much more, as lights are nothing new and could be done much better.

Graphics aren’t everything though, so let’s talk more about the gameplay, again, with an obvious topic – crafting. Some people love it, others not so much, but I personally enjoy it very much. Aside from adding a ton of gameplay hours, customization, and collecting to my game, it’s done massive wonders for the online community, which has never been livelier and more active, primarily thanks to crafting. A huge amount of my gameplay hours are spent meeting people from trade websites and trading materials, crafting services for bells/NMT, and more of the sort. And this is all enhanced by the new features they’ve implemented like Dodo codes. Try going back to New Leaf without them and having to use friend codes again. I know I couldn’t.
Crafting could be fun... but if it's not limited as we have. We have to craft tools, or we can buy them - so at some point crafting becomes almost not necessary and we can stop it completely. From time to time, we may be encouraged to craft something, because of the season or upcoming events... but it's not enough... and finally we have limited space on our island.

And that ties into my next thing — quality of life improvements and gameplay improvements. They’re everywhere with this game. Remember how annoying it was trying to place public work projects around using Isabelle? Waiting days/weeks/months/years for villagers to finally request that one public work project you wanted? Remember how limited our choices were with customizing how our town looked? Having to slowly walk around to prevent grass decay? Villagers leaving on their own, random accord? Building and rock placement? Town hall/train station colors out of sync? All, and so much more I haven’t even listed have been remedied, or fixed entirely, providing more player control. As for gameplay improvments, I think of how the gameplay of ACNL was primarily just a ridiculous bell grind for millions of bells to unlock everything from features, to shops, to PWPs, and so on. You were simply going to the same, eternally summer, tiny island and grinding the same exact beetles and fish year round over and over again. Unlocking features, objects, etc. in ACNH feels so much more fulfilling because it isn’t just a grind for bells anymore, thanks to many factors such as crafting.

Sure, limitations in NL may drive players crazy. But... can we use this as justification for something was wrong or unpleasant in predecessors? Sure, NL was focused on grinding, but at least it serves some purpose... but now, long-playing-players having millions of bells, thousands of miles and only one purpose is just to look at their accounts and observe how "money grows". Is it really improvements?

I’m going to cut my post short even though I‘d like to continue because I’m going to end up writing a 5 page, MLA-certified essay at this point, lol. But, really, play ACNL for a week again, and I think many, if not all, would find themselves a little frustrated towards the end, or even sooner. And, dont get me wrong, I love ACNL and I do miss plenty of things from it. It’s full of charm and was super fun during its time. But I definitely feel some overlook both the quality and quantity of improvements ACNH brings to the series because they think having a night club you ended up never usin aside from one day of the week is better than what we got instead. I still want things like the cafe, dedicated post office, and multiplayer/solo mini games to return, but I am very happy with what they did with this game. I’m happy they are going to likely support it, for free, longer than any other AC game. It’s so needed considering how long the gaps have gotten between games.

Nintendo must have knowledge how popular was NL and what players liked or disliked. I want to remind, AC failed after NL not a once, but twice - releasing HHD and board game for Wii U. They had more than enough time to to their homework.
NH in the day of the release could be considered as unfinished BETA, but not as fully release. Summer update with diving? It was literally the same, as we had in NL - there was nothing amazing in this, no underwater scenery, just water and rocks... in 2020... what a big improvement. As an example we could compare how underwater looks in Breath of the Wild on Wii U - so console previous generation was more than strong to generate environment like this.
Another thing... lack of customisable controls in NH - camera work inside houses are made in their way, which is not acceptable for all.
Hidden objects behind the trees was made better in NL than in NH...
... and finally, as we may read about "statement of future" of NH - new updates will give us almost nothing and it may be just something really unnecessary for daily game playing.

forgot to add this last night, but one of the other main reasons i vastly prefer NL is the progression. after the initial week in NH, and getting the three stars to unlock terraforming (which doesn't take much longer, frankly), that's pretty much it. NL's progression was so much more spread out and better paced, and i always felt like i achieved something and had new goals to strive for even over a year in. that's definitely not the case with NH. i had everything you could do done within a month. (museum exhibits and various gold tools excluded for obvious reasons.) all that's left is waiting for them to periodically add events, and there's only one (two if they include April fool's) big one left to wait for.

forgot to add this last night, but one of the other main reasons i vastly prefer NL is the progression.

This. I don't wanna be sappy and all, but seeing and having my town tree fully grown on NL made me cry when the credits rolled. I never TT'd on NL so having the role of "mayor" and seeing my town slowly develop over time had more impact to me, compared to having a to-do list just to invite a celebrity. NL's approach to achieving something felt more satisfying.

New Horizons is great, and I could see myself playing it continuously for another year, but it's a love and hate relationship with this game. DIYs are great. But the seasonal recipe grind is a huge turn-off. It's cool to have something to look forward to thanks to periodic updates, but waiting for missing characters and features to return who knows when can be tiresome. Graphics and details are amazing. Terraforming is fun. Characters and their roles are dumbed down. Customization is expansive. Events are simplified, etc. This game is amazing but disappointing at the same time.

NL sucks with random villager plots, grass deterioration, wilting flowers, etc. But the content is still far greater. Of course, this opinion may change when NH is "fully compete". But for now, New Leaf still wins for me.

Your thread title sounds really harsh. I can definitely understand your frustration. In fact, I won't deny that the game has a lot of "missed opportunities."

Personally myself, I am just another unpopular opinion. I prefer this game over New Leaf. It's simply because of the vibrant graphics and music. In fact, I poured more hours in this game than New Leaf. I also enjoyed the online aspect of this game as well.

I also have a few complaints. However, I firmly believe that Nintendo can still improve this game. Hopefully, you will give this game another chance.

Back