• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Paid DLC is inevitable and I am EXCITED

Yes, plus it always stuck me as odd that the title is New Horizons not New Horizon.

I wonder if they will go all-out with any possible new islands or if they will be more realistic and tamed like the usual animal crossing vibe.
I am honestly hoping they manage to tie in npc backstories somehow, i miss getting to hear mabel/sabels childhood memories and would love to hear more about everyone else. Would be interesting if we got to go to treehut and meet everyone's family members or something.

The game itself is a new experience.

It is. However, it?s only new for so long. 2-3 years down the line it?s not a new experience anymore. Therefore DLC could bring some life back into the game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I wonder if they will go all-out with any possible new islands or if they will be more realistic and tamed like the usual animal crossing vibe.
I am honestly hoping they manage to tie in npc backstories somehow, i miss getting to hear mabel/sabels childhood memories and would love to hear more about everyone else. Would be interesting if we got to go to treehut and meet everyone's family members or something.

Oooh that would be neat. I would want to learn more about each character’s backstory.

If DLC included new islands, I hope a big part of their addition would be new crafting materials/recipes, special bugs, fish, flowers, etc. aside from just having a blank slate to decorate a town all over again.

For all we know though, that could be the case with New Horizons' base game. We see Harvey is on his own remote island with lots of cedar trees around and a dock, implying we'll sail there. Maybe the base game has different islands of different biomes to we sail around to for new materials and such? Would be very cool!

If DLC included new islands, I hope a big part of their addition would be new crafting materials/recipes, special bugs, fish, flowers, etc. aside from just having a blank slate to decorate a town all over again.

For all we know though, that could be the case with New Horizons' base game. We see Harvey is on his own remote island with lots of cedar trees around and a dock, implying we'll sail there. Maybe the base game has different islands of different biomes to we sail around to for new materials and such? Would be very cool!

I am REALLY hoping we can travel to different biomes from the start to get different materials. We already had the forever summer island in New leaf, but if they had bigger islands based in different types of environments that would be amazing! A jungle biome with different frog species that sit on the trees please. I need my colorful froggy friends :c

Possibly. In some screenshots you see different islands in the distance. Hopefully it’s not just for looks and you can actually travel there. We shall see soon.

Possibly. In some screenshots you see different islands in the distance. Hopefully it’s not just for looks and you can actually travel there. We shall see soon.

I don't know, I don't think they'd just leave the plane there for no reason. I mean Kapp'n stayed on the dock to take you to the island in NL. I think we're going to be able to go to other places, we just can't really know where that is.

I don't know, I don't think they'd just leave the plane there for no reason. I mean Kapp'n stayed on the dock to take you to the island in NL. I think we're going to be able to go to other places, we just can't really know where that is.
I think it’d be cool if the plane took you to like other player islands, but there was still a boat to take you to the island closer to your own island. Like the islands in the background.

I think it’d be cool if the plane took you to like other player islands, but there was still a boat to take you to the island closer to your own island. Like the islands in the background.

That’s what I think it’ll be.

The dock on Harvey’s little island along with the dock on ours makes it seem like there will definitely be boats involved. We’ve had two modes of transportation in ACNL, too, not to forget (train and boat). The plane would simply substitute the train.

There's a ton of replies in this post so I'm gonna post this without reading many ideas so they might overlap!

My main theory and hope for this game is that ALL villagers from the beginning of time will become available. Possibly all villagers in new leaf (and maybe WA) will become staple villagers to appear in your island naturally, but any villager not currently available by amiibo cards (like e+ villagers and others that didn't make the WA cut) will be the new amiibo card DLC that will be obtainable through harvey's campsite. Like OP said, I'm not opposed to amiibo DLC since it's kind of a normal thing now for many years. Although I much rather prefer free DLC, I wouldn't mind paid DLC if it was a huge expansion or addition to the game that wouldn't normally affect "regular gameplay". A DLC idea that I see possible is a Paid DLC where a new island is introduced solely for multiplayer like Club Tortimer. Multiplayer activities and items could be available here. I probably wouldn't buy it (or hold off on buying it) a DLC pack like this unless it was under 20 bucks because I didn't really like CT in NL and it's not something that affects my regular gameplay. Plus, many items that may be available through paid DLC could be tradable, which is how I would normally obtain them. However, if it was a paid DLC that gives us more gameplay on our personal island, like expanding the size or being able to design a secondary offshore island, I would definitely buy it. If they bring HHD type elements into the game where we can design NPCs houses, I have an idea that maybe a DLC could be an island where all the NPCs live and we can design the island as well as their homes.

