• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Paid DLC is inevitable and I am EXCITED

Um, DLC hasn't been announced. I understand speculating but why are people acting like it has and even complaining about the price?

LOL, what's happening here?

Wondering the same lol.

Um, DLC hasn't been announced. I understand speculating but why are people acting like it has and even complaining about the price?

LOL, what's happening here?

I think a lot of people took me saying it was inevitable for it being confirmed and then did not read anything past that. Or became panicked at the idea and started treating my ideas of different concepts and price ranges as fact o uo;;

Tbh I've been mostly surprised by the lack of trust in Nintendo. Like they are pretty far behind in implementing paid online play, dlc expansions, and what not compared to other companies like EA and so far have been amazing with it all so I'm not entirely sure whether the fear of new horizons not being a finished game even comes from? Id understand if it was for PlayStation or Xbox but.... Nintendo is good to its fans imo.

I think a lot of people took me saying it was inevitable for it being confirmed and then did not read anything past that. Or became panicked at the idea and started treating my ideas of different concepts and price ranges as fact o uo;;

Tbh I've been mostly surprised by the lack of trust in Nintendo. Like they are pretty far behind in implementing paid online play, dlc expansions, and what not compared to other companies like EA and so far have been amazing with it all so I'm not entirely sure whether the fear of new horizons not being a finished game even comes from? Id understand if it was for PlayStation or Xbox but.... Nintendo is good to its fans imo.

Exactly, all the negative hysteria about the game is pure speculation and/or comparing it to other developers.

Exactly, all the negative hysteria about the game is pure speculation and/or comparing it to other developers.

Yeah, I mean every single "complaint" I've seen about new horizons aside from the graphics is.... all based on games made by other developers or based on pocket camp which is.... A free to play phone app?

And it throws me off because most of the complaints are from older fans so you think they would have more understanding of how the video game industry works and how the company they are buying from operates.

Nintendo is extremely generous with their online service prices, the content in their DLC, ensuring their games are given the time they need for proper development, and listen heavily to their fans regarding the type of content they want. They have listened to our begging for choosing where villagers live, a path system, living on the beach, back accessories, etc. And all they seem to get in return is people crying about stuff that does not and never will exist like micro transactions and stupid **** like that.

I know you're excited, but I don't think Animal Crossing is designed to have major paid DLC. Even if it was adding 5 new villagers of a new species or one shop to the game, it would go against the theme of Animal Crossing being a getaway roleplaying package that everyone can experience the same way once they own it. Basically, it would seperate players into two categories, paid DLC and non-DLC, instead of everyone being in the same world.
Expect free DLC for sure! That's my prediction.

I know you're excited, but I don't think Animal Crossing is designed to have major paid DLC. Even if it was adding 5 new villagers of a new species or one shop to the game, it would go against the theme of Animal Crossing being a getaway roleplaying package that everyone can experience the same way once they own it. Basically, it would seperate players into two categories, paid DLC and non-DLC, instead of everyone being in the same world.
Expect free DLC for sure! That's my prediction.

I like that idea as I feel paid memberships in game separate players from each other and kind of make the game less fun for the people who don't pay. I don't want NH to be like Pocket camp, because I feel like Pocket camp did not have an Animal Crossing feel, and was a money grabber which I so not want NH to be

Inevitable literally means that something is 100% certain to happen.. lol. You're bound to confuse somebody.

There's nothing wrong with worrying or speculating about the game, we're all here to discuss. You say that it won't affect anybody who doesn't buy it, but we all play together lol? and I think it would certainly do something to our tbt economy. I do agree that dlc would be nice (like the WA update), and I do think that programmers should be paid 100% for their work, but I think Nintendo has got enough money to cover them. Especially the way they're raking in dough from PC.

ps. I am not against Nintendo at all, I love them (obviously).

I like that idea as I feel paid memberships in game separate players from each other and kind of make the game less fun for the people who don't pay.

*cough cough* Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Already $60. *cough cough*

- - - Post Merge - - -

Inevitable literally means that something is 100% certain to happen.. lol. You're bound to confuse somebody.

There's nothing wrong with worrying or speculating about the game, we're all here to discuss. You say that it won't affect anybody who doesn't buy it, but we all play together lol? and I think it would certainly do something to our tbt economy. I do agree that dlc would be nice (like the WA update), and I do think that programmers should be paid 100% for their work, but I think Nintendo has got enough money to cover them. Especially the way they're raking in dough from PC.

