• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Paid DLC is inevitable and I am EXCITED

SheepMareep

Actual Magical Girl
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Star Fragment
Vesta
Sheep Plush
Vesta
Yellow Star Fragment
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Dreamy Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Before I begin my excited ramblings about possible dlc I want to make it clear that amiibo cards and regular amiibos are all paid villager dlc (dlc was originally a disc you had to buy separately in a store not just bought in an eshop) so yes they have done it in the past and yes it will continue because it is a continuous trend among all of the MAIN Nintendo games now. (Pokemon swsh, splatoon, botw, animal crossing) so please avoid all of the negative "Nintendo would NEVER" because they have and nothing is really stopping them. Also reminder that no one is ever required to buy dlc, it is only to enhance the play time and increase enjoyment for those who do buy it/will not negatively affect anyone who does not get it.

ANYWAY.

After seeing the Nintendo direct for Pokemon and how they are adding expansion passes to swsh that add new islands you can visit I had so many fun ideas!!!!

1. Allowing a second island to be built !
While we don't know much about new horizons and if we will be able to travel to new islands/what we will be able to do there, I was thinking it would be nice if a year or two down the road Nintendo released a new expansion pass that allows us to have a second island on our console and adds a bunch of new shops or features that we would not have access to otherwise! This way the expansion pass adds almost a new version of the game. The new items and shops can be found on both islands, but the second island will require you to start over from the beginning with a new save file.

2. Pocket camp dlc!
No. This does not mean pocket camp will now be in our TV. BUT what it could mean is they allow you to import items from pocket camp to a lockbox at Harvey's island and open up a new shop run by a new npc that sells the pocket camp items. This would probably be a very very cheap DLC. other cheap dlc could be like the sanrio amiibo cards where Nintendo partners with other popular brands to create new characters/items

3. Mysterious new islands expansion
Again, we know nothing about traveling to other islands but it would be cool if Nintendo added sort of a side story to setting up your deserted island. Gulliver or kapp'n could appear at your house one day and talk about a strange message they got that contained a map of an area never before explored! While they love sailing the seas they are scared to go line and ask you to help them on this journey. You can then choose to go with them to a new island filled with mysterious new plants, npcs, and insects/fish where you complete small quests to improve their island before moving into the next. Each island has a bunch of new items and styles you can buy as well. Just like the island in New leaf, you can take back a basket of items including fish, insects, flowers, etc. To bring back with you. With each island a new area in the museum is opened to show the villagers in the town what it would be like to explore this new island theirseves! (There would not be too many so each area would include the flowers, bugs, and fish swimming in ponds/maybe in tanks at the end)

Non-paid dlc could include regular updates to dialogue and new items/villagers as well as new multiplayer games and hair styles.

Is there anything you would want out of a paid or free dlc down the line?

Last edited:
So am I !

But I'm not too fond of certain of your ideas ;) in all due respect. For example, I don't want any connection to Pocket Camp, this garbage wannabe of a game that they wrongly labeled as an Animal Crossing game. I don't also see the point of having a second island. Nintendo should just make the one we have slightly bigger so we can have more decorating space or more islanders.

Having more paid content should not mean throwing in a few new furniture items, clothes and a multiplayer island (? la Tortimer in New Leaf). They should really think it through, and offer something that goes beyond : same old, same old but more same old, same old.

So am I !

But I'm not too fond of certain of your ideas ;) in all due respect. For example, I don't want any connection to Pocket Camp, this garbage wannabe of a game that they wrongly labeled as an Animal Crossing game. I don't also see the point of having a second island. Nintendo should just make the one we have slightly bigger so we can have more decorating space or more islanders.

Having more paid content should not mean throwing in a few new furniture items, clothes and a multiplayer island (? la Tortimer in New Leaf). They should really think it through, and offer something that goes beyond : same old, same old but more same old, same old.

Understandable! The second island idea was primarily due to a lot of people having multiple copies of previous titles to have different themed towns and since now you can only have 2 or more if you buy multiple switches it would be more cost-effective to include a new expansion to allow another save file than forcing everyone who wants another town into buying a second switch

The last option wasn't a multiplayer option but an expansion into a more exploration sort of theme along with creating the deserted island from scratch

But yeah, I hope they come out with more than just new furniture/characters/clothes as dlc but it is a life simulator that focuses heavily on these design aspects so I'm sure they will continue that trend as well.

