• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The ACNH Rant Thread

Wait what glitch is happening with the - button?
I thought the 'only' problem was that you get set back a few minutes when the timer runs out

It appears your data can be deleted (as in, your entire game will be lost). I should add it's not as common (or nearly as common) as other glitches, by the looks of it.

It also resets the multiplayer session.

1. Players lose all saved progress as they are reverted back to the last successful save
2. NPCs are reset. This means villagers who were crafting stop crafting. If you had Celeste, Daisy Mae, or Sahara trapped, they will no longer be trapped.
3. All players are moved to the airport.

The complete lack of every classic furniture set in the series has completely demotivated me from house decoration. I haven't touched my house in a month and haven't bothered paying off the third-to-last debt even though I can afford it. My Gorgeous, Rococo and Gothic sets are gone, man. Not having cohesive furniture sets to collect has left me pretty bored. I haven't touched the game in a week. This game is breaking my heart with its... incompleteness.

She announces meteor showers too, at least for me--I've heard some people say she doesn't for them and I have no clue why that is. But yeah I don't get why she doesn't announce visitors :( I kinda also wish she did full weather reports like saying it's gonna be rainy later, clear all day, there's a thunderstorm right now, etc.
Yeah I've had several nights where shooting stars/Celeste showed up randomly, maybe like 2 or even 10 at a time, but only today has Isabelle announced a meteor shower. I'm guessing shooting stars existing =/= meteor shower?

I know for a fact that it's been said before but I CAN'T STAND HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GO TO/LEAVE AN ISLAND??? I'm just trying to sell my turnips, why does my game have to get interrupted every single time someone wants to come/is actually flying/leaves? It's impossible to take more than a couple of steps without that stupid "Someone's on their way here!" notification, and makes it almost not worth it to go to other islands to sell. It's just such a pain! And if Orville tells me "Wuh-oh" again because someone "forgot to put their NookPhone in airplane mode," I'm going to go crazy. The loading screens are so unnecessarily long, and I really don't remember other AC games having this problem.

I wish we had access to our in-house storage when we’re outside or even in the Residential Building somehow. Like a specific kind of box specifically linked with the storage.

When you open the box, two windows can pop up. One side for the inventory, the other side for the storage

New Horizons really does have its own problems. I had more to complain about days ago but I'm now more sleepy-feeling now so I'll just quote others that have the same problems I have with the game. (There's over 70 pages of ranting, so I'd really be repeating a majority of posts if I wrote everything I didn't like here. First, a list of things that may or may not be quoted below...
  • Insanely picky nature - By that, I mean how New Horizons seems to care insanely about the environment more than anything else. Want to put a fish or something into your storage, alive? Go ahead! Want to put a flower or tre--DON'T YOU DARE, PLAYER!

