• Current Championship Time (EDT)
  • Join us for live Animal Crossing Trivia today at 11AM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

Competitive Pokémon Shiny Hunt

sending what i've gotten for now! my luck be crazy rn (it's about to run out i can feel it)

🎯🔥 Hot Target: Gyarados 🔥🎯
1716083765698.png

1716083779605.png

here's my trainer ID if you need verification! My trainer name is Milk :]
1716084384061.png

1716084108887.png

fly high magikarp.......

1716084130497.png

i was just travelling when i saw this guy wth
me: why does that magnemite look sus..... is it just the lighting or......

1716084219959.png

in hindsight i do not understand how i saw the shiny marill from this far away (try to find it in this pic i promise it's here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, I’d love to do this! Looks like it’s time for me to go ahead and break out my violet game cartridge, create shiny sandwiches and start hunting!

By the way, is the DLC required to do this?

oh im dumb but if we catch multiple hot targets of the same pokemon, does each one count individually towards points? :0 so i know if i should focus on magikarp/gyarados lol

Did a quick hunting session, so I'll share what I got!
Had a rowlet outbreak, tried to get a round friend-shaped borb, but unfortunately only found not-so-friend-shaped deer(still a friend tho)
1000007502.jpg

1000007503.jpg

Then decided to find another friend-shaped green mon, so here's the target marill✨
1000007501.jpg

He's hungy

1000007504.jpg

I’m stuck on a long road trip tomorrow but I’m glad this is the one thing for this event I can work on without internet and just submit tomorrow night. I love that the older games are included too. Gen 6 is one of my favourite gens to shiny hunt in. Should be fun!

Can we catch the target pokemon multiple times or is it just the first one of each that counts?

wait actually are multiple of the same shiny allowed? There was nothing in the rules saying otherwise, and the way points are given out for "most shinies" and "most target shinies" makes it seem like multiples are allowed
Post automatically merged:

if so...
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
honestly, I might be the only one in thinking that catching and evolving the pre-evo form won't count

the logic being that finding evolved mons is generally harder, so going after the easier to obtain stage kinda devalues the work those that who caught the evolved form. ignore there being a certain guaranteed shiny gyarados in this series, which I've already asked about

plus it feels like perhaps the hot targets are gonne generally meant to be more difficult to obtain, which catching a shiny magikarp to evolve might be some peak uber level of undermining a shiny hunt

but this is ofc only speculation on my part, and hopefully we can get answers soon

the logic being that finding evolved mons is generally harder, so going after the easier to obtain stage kinda devalues the work those that who caught the evolved form.
Honestly you make a good point and I was worried about that, however to counter-argue not all evolved mons are harder to hunt, for example in Pokemon SV both Magikarp and Azurill can spawn in outbreaks just as Gyarados and Marill can, and I'd argue in the case of Azurill/Marill, it's way harder to get an Azurill then evolve it to Marill because you need max friendship points

Plus not being able to evolve the mon completely removes one shiny hunting method (masuda method) and I think that sucks for players who rely more on breeding than catching in the wild

Then again ofc this is all speculation 😭 honestly hesitating now on wasting my time with the shiny magikarp I caught (albeit it only took me a few minutes, but still). Hopefully the rules can be clarified soon! 🤸🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
Plus not being able to evolve the mon completely removes one shiny hunting method (matsuda method) and I think that sucks for players who rely more on breeding than catching in the wild

masuda, not matsuda

but fr, yeah, those are all valid points. but man, can I just say I'm currently masuda+shiny+oval charm hunting for non-target shinies, since all listed rn are either not in gen 6 or I already have, and given how much of a pain shiny hunting can be, even for more points, I can't bring myself to go for what I already have when I'd like to have a full shiny living dex (delusional, I'm aware), and I'm already out here wishing I could just chain hunt for this **** with how unproductively tedious it's been lmao

(ftr, is breeding for shiny bulbasaurs atm. 0 obtained so far)

masuda, not matsuda

but fr, yeah, those are all valid points. but man, can I just say I'm currently masuda+shiny+oval charm hunting for non-target shinies, since all listed rn are either not in gen 6 or I already have, and given how much of a pain shiny hunting can be, even for more points, I can't bring myself to go for what I already have when I'd like to have a full shiny living dex (delusional, I'm aware), and I'm already out here wishing I could just chain hunt for this **** with how unproductively tedious it's been lmao

(ftr, is breeding for shiny bulbasaurs atm. 0 obtained so far)
oh my god im so sorry i keep misspelling it OTL
and fr tho its a pain in general to masuda method 😭 im doing that rn in SV with alolan vulpix and im 800 eggs in and not a single shiny..... im already with shiny charm........ OTL

anw hope the rules for this comp will be more forgiving 🤞 shiny hunting is a pain in itself hhhh 😭🥹

Okay, there were a number of questions in here and a few were duplicates, so I've not quoted everyone who asked a Q but rather the first instance of it occurring. Let me know if I've missed anything!

my beloved pink dratini 🥹💗

also a question: what if my trainer name doesn't match my tbt name?
So, rather than matching it to your TBT username, what I'm looking at here is making sure your trainer name is consistent screenshot to screenshot. e.g. say someone submitted screenshots with the OT "Mike" in HeartGold but "Michael" in Sword, not a bother. But if we went from "Mike" to "Andrew" to "Paul" I'd be questioning the legitimacy of it and asking for name card proof! :)

I see gyarados and hgss

so does the lake of rage red gyarados count?
Yes, it does!

Question—in the case of evolved shinies such as Gyarados, do they need to be caught as a Gyarados, or will it count if we catch a shiny Magikarp and evolve it?
Evolving is a valid method.

Sword/Shield omitted on purpose or in error?
They're now on the list!

By the way, is the DLC required to do this?
This event covers many Gen 4-9 games, so there aren't any specific requirements!

oh im dumb but if we catch multiple hot targets of the same pokemon, does each one count individually towards points? :0 so i know if i should focus on magikarp/gyarados lol
Each target Pokémon only counts once.

Back