I think that is to much for DLC. All these ideas would make the game really unfair for players who dont want to spend money on the game. I think they will just stick to Aiimbo as too much DLC would get extreme critisim to Nintendo, and fans would be upset they waited years to have a Money-Grabber game.

Last edited:
I don't think Animal Crossing is a game that naturally lends itself to paid DLC. I'm hoping they avoid it, like they have with Mario Maker 2.

I think it?s time Animal Crossing gets DLC expansions. The gap between the main title releases is only growing, and we?re just coming off a 7/8 year gap from New Leaf. In that timeframe, for New Horizons, they could add new villagers, new features, clothes, hairstyles, new islands to explore, new collectibles, new furniture, new craft recipes, new materials, and so much more. It?ll breathe new life into the game, keep people playing, the community alive, and the wait for the next Animal Crossing go by even faster.

It?s definitely a case of being careful for what you wish for, because very easily, companies can abuse the DLC model to a point where it?s anti-consumer. With that said though, Nintendo usually does things fair and right, so fingers crossed that they?ll continue to do so.

Last edited:
I think that is to much for DLC. All these ideas would make the game really unfair for players who dont want to spend money on the game. I think they will just stick to Aiimbo as too much DLC would get extreme critisim to Nintendo, and fans would be upset they waited years to have a Money-Grabber game.

I mean it isn't any different than other dlc. The new Pokemon expansion pack is adding all new items, new areas, new pokemon including legendaries, and a whole new story. The point of dlc is to increase the playability and experience of a game to prevent having to make an entirely new one. All games cost money, that's how new ones are funded. It doesn't sound unfair at all if people are paying what like.. $20-30 to have more items when they chose to? Video games aren't cheap and all companies are after the money.

Plus animal crossing is a life simulator. Nothing is unfair when... There are no competitions or rewards for having different stuff in your town.

Last edited:
I dunno, honestly I don't think they could implement it into the game, it's just hard to imagine. I think Amiibo is the paid DLC for the animal crossing series, well that and nintendo online. One big reason why is that Pokemon swsh, splatoon, botw are all action/adventure games, they're meant to be challenging and typically DLC gives more of a challenge for players. Animal crossing is just a simulation game, so in order to add DLC they'd have to either take something away that we previously could do, which I don't believe any good developer could do and I do believe nintendo has earned it's reputation to a certain extent. Or it would be content I don't believe would be worth anything substantial. what could they add more than the core game? It's just too simple of a game I think.

I think it’s time Animal Crossing gets DLC expansions. The gap between the main title releases is only growing, and we’re just coming off a 7/8 year gap from New Leaf. In that timeframe, for New Horizons, they could add new villagers, new features, clothes, hairstyles, new islands to explore, new collectibles, new furniture, new craft recipes, new materials, and so much more. It’ll breathe new life into the game, keep people playing, the community alive, and the wait for the next Animal Crossing go by even faster.

It’s definitely a case of being careful for what you wish for, because very easily, companies can abuse the DLC model to a point where it’s anti-consumer. With that said though, Nintendo usually does things fair and right, so fingers crossed that they’ll continue to do so.

Definitley! If Nintendo had released even just one more upgrade for new leaf after welcome amiibo then I do not think it would have been such a painfully long wait. i mean look at how much the trend of hacking a town brought life back to the community (outside of bell tree anyway) because it was something new and different to do as well as see. 8 years of the same game with the same everything is boring and honestly I don't think I could ever pick up new leaf again because of how long I spent doing the same thing every day.

I do not think they will go too heavily on the dlc aside from the amiibo cards/figures since Nintendo tends to have one or two big expansions per game as opposed to a million smaller ones like with the sims. And besides, all of their content tends to remain fair to players without the means to afford it like with splatoon. smash bros does have special characters you can buy but honestly it doesn't affect anyone unless they are professional competitors.

I think when people hear DLC they automatically think of games like fortnite, apex, or other typically free to play games that have loot boxes. Not games such as botw, splatoon, or Pokemon that essentially create an entire new game for you to play in one you already own.

