• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Popular Villagers or Uncommon!?

Do you prefer the “Popular” villagers or the “uncommon ones”

• Popular

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Unpopular

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Like all

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t pay much attention to who is popular and who is not, so I like all. I invite any I like regardless of their popularity. Atm, I’m cycling some of my villagers to try more out and to get their pictures 🙂.

Neither and both. I like the villagers that I like and they happen to be spread across all the various tiers of popularity tier lists. I don't pay any attention to that aspect though, and only ever did back in New Leaf because it influenced how much people would ask for to sell villagers here on the forums. Once amiibo became a thing, I had no more reason to pay it any attention since I could just scan in villagers myself.

The vast majority of my favorites are very unpopular. Anteaters, gorillas, mice, monkeys, hippos….

Of course, that’s not WHY I choose villagers. There are a handful of popular ones that I like as well, most notably Lolly, a permanent resident of my NL town. And I like the dog and sheep villagers a lot, which tend to be fairly well-loved. But the very pastel cutesy aesthetic isn’t my personal taste, so I tend to lean away from a lot of the mega-popular villagers.

Meeting new villagers and getting attached to them is my favorite thing about the AC franchise as a whole. I would never have guessed that Benedict the chicken or Huck the frog would be permanent residents of Anthology, but here they are!

I think everyone has made the same point, which is important. Enjoy the villagers that YOU like! Almost all of my villagers are very low on tier lists, but I love each and every one.

I had Raymond on my island (very popular!) but I was okay letting him go for a new villager that I fell for. I later found out the new villager was very unpopular, but It didn't sway me at all.

If you like them, that's all that matters.

Man, let me like who I like.

Anyone who has to follow the hive mind of the popular villagers are missing out.

Besides, if you don’t have any unpopular villagers you grew to like, then you wouldn’t like the unpopular villagers anyway.

452974094_845011637593186_7952300013490571708_n.jpg

My town/island villagers are generally a cross section of villager types that I happen to like without regard to whether they're popular or not.The citizens of Wagasi are a fairly typical representation of which kinds villagers I put together in a town or on an island.

My villagers were chosen based on color scheme and species. Popularity has nothing to do with who resides on my island. I wouldn't say any of my villagers are considered popular aside from Goldie, Chief and maybe Bones.

There are no villagers that I dislike, however some of my favourite villagers are Agnes, Gayle, Teddy, Pinky (and basically all of the bears), Puck, Patty, Fang, Louie, and I'm sure a bunch of others I've forgotten.

I've got some villagers that are considered popular (Bob, Tom, Dotty, Poncho, Kyle), some in the middle but are still generally liked by many (Cherry, Lopez, Caroline) and two that I think don't really get much attention (Patty and Mallary). I don't go off popularity lists whatsoever, as it's all a bunch of bologna. I chose quite a few of my current villagers based off factors other than appearance:
  • In Patty's case, she's my longest-tenured and final random resident and grew on me hard over time, despite not wanting her to stay at first.
  • Mallary was the earliest villager I remember having back when City Folk was the newest entry, and I've made a commitment since to try and have her become a resident in all my main towns. It's quite surprising how rarely she gets mentioned anywhere in the AC world considering her appearance in every game.
  • Kyle is similar to me in several ways, and we share birthdays. No-brainer, don't you think?
  • Bob's funny smirk is why I like him so much. I really don't mind if he's a pink and purple cat and wears a flower shirt by default; he's a classic lazy villager.
  • I once only liked Cherry because of a streamer's hilarious antics with her, but it later turned to me liking her a lot non-ironically. There's just something about her tomboy-like appearance paired with her super easygoing and chill sisterly personality that makes me appreciate her more.
  • Creating a deeper backstory around Tom's former boxing career is pretty fun, gotta say.
  • Dotty resembles my former childhood pet. She does not need to look any different than she does now; her cuteness and ability to be dressed up in all sort of ways is what I love most about her. The red eyes don't bother me at all. In fact, they give her character.
  • Lopez is probably the only one I picked due to looks. He is so cool and underappreciated as a deer villager, and trust me, I have a soft spot for almost all of them. I'm even starting to appreciate Deirdre more, and there was a period where I thought she was ugly. If I had a deer-only town, Lopez would definitely be front and center, despite not being the top deer in many popularity lists. It probably won't be long until he becomes my personal all-time favorite.
  • Poncho is one of those jock villagers where it is quite hilarious to see him brag about muscles. While I still think that Scoot is most hilarious when it comes to this, Poncho could be seen as a growing cub wanting to become a strong bear, which makes sense.
  • Caroline matches this game's theme perfectly. Her catchphrase is Hawaiian, and for some reason, is somewhat underappreciated as a squirrel villager. This is actually understandable considering how many other good squirrel villagers there are in the game.
While appearance does play a large factor in a villager's overall popularity, there's still that occasional moment in every AC player which makes them like "unpopular" villagers for other reasons. It's a different scenario for everyone, and is one of the reasons why this game has so many likeable characters to enjoy talking to.

Overall I like the popular ones more (not every one of course). Popularity does not come out of thin air and it's no wonder that people prefer cute or more pleasantly looking villagers. And I'm there too.

Back