Material things like additional hairstyles, new furniture sets and items, new events, and new house/store upgrades I hope to be FREE DLC that comes with updates and patches every so often like they do in splatoon. I'm also hoping that ACNH has its own nintendo online app where we can purchase these for free or IGB and pick them up at our town. I could also see certain items being available by using platinum points on mynintendo.

Edit /

I would also like to point out that NX system is much larger than 3ds so if we get a smaller island to start with and have paid dlc to upgrade to a larger one, while I would still buy it, I would feel real salty about it lmao. I don't like it when a game has potential to have all these kinds of features in the beginning only to add it later on with paid dlc. 60 bucks for a game should have already covered a larger island.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yes, plus it always stuck me as odd that the title is New Horizons not New Horizon.

That's stood out to me too. I don't know the exact name in Japanese, but I wonder if that is also plural.

What I was thinking was this is the island package. Maybe once you reach a certain goal, Nook offers you a new package somewhere else.

Maybe a couple of years down the line when gameplay starts to get repetitive.
I just really hope the base game has the amount of content that it ought to.

I really dislike paid digital DLC for physically released games, I hope them adding subscriptions to Pocket Camp means that Nintendo will avoid that for New Horizons. Of course I'm not against new content, the Amiibo update for New Leaf was a nice addition to the base game, but I'd rather see the game as a complete experience that sometimes gets little updates for promotional items or whatever. If anything they should add a nice online island that's even better than the one in New Leaf considering online already requires a subscription.

I see this game also added DLC, just think about it, you want the game to be fresh and fun with stuff to do, and with it being on switch there can do more updates than on the 3ds,

If a DLC offers a good amount of new content and it's worth it's money in general then I don't have a problem with it and would buy it. After all, Splatoon 2 for example was even more fun to play after they released the Octo Expansion and it was the best 20? I spent on a DLC so far.

I was just thinking about this. I really hope that DLC isn't the reason we've only seen early stages of the game so far...

I was just thinking about this. I really hope that DLC isn't the reason we've only seen early stages of the game so far...

That's a good point and a scary one ٩꒰ʘʚʘ๑꒱۶
But I think they're probably doing something that'll blow us away haha or I'm hoping at least ⸌̷̻ ( ᷇๑ॢ˃̶͈̀ ꇴ ˂̶͈́๑ॢ) ⸌̷̻

I doubt this 100%, Nintendo isn't a company that uses dlc to finish an unfinished game like most other major gaming companies have done pretty often. I Think they just want to prolong the excitement for the game and not spoil all the different possible outcomes you can have since it was implied that the choices you make in the game determine how your island grows. The animal crossing community is very detail oriented and will pick the smallest things out of a screenshot, Nintendo might just want to wait for the release to drop all of the major changes that occur later in the game/may want players to figure it out themselves while they play. This way the experience of crafting and building the deserted island up from nothing isn't really spoiled before anyone has the chance to play it.

I definitely want to see something more "finished" once the game is about to come out, but after thinking it over a lot of life simulator games show you the "finished" result of fixing up a building, upgrading your house, etc. And it takes away that initial surprise and excitement for players to finally see what all of their hard work will become.

I?m plenty excited for all the stuff the DLC includes but I?m still bummed out that it?s paid and it?s not cheap either. Like bruh it costs half as much as the actual game. Nintendo getting greedier by the minute. I remember we didn?t have to pay for online service and now we?re paying for extra content in game like what?s next?? Having to pay to get event Pok?mon from GameStop too?? God!

I’m plenty excited for all the stuff the DLC includes but I’m still bummed out that it’s paid and it’s not cheap either. Like bruh it costs half as much as the actual game. Nintendo getting greedier by the minute. I remember we didn’t have to pay for online service and now we’re paying for extra content in game like what’s next?? Having to pay to get event Pok?mon from GameStop too?? God!

We don't know yet, it's just speculation.

Um, DLC hasn't been announced. I understand speculating but why are people acting like it has and even complaining about the price?

LOL, what's happening here?

Back