It sounds like it would be fun but I think if you got a second island, it would be better that you had to pay for it with either Nook Miles, Bells or another point reward system or even just through progress!
I don't mind spending money on Amiibo or Amiibo collab if I'm into it! ...But I'd really like them to make use of the in-game currency and reward points that we're going to work hard for to earn (๑˃͈꒵˂͈๑)

The only kinda DLC I thought they were going to add were the gacha Fortune Cookies...
They'd most likely have:

?Play Coins
?Bells
?Nook Miles
?Meow Coupons?
??/$/? Etc...

These would probably appear as special seasonal or weekly events hosted by Redd and his stall or Timmy and Tommy!

They also might run special events for rare items or collab but I don't think or I would like to hope they wouldn't focus too heavily on real money since most of us are going to be broke from buying the actual game

As for PC DLC, I don't think we'd need to pay for anything since they'd be advertising that game through NH but I do love the changing the scenery and sky so I hope there's a way to obtain those sorts of things!
I'm also hoping that they were giving us a taster in PC and that all items from PC are in NH.
I see them doing the Fortune Cookies for these though ₍ᐢ⸝⸝? ̫ ?⸝⸝ᐢ₎

Also, although we have physical Amiibo cards, I can also see them going down the road of releasing digital versions too one day.
Similar to a gacha pull on Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls, UtaMacross etc... (๑꒪ㅁ꒪๑)

I don't really mind the idea of paid DLC, but I think it's something that would really have to be worth that $20. Animal crossing is the kinda game where paid DLC's hav never really made sense. That's not me saying there's no way to implment a DLC, but that it would be harder. I also think it's something that should come out a year or so after New Horizons gets released. Since animal crossing is a franchise that stresses taking your time and relaxing (and the fact that we had to wait almost a decade for a new one) it would be much smarter decision to use DLC to add on to an island after it's already established.

If there is any paid DLC in NH, I want to be told beforehand.

This will permanently end my relationship with this series.

I dunno, honestly I don't think they could implement it into the game, it's just hard to imagine. I think Amiibo is the paid DLC for the animal crossing series, well that and nintendo online. One big reason why is that Pokemon swsh, splatoon, botw are all action/adventure games, they're meant to be challenging and typically DLC gives more of a challenge for players. Animal crossing is just a simulation game, so in order to add DLC they'd have to either take something away that we previously could do, which I don't believe any good developer could do and I do believe nintendo has earned it's reputation to a certain extent. Or it would be content I don't believe would be worth anything substantial. what could they add more than the core game? It's just too simple of a game I think.

With welcome amiibo Nintendo added all new furniture, clothing, villagers, a new area on the town map, new npc, new currency, and goals to earn said currency. This alone sparked life back into an otherwise dead community scraping at the walls for something new. They are very much capable of creating new content for a main animal crossing game to increase player interest. Since it is a life simulator they can add an unlimited amount of new content such as occupations, new areas to explore, new items, new villagers, etc etc etc.

Nintendo tried to release multiple different side games based in the animal crossing world and from what I have seen the community honestly did not respond well to them at all. Most long term players hate pocket camp, hhd hype did not last long due to its repetitive nature, and I refuse to even speak of the cursed game that everyone hated. I think they realize the only way to keep the fan base satisfied between main games is to create new content for the main game, especially since they have been doing so with all of their other main titles.

Even though it is not an action game, animal crossing titles are often released far apart from one another and are focused on real-time interaction. It is meant to be played for a LONG time unlike other life simulators and games like Pokemon that have specific end goals. (Beat story mode in like a week, become champion, fill pokedex.) If they are going to wait another 7-8+ years for the next main game release like they did this time around then they will be smart to add in at least one large expansion dlc 2-3 years down the road to keep players satisfied and engaged with the content in a market that is heavily saturated with games adding DLC. They are a creative company and I'm sure will come up with a way to provide dlc that does improve play time since they did once before with minimal changes.

Island expansions etc should be a natural part of the game.

Not something you paid for.

Last edited:

I really hope you're wrong because I feel like throwing up.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I pay for the game and console.
Nothing more.

God it IS PC.

This blows!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Post Merge - - -

How could you be excited about nintendo screwing us out of more money?