I agree. I think if $60 per game purchase isn't enough for Nintendo to make an at least 99% complete game, then they are definitely doing something wrong.

Paid DLC is meant for free-to-play mobile game imho, I don't see why it's justified for an already expensive console game unless there is a darn good reason for it, like how Pokemon's DLC is meant to replace the normally third game.

Last edited:
For me, if paid DLC becomes a reality for New Horizons Im abandoning Nintendo and the game. It is the straw that breaks the camels back for me.

inevitable means something is unavoidable NOT that it has been confirmed. Because it really is unavoidable considering almost every single major title that has been released for the switch has had a DLC expansion pass added in. Every single gaming company uses DLC for games years after their release to spark interest and try to get people playing the game again and maybe even obtain new players through interesting additions to an already finished game or awareness of a game they never thought of before. (Excluding games like the sims which is dlc unfinished hell)

There are already region-specific items in animal crossing. certain villagers are only available via amiibo. Some amiibo cards are rare or not available in every country. There are region specific holidays in animal crossing. There have been dlc events that require you to be able to go to specific locations during specific time frames. None of these are considered to be unfair in the community at all despite it being impossible for players to get certain items unless they buy them from someone else online or hack the game. Paid DLC is meant for free-to-play mobile game imho, I don't see why it's justified for an already expensive console game unless there is a darn good reason for it, like how Pokemon's DLC is meant to replace the normally third game. i mean how is someone having a different type of chair than you unfair if they paid for the ability to have it and you not having that chair doesn't affect the gameplay AT ALL aside from jealousy that you do not have that chair.

It won't affect anyone who doesn't buy it because based on how Nintendo handles their DLC expansions it most likely won't just be items and villagers it will be a new experience that will be added on and not disrupt players who don't have it like with splatoon, botw, and pokemon.

Also, I am fine with speculation! that's exactly what this post is. However the amount of people commenting about how this will ruin new horizons, they refuse to get the game now, the dlc is too expensive, etc. Doesnt.... Make sense at all... Considering it is not confirmed, we do not have a price, and the post is literally speculation. Not my fault if people don't read past the title and assume I am giving confirmed information? But it is frustrating to have a million comments not focusing on the intent of this thread (what you want in a dlc package) but rather hysterical fears and complaints. There are enough threads complaining about dlc and other unconfirmed stuff this one was not supposed to be that.

greenfrog100 said:
Paid DLC is meant for free-to-play mobile game imho, I don't see why it's justified for an already expensive console game unless there is a darn good reason for it, like how Pokemon's DLC is meant to replace the normally third game.

Dlc started out as an addition to games you pay for to increase the experience and give players more to do in a game they love. There is nothing ever referred to as DLC in the free to play community. I mean I don't know how often you've ever played free to play games on your phone or on the computer but there is literally no dlc. You can "recharge" to get a different type of currency in order to obtain items in special events that require it, but never had a free to play game ever released dlc that required you to pay for. If anything it's a monthly membership to have access to some different areas or items bc is it typically free to play and devs need to make some kind of money off of it. (Hence why so many phone apps are filled with ads) players without the membership or ability to recharge are still able to play and have fun regularly without a ruined experience, just without the certain perks as someone who does pay for these things. Completely different than dlc which adds on to a game in a different way. You don't pay $20 to get x amount of in game currency and hope you get the item you want from the gatcha hell that are free to play games, you are told EXACTLY what you are getting and a new experience for the game such as brand new areas or functions. Welcome amino was only an update (not dlc really since your prompted to update when you start the game.) and added in a new area, new shop, new dlc, all new characters, and new furniture. That was their free update and their paid dlc is likely to contain way more if that was just a free thing they did.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I really do want to stress that this was supposed to be a positive thread about coming up with dlc ideas not a continuous cycle of people complaining about dlc as there is already a thread asking about if you would want it or not. :/ i can't control who comments or what just... Throwing that out there since it seems to be never ending and this is off topic imo. I asked what you all wanted in a dlc not how much you hate it and will abandon nintendo.

