• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Telling your friends you love them?

Do you tell your friends you love them?

• Yeah, it’s perfectly normal. I make sure they’re comfortable with it, though.

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • No, that’s weird.

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters
I don't think it's weird to say "I love you" between friends (as long as you mean it ofc); however, I'm quite emotionally guarded so I can be awkward and evasive when a friend says it to me. Working on it, though!

This is a much harder phrase to say coming from the male side, as I've never been in a real relationship.

Regrettably, back in high school, I did tell a female friend once that I had feelings for them. They did not feel the same for me, which was understandable. However, I felt incredibly embarrassed after the fact and never brought it up with her again. That little bit of weirdness didn't stop us from still being friends at the time, thankfully, as we still hung out quite a bit afterwards. At least I now have somewhat of an understanding of what I can and cannot say at certain points in a friendship.

I don't consider myself a part of any friend groups these days, so I really don't get a single opportunity to tell anyone that I love them other than family members, which isn't weird whatsoever.

I don't think it's weird to say to close friends, but I'm not super great at being expressive/demonstrative, so I admit it can be hard for me. I tell my partner I love him regularly and that is easy. I also tell my best friend that I love her, since she says it to me and I've slowly become more comfortable saying it (and it's certainly true!) I've said it to a handful of other friends over the course of my life, although she's probably the only one I say it to currently.

i say i love you to my gf and my family, but i don’t think i’ve ever said it to a friend. i wouldn’t be opposed, but it doesn’t seem like a natural thing for me to say either.

I don't really think it's weird, but it's probably only something you say to really close friends cause when it's someone you're just getting to know that's when it's kinda creepy to me.

Back