• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Opinion on gender roles?

Do you like gender roles?

• I like them

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I don't like them

Votes: 73 91.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nintendofan85

Good grief.
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
What is your take on gender roles? Even if I mostly conform to them, that doesn't necessarily mean I like them. What do you guys think?

I have never liked gender roles and fought against them even as a child. I didn't like the whole pink is for girls, blue is for boys thing. I didn't like wearing dresses. I did like girls' toys but I also liked boys' toys and my brother and I basically shared all our toys.

Now, as an adult, I am the breadwinner in my household. I work full-time while my husband stays home and cleans. I've heard a lot of flack about that. People where I live don't get it and think it's not right, but you know what, we're happy with our arrangement so that's all that matters.

In my opinion, gender shouldn't matter. It shouldn't even need to be a part of the conversation and nothing should be gender-specific.

Don't know really. Whilst I was always a tomboy and have always been more into guy stuff/guy humour and always had a majority of male friends in my circle, I always felt fully female, especially when I started menstruating, which was something I felt I wanted to keep private from the boys. So I appreciated separate toilets/changing rooms. Beyond biological stuff, I didn't really feel I was different to the boys.

I was a gymnast since I was very little, which I took ballet to support my training, and I knew the girls' training in both of those was different to the boys' training. I don't remember feeling overly unhappy about that or feeling a need to break down any barriers, apart from maybe I thought some of the boys' equipment that we weren't allowed to use looked fun and I wanted to have a go haha. But I guess it didn't bother me enough to say anything.

Never really encountered much "You can't because you're a girl" stuff, probably because I was such a stubborn, feisty and scrappy little thing, who would just insist I could, and go right ahead and do it.

I didn't much enjoy the constant sexual harassment at school, that girl's were just expected to take as "boys will be boys" back then (another reason I appreciated separate toilets and changing rooms tbh). I don't think that happens so much nowadays. We had to wear girl and boy school uniforms too and all girls had to wear skirts. In fact...that rule was still being enforced in some schools until very very recently, along with strict rules on boys haircuts not being allowed to touch their ears or collar or be shorter than grade 3. I don't think that's allowed now. Again, this was just the norm for me and others, so it wasn't something we challenged much. Maybe the hair thing a bit I guess.

I don't know really. It's just something I grew up with and got used to. Didn't always approve or understand, but it wasn't an issue enough for me personally to take much notice of, as selfish as that may be. It must suck to run into problems with people being ignorant and unwilling to listen and I do sympathise with anyone who has had to tolerate that. It's no doubt very hurtful.

So I appreciated separate toilets/changing rooms. Beyond biological stuff, I didn't really feel I was different to the boys.
Sex and gender aren't the same thing. Obviously the two sexes have different genitalia and the like, so I can completely understand that. (Although, IMO, public bathrooms, even when sexually segregated, don't have enough privacy in my opinion, and I always feel so awkward in them)

I honestly don't really care. I sometimes wonder why genders tend to argue with one another of who is the best gender. I had to always put up with girls who always say "Oh boys are so immature, girls are so better" As a guy myself I really try my best not to listen to this nonsense. Almost feels like someone is attacking me just because I'm a guy and girls think that "all men are horrible"

I treat woman with respect and I don't ever do any of that crazy stuff that guys do. I will say it does give them a bad reputation about it. I really wonder why in the world can't people just accept others for who they are? Why is it so hard for them to understand that everyone is different and they deserve to be treated equally. I thought History would teach society this, but it seems like given what has been happening in the world it all just seems to be repeating itself.

Sex and gender aren't the same thing. Obviously the two sexes have different genitalia and the like, so I can completely understand that. (Although, IMO, public bathrooms, even when sexually segregated, don't have enough privacy in my opinion, and I always feel so awkward in them)
Yeah honestly, I think the way forward is to just segregate completely, as in no communal area at all in public bathrooms. So a cubical with a toilet and sink for washing in each, so they can be in complete privacy and immediately leave. That would actually solve a lot of antisocial behaviour problems that tend to occur in the communal areas too, because they wouldn't be able to lurk about anywhere, causing other people problems whilst partially hidden by the bathroom entrance (a lot of muggings and assaults happen in them)

I don’t like gender roles. Despite being a female, I’ve always been more into sports rather than the typical female interests. I’m often mistaken as a male sometimes, and it likely doesn’t help that my clothing is mainly sports related. I also use cologne and prefer to use male products.

It really doesn’t bother me what someone’s opinion is on gender roles. My problem is when someone else’s opinion is forced on you. I’m all for individuality and wholeheartedly believe everyone should be able to express themselves without the fear of being judged.

The bathroom issue was mentioned, and I’d like to comment on that. Public bathrooms in general lack privacy. I’ve been in several parts of the United States, and the stalls are almost always see through. You can easily see through the crack if you’re walking past, and that is super uncomfortable. Your identity really doesn’t matter in this case. That’s creepy, period. I won’t expand on this further because this is not the main topic of this thread, but the family restroom is always an option. Most places have one located somewhere.