Since I'm in the middle of redesigning parts of the island, I have to remove flowers and trees. Thankfully, Island Designer's cleanup service lets me easily remove trees without wasting shovel durability, but that doesn't save me from uprooting flowers and then having to sell them all because I can't toss them into storage until it's all done.
  • Magical Mabel - I don't understand that hedgehog. She clearly shouldn't know about it, but she can somehow always tell when I'm transformed into one of my outfits, even though she at first has never seen my magic wand. Want to know what's really wrong with this? Well, if I'm currently in "construction" mode, wearing the hard hat, she'll force it off before I enter the changing room. Well, if the game can force off the hat, why can't it just silently force me to detransform too? It's inconsistent!
  • Blathers menu inconsistency - Though minor, it can be slightly annoying to choose "I want to donate" when I only have un-assessed fossils in my pockets. Blathers, if you somehow know I have them, why not ask me to give you the fossils? Also, after sitting through his reminder about what he accepts, he ends the conversation. Yet, when finishing assessing fossils, why does he return to the menu then, but yet not when trying to give him un-assessed fossils? I don't understand.
  • Magic item transfers - Though some interactions show my character trading money for an item (mainly seen with Kicks and Leif), some things randomly don't! For example, donating multiple things to Blathers will make him say something like "no, no need to get them out! I'll take it from here.". Well, Blathers, how did you just get the things from my pockets by visually doing nothing? It isn't required, but it really breaks the immersion. Same for when I tell Tom Nook I want to build something. Immediately after picking what I'd like, he somehow magically gives me the kit, but there's nothing showing that he even did it. Sometimes, it feels like Nintendo skipped some things. Sure, the trading animation is annoyingly slow, but it should still be there, even sped up.
Anyways, here's the quotes:
only thing that makes me legitimately furious is that i cant put watering cans on top of tables or anything. They can only be put on the ground.
This is really a confusing design choice. Things like tools and wands should be able to be placed on tables, as they can be pretty cute, even when not held by a human. Another thing I don't like about placed tools is how unnaturally they're placed. All of them defy physics and gravity, standing up at a slight angle. I think they should only have this orientation if placed against a wall, and should otherwise be placed flat on the floor/table.
Just let me let go of a tool from the menu while I'm in my house! Or just let me put it in storage anyway and have it so I'm not holding anything when I go back out. It's so annoying when I go to dump my inventory into storage only to realize I forgot to let go of a tool and now have to go outside, put it away, and go back inside.
That really is stupid. I walk into my house holding a tool or umbrella sometimes only to see it's got the "selected" icon beside it despite not being currently held by my character. If it isn't held, why doesn't the game let me toss it into storage without having to bring out a wand or instrument first? Really, I don't see why they prevent using tools indoors. It'd make for good pictures, holding umbrellas or even the Star Net's cuteness. I understand not bringing in the shovel, axe, watering can, or other things, but why not the umbrella and net?
I know this has been said previously but I wish NH took a leaf out of Wild World's book in terms of dialogue. There was so much personality in that game, even with the special characters. Maybe I'm looking at it with my nostalgia goggles but I felt like we heard a lot about their backstories then like why Blathers is afraid of bugs, Sable talking about raising Mabel on her own after their parents' death, Mable actually talking to you about the store etc.

New Leaf made it short and now, the dialogues in New Horizons are even shorter and get repetitive pretty quickly.
Nah... I'm probably pretty nostalgic for Wild World myself, but I don't think it's just nostalgia; Wild World really did have longer, more interesting conversations with the animals. Usually every conversation turns into something funny or a question, or a slider! That's basically nowhere to be seen in New Horizons, and when there are multiple choices, it's just "yes" or "yes, said slightly differently".
Villagers getting in the way of terraforming.
For me, this has only happened once so far, but I was making an X-shaped river, filling it in. As I was going around the X, Cube was somehow trapped in the middle. I got past him and got most of the rest done, but I had to stop and wait for him to walk out before I could finally finish. It'd be useful if there was some way to alert animals to not come near you during construction.
I walked up to Pompom yesterday and decided to talk to her.
Tapped A.
"Hm, I wonder what I'm going to do later today..."

That was it. I didn't get an option to help her decide or anything, just a waste of time. Villager dialogue and relationships are so dull and drab, I was really hoping it'd be a step up from New Leaf but no.
Yeah, what happened to conversations in Animal Crossing? In Wild World, I remember getting decent-length conversations every time I talked to an animal. Now, it's almost-pointless (other than making sure the animal doesn't think I've been ignoring them), as it's probably just going to be a single "box" of dialogue.