I dunno tbh, the word inevitable exact definition or not more or less means you personally believe it will be in the game, saying something that is confirmed in a game also means it will be in the game. Communication is not exact especially over the internet, your post says it's inevitable you can't exactly claim that other people took this too seriously or interpreted it wrong. I do think people are getting too hot but you did decided to post about a touchy topic with the opinion that it will be in the game no doubt. People read your post and took it as a serious discussion on DLC in animal crossing, a game which I'd argue many people hold dear to them. You could have phrased it like question which would have opened it more like a discussion, you can't necessarily blame other people completely for this turn out, everyone added to it.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have the best intentions, but I'm seeing the word "hysterical" pop up a lot to refer to complaints, and also describing people's aversion to paid dlc as just "jealousy" all seem pretty unfair. Maybe you feel complaints are spoiling your positive thread, but no one is obligated to feel loyalty to a brand...

We don't know for sure if dlc is inevitable or not, even if you think it's following a trend.

Just hoping they make the game incredibly secure and resistant to duping and hacking

I'm assuming you have the best intentions, but I'm seeing the word "hysterical" pop up a lot to refer to complaints, and also describing people's aversion to paid dlc as just "jealousy" all seem pretty unfair. Maybe you feel complaints are spoiling your positive thread, but no one is obligated to feel loyalty to a brand...

We don't know for sure if dlc is inevitable or not, even if you think it's following a trend.

The only reason hysterics is mentioned is because there are people saying that this ruined the game for them and they will no longer be getting it, that the game will just be pocket camp, dlc will make them no longer support nintendo, etc. I'm not talking about general complaints or concerns I mean the ones that make 0 sense at all as they have no basis in truth or are just extremely exaggerated or not really necessary.

The "jealouay" I mentioned was because people think it will be unfair when . There is no possible way for new horizons TO be unfair. If someone has an item you want but you can't afford the doc that's not being unfair that's jealousy.

Of course no one needs loyalty. If a brand ****s up they deserve to be penalized, however people are deciding this BEFORE Nintendo even has the opportunity

- - - Post Merge - - -

You could have phrased it like question which would have opened it more like a discussion, you can't necessarily blame other people completely for this turn out, everyone added to it.

The last sentence in my original post is "Is there anything you would want out of a paid or free dlc down the line?" Which is a question. I Get this is a touchy topic but there was already a thread for discussing whether Nintendo should have dlc.

I have to say, not buying the game and losing faith completely with the company that makes it is drastic beyond belief and certainly falls into the hysterical bracket for me. Nobody will be forced to buy it and Nintendo will find a way to implement it in such a way that no player is penalized for not owning it. Of course, this is if it ever happens.

I don't believe anybody will let these relatively minor things prevent them from buying the game, no matter how many times they type it on the forum.

inevitable means something is unavoidable NOT that it has been confirmed. Because it really is unavoidable considering almost every single major title that has been released for the switch has had a DLC expansion pass added in. Every single gaming company uses DLC for games years after their release to spark interest and try to get people playing the game again and maybe even obtain new players through interesting additions to an already finished game or awareness of a game they never thought of before. (Excluding games like the sims which is dlc unfinished hell)

There are already region-specific items in animal crossing. certain villagers are only available via amiibo. Some amiibo cards are rare or not available in every country. There are region specific holidays in animal crossing. There have been dlc events that require you to be able to go to specific locations during specific time frames. None of these are considered to be unfair in the community at all despite it being impossible for players to get certain items unless they buy them from someone else online or hack the game. Paid DLC is meant for free-to-play mobile game imho, I don't see why it's justified for an already expensive console game unless there is a darn good reason for it, like how Pokemon's DLC is meant to replace the normally third game. i mean how is someone having a different type of chair than you unfair if they paid for the ability to have it and you not having that chair doesn't affect the gameplay AT ALL aside from jealousy that you do not have that chair.

It won't affect anyone who doesn't buy it because based on how Nintendo handles their DLC expansions it most likely won't just be items and villagers it will be a new experience that will be added on and not disrupt players who don't have it like with splatoon, botw, and pokemon.

Also, I am fine with speculation! that's exactly what this post is. However the amount of people commenting about how this will ruin new horizons, they refuse to get the game now, the dlc is too expensive, etc. Doesnt.... Make sense at all... Considering it is not confirmed, we do not have a price, and the post is literally speculation. Not my fault if people don't read past the title and assume I am giving confirmed information? But it is frustrating to have a million comments not focusing on the intent of this thread (what you want in a dlc package) but rather hysterical fears and complaints. There are enough threads complaining about dlc and other unconfirmed stuff this one was not supposed to be that.