Last edited:
I don’t like them and especially how young it starts too with kids.

I 100% agree with this! Never understood why the gaps are so large in public bathrooms and why they can’t just build the doors so it completely seals the whole stall.

I don’t like gender roles. Despite being a female, I’ve always been more into sports rather than the typical female interests. I’m often mistaken as a male sometimes, and it likely doesn’t help that my clothing is mainly sports related. I also use cologne and prefer to use male products.

It really doesn’t bother me what someone’s opinion is on gender roles. My problem is when someone else’s opinion is forced on you. I’m all for individuality and wholeheartedly believe everyone should be able to express themselves without the fear of being judged.

The bathroom issue was mentioned, and I’d like to comment on that. Public bathrooms in general lack privacy. I’ve been in several parts of the United States, and the stalls are almost always see through. You can easily see through the crack if you’re walking past, and that is super uncomfortable. Your identity really doesn’t matter in this case. That’s creepy, period. I won’t expand on this further because this is not the main topic of this thread, but the family restroom is always an option. Most places have one located somewhere.
I don’t like them and especially how young it starts too with kids.

I 100% agree with this! Never understood why the gaps are so large in public bathrooms and why they can’t just build the doors so it completely seals the whole stall.
Yeah I know it's different in America. In the uk we've never had the crack in the door problem, in fact it was jarring to see it in person and I was surprised by how nearly all of them had this. Another reason to have all of them as individual cublicles with handwashing in the cubicle, rather than in a communal area in separate sex bathrooms. Just lets everyone do their thing in total privacy.

Bane of my existence, honestly. I've had a fifteen+ year war with gender and had several identity crises in that time, and much of it boils down to gender roles. I'm lucky enough to be in a relationship where my partner validates how I feel, is comfortable with me taking on non-traditional gender roles, and sees me how I want to be seen even if it can seem contradictory at times.

I don't like them. I was initially going to write that I think gender roles are silly but that's an understatement. They're hurtful, frustrating, and don't serve any purpose other than to alienate people and make them feel bad if they don't "fit the mold" of what their stereotype should be.

I've mentioned it before but I've worked with kids quite a bit and was a preschool teacher. Even at three years old my kids had gender roles ingrained in them to a point where some of my kids would actually cry and be genuinely upset when given a "boy coloured" or "girl coloured" plate/bowl to eat out of. It's absolutely ridiculous! I'd spend multiple times a day reinforcing to my kids that there are no boy/girl colours, or toys, or games, because even at three some of the girls would poke fun at their classmates for "playing with dinosaurs because they're boy toys,". I've even had teachers side eye me when I'd encourage my boys to wear dresses during dress up time or the girls wear the "boy costumes".

There are no gendered colours, clothes, hobbies, or jobs. I've received disgusting comments regarding my job and even when I was younger and volunteered at our local library from people who felt it necessary to... idk. Commend me? For, "doing womens work instead of trying to do mens jobs". As if all women can do are take on caring roles or roles with children. Gender stereotypes are tied in with sexism and it's awful. I fall pretty heavily into the "stereotypical gender roles for women" given my interests and jobs but that's just coincidence. It doesn't make me "better" at being a woman because I happen to enjoy teaching children and sewing dresses, lmao, and my friends who are mechanics and enjoy sports aren't bad women for that.

i do not care for them at all, since they're extremely arbitrary and limiting. i will never be the "femme femme "my parents want me to be and that's ok with me. if you want to be "masc" or "femme" or neither or both, that's literally nobody else's business but yours. and who cares if you break traditional gender roles? it's not like it hurts anyone else. if anyone says anything to you about "not being x enough," ignore them. all that matters in the end is your happiness in being yourself.

Gender roles are dumb. It's unfair to everybody to pigeonhole what they allowed/not allowed to like or wear or do or whatever based solely on their gender. Just let people be themselves and not have them worry about conforming to or avoiding something based on their gender, y'know?

We are all just people. I hate how anyone has to be put into a box. As a mum i have never wanted for anything but happiness for my child. We all should encourage strengths and talents. All everyone needs is kindness, acceptance and love 💜

I've no issue with them really.
99% of the time they're pretty accurate and what the people participating in them want.
Of course hardly anyone out there ticks all the boxes, but they tend to tick quite a lot of them.

And of course some "gender' things like females being passive or males aggressive, are very dated. But I doubt many even consider them gender role things any more.

I dont think we should be encouraging as such very young children to take on traits that are of the other gender that they are not currently leaning towards already. Or if they are leaning into it, then pushing them further to it.

But i don't think it's up for anyone other than a person themselves, once they're old enough to form their own identity, to chose their own identity.

Back