This isn't AC!

- - - Post Merge - - -

****!

The Welcome Amiibo update was free. Nintendo is fine with having updates and expansions free for AC, and while I think it could go either way, there's just as equal chance it'll be free as it is that it'll cost money. There's no point in getting upset over it right now.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Nothing more.

God it IS PC.

This blows!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Post Merge - - -

This isn't AC!

- - - Post Merge - - -

****!

The Nintendo switch costs $300 and new horizons is $60. new leaf was $35 and the 3d's around that time was I think $150. That is a very big jump in price to pay for the game to begin with. Nintendo is a company that makes and SELLS games for a profit, they are a gaming company aiming to earn money.

Like I said, animal crossing already has dlc with amiibo cards and figures. If you are upset about a video game company selling you things to add into your video game that you bought from them i..... Don't know what to tell you because not only do you not have to buy the dlc they sell you, you also don't need to pay for the game if you're that upset about spending money on a company you feel is screwing you over?

Also no need to get so aggressive? This response is very out of pocket and unnecessary. I am excited about Nintendo adding dlc into a game 2-3 years down the road when it has become boring in order to make my time playing the game and waiting for the next title to come out worth it.

If you honestly want to complain about Nintendo screwing people out of money look toward their merchandise and not at an upgrade to a video game which is the focus of their company to begin with.

NO!
In Australia, the cost is exactly what I said.

$499.

Game: $99.

Amiibo's are a different thing all together.
People could visit your town and buy items with MEOW coupons.

Paid DLC will have half the people with extras that can't be shared! Like PC.

I am not investing in half a game.
All or nothing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I wasn't aggressive. I wasn't done editing my post when you quoted my initial shocked response.

Last edited:
NO!
In Australia, the cost is exactly what I said.

$499.

Game: $99.

Paid DLC should NOT be part of NH!

Amiibo's are a different thing all together.
People could visit your town and buy items with MEOW coupons.

Paid DLC will have half the people with extras that CAN'T be shared! Like PC!

All or nothing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I wasn't aggressive. I wasn't done editing my post when you quoted my initial shocked response.

Anyway, that's done it for me.
If it's paid DLC I won't be getting it and there will be no need for me to post here anymore.

Maybe finish your response before posting and don't add edits you don't intend on anyone seeing. It was aggressive.

Also I didn't see you post any Australia prices nor did I know you lived there. Either way it still proves my point that you are already spending a lot of money on the game to begin with and another $20-$40 barely dents that if you are essentially getting another game out of it if they do the dlc like they have with all the other games.

Dlc aren't for half-made games when it comes to Nintendo games. all of the dlc they have come out with regarding the switch has added onto it. I mean the splatoob one added a whole new story mode to play, Pokemon is adding what would of been another whole new version into your already owned one, and Zelda added new puzzles/missions/plot lines and such. I'd understand if it were another company and the game was released too early then the rest released later but it's just to keep players interested.

Amiibos in regards to animal crossing are just to get a villager in your town or get special items from them. which is the same as all other small priced DLC. also it was never implied you could not share the items with other players? I focused more on the actual expansion of the game mechanics and mentioned the idea of cheap furniture/villager dlc in like... one sentence.

You're jumping to conclusions and throwing a temper tantrum over nothing that has even been 100% confirmed and is not even required of you to buy if/when it does come out. If you see this as a deal breaker then? Ok. But like I said in the beginning Nintendo already made paid dlc for animal crossing in the past and no one is ever required to even buy it. Plus they have it for all other games so why wouldn't they.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Nothing more.

This blows!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't AC!
Nintendo hasn’t even said anything about DLC. Why worry about it now and get so upset about it? If there is dlc simply do not buy it if you feel like Nintendo is ripping you off by adding more content to the game...

Isn’t more content better than not adding anything to the game and letting it die over the years? Even if it were to cost a little money?

If you already bought the switch and the game...paying say $20 more 2 years down the line isn’t really that bad.

All or nothing

The only issue John, is there is no way you'll know pre-purchase whether at some time in the future Nintendo decide to charge for DLC. But using your logic, would mean you'd never buy any game, ever.

I'm strongly against paid DLC, but I have to admit, not quite as strongly as you.

Back