Dlc started out as an addition to games you pay for to increase the experience and give players more to do in a game they love. There is nothing ever referred to as DLC in the free to play community. I mean I don't know how often you've ever played free to play games on your phone or on the computer but there is literally no dlc. You can "recharge" to get a different type of currency in order to obtain items in special events that require it, but never had a free to play game ever released dlc that required you to pay for. If anything it's a monthly membership to have access to some different areas or items bc is it typically free to play and devs need to make some kind of money off of it. (Hence why so many phone apps are filled with ads) players without the membership or ability to recharge are still able to play and have fun regularly without a ruined experience, just without the certain perks as someone who does pay for these things. Completely different than dlc which adds on to a game in a different way. You don't pay $20 to get x amount of in game currency and hope you get the item you want from the gatcha hell that are free to play games, you are told EXACTLY what you are getting and a new experience for the game such as brand new areas or functions. Welcome amino was only an update (not dlc really since your prompted to update when you start the game.) and added in a new area, new shop, new dlc, all new characters, and new furniture. That was their free update and their paid dlc is likely to contain way more if that was just a free thing they did.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I really do want to stress that this was supposed to be a positive thread about coming up with dlc ideas not a continuous cycle of people complaining about dlc as there is already a thread asking about if you would want it or not. :/ i can't control who comments or what just... Throwing that out there since it seems to be never ending and this is off topic imo. I asked what you all wanted in a dlc not how much you hate it and will abandon nintendo.
The only reason hysterics is mentioned is because there are people saying that this ruined the game for them and they will no longer be getting it, that the game will just be pocket camp, dlc will make them no longer support nintendo, etc. I'm not talking about general complaints or concerns I mean the ones that make 0 sense at all as they have no basis in truth or are just extremely exaggerated or not really necessary.

The "jealouay" I mentioned was because people think it will be unfair when . There is no possible way for new horizons TO be unfair. If someone has an item you want but you can't afford the doc that's not being unfair that's jealousy.

Of course no one needs loyalty. If a brand ****s up they deserve to be penalized, however people are deciding this BEFORE Nintendo even has the opportunity

- - - Post Merge - - -

The last sentence in my original post is "Is there anything you would want out of a paid or free dlc down the line?" Which is a question. I Get this is a touchy topic but there was already a thread for discussing whether Nintendo should have dlc.
First of all, unavoidable means that it's definite (which means it's confirmed...). I think you're spreading the most negativity in this thread. Most of us fans are rational, lol. You generalizing us like that makes us sound like we all despise Nintendo and the franchise because of something super tiny. We are just worried about the game because we love it so much and it's going to be something we spend lots of our time on. It's dear to us lol and we are just excited. I just find the cost would be unnecessary because they're a huge company with a value of over $37 billion dollars and are only making more. Also, what cicely said:

- - - Post Merge - - -

And dismissing people who can't afford $50 paid DLC, and/or feel like it would subdivide the forums, as "jealous" sounds a little bit callous..

Last edited:

That is a question but it's not an open question, this question forces your opinion that is there is going to be paid DLC in ACNH and some people disagree with that idea. So when people comment on this post, if they disagree with you - instead of being able to provide a simple opinion - they now have to disagree with you and prove why in order to provide their opinion. Neither party in this scenario necessarily mean to be opposing but that's just a result. A more open question of: Do you think ___, or what are your opinions on ____.I just think that maybe because of that things escalated a bit more than it had too. I don't think anyone really meant any crassness in this discussion.

Not all DLC is bad and Nintendo has implemented it in the past and very well, and I don't necessarily think you're wrong that there is a possibility that it could happen, because Nintendo has done it in the past and pocket camp is a prime example. However I just disagree with that possibility being a likelihood is all.

Paid DLC? I don't know her.

DLC like in New Leaf is most welcome. I wouldn't mind that at all. But I don't want to have to pay more on top of the $60 for the game for something that should have already been included.

Of course it's different if they do some sort of Sanrio DLC as Sanrio is a trademark in itself.
Also I say 100% NO to ANY Pocket Crap integration.

Back