It's so boring and predictable talking to my two smug animals just knowing one of them is going to say something like "I'm just enjoying paradise, or as I call it, Isle Xane..." and "Spring is good! I'm just basking in it, Xane." every day. Only good thing about this game's dialogue compared to New Leaf is that I don't have random animals asking me to take a break. That was not needed, New Leaf.
Walk more than 2 feet away from a music player outside and you can no longer hear it, the game's background music is too obnoxiously loud. The radius needs to be increased by 3x
Agreed. Stereos and stuff are basically useless outside. My character has to be literally standing in front of one for it to play at full volume without the constant hourly music bleeding through it. How come these same speakers work really well indoors, but then outside become the quietest things?
I currently travel back in time to cycle my double personality villagers out, and the Able Sisters suddenly has so much better clothing to offer??? I'm only at the 27th, but like I have 5 rows of hats for example. And a bunch of new pretty tops.
I've noticed that myself too. Normally, my Able Sisters has kinda-iffy tops, some skirts, and predictable shoes nearly every single day, but I've recently time-travelled back to my previous birthday. When I did that, I started visiting Able Sisters and items I've never seen in my shop are there. The victorian dress? Suddenly in the store. The cute Giant Ribbon I like? Finally appears in every color. Dreamy Dress? Same! It really does feel like the game's rewarding me for doing what I never did before my obsession with the Birthday Hat grew too big to contain. (Anyone got the pink one? I've got orange!)

The complete lack of every classic furniture set in the series has completely demotivated me from house decoration. I haven't touched my house in a month and haven't bothered paying off the third-to-last debt even though I can afford it. My Gorgeous, Rococo and Gothic sets are gone, man. Not having cohesive furniture sets to collect has left me pretty bored. I haven't touched the game in a week. This game is breaking my heart with its... incompleteness.

Tell me about it. Some people seem to be okay with or even welcome the lack of classic furniture sets since: 1. now we can make real rooms and 2. now we can have normal funriture and try something new. But imo, it just makes the uniqueness of houses worse...all the kitchen has ironwood sets, all the bathrooms have the same items, and there's no going super regal or fancy with your decor (which was ALWAYS my style). If they wanted us to try this, why did they have to get rid of other funriture sets??? WHy not have both???? This is the biggest thing that leaves me dumbfounded.

Feel like we’ve been massively cut short. Idk whether it’s because we’ve had so much extra time to play that it’s becoming repetitive but I want new stuff and I don’t think the AC community can wait without getting burnt out. It took me ages to get even a 3* rating as I was trying to help other people get things from their wishlists. Even now I’ve not started to terraform because I don’t feel like the ‘help guide’ was actually much help at all.

Nah... I'm probably pretty nostalgic for Wild World myself, but I don't think it's just nostalgia; Wild World really did have longer, more interesting conversations with the animals. Usually every conversation turns into something funny or a question, or a slider! That's basically nowhere to be seen in New Horizons, and when there are multiple choices, it's just "yes" or "yes, said slightly differently".
I gotta say, I actually really like the NH dialogue except for a few complaints I mostly consider minor. I have no nostalgia for WW as I only played it after NL, which was my first game. But the person you're quoting brought up the special NPCs and it made me think:
I really don't understand why in both NL and NH, there is almost zero lore surrounding the special NPCs or interaction with them beyond them telling you the same repetitive thing 20 times a day. Apparently you get some of this in HHD, but I've barely played it--I might need to pick it back up sometime just to scan in all the NPCs whose amiibo cards I have. Idk about City Folk, never played it, but in Wild World you have all those little episodes with so many characters including the mail pelicans! In NL and NH both I'm pretty sure you only really get any backstory from the able sisters? And then I guess there's Kapp'n's songs and the little interactions you got from the Roost, both of which I really want back. And I think I heard CJ and Flick give you a bit if you keep commissioning them? Which I do appreciate, but... I'm gonna be honest, as someone who actually loves Isabelle, it's pretty much just because she's cute and helpful at the start of NL. That's all. She has very little character and it's not even her fault, and I'm actually grateful for her repetitive announcements talking about the tv shows she watches or whatever because they give her a slight bit of character. I also kinda hate Orville and Wilbur because they have literally no dialogue in the whole game except for stupid repetitive dialogue trees and stuff telling me I've landed on a mystery island. If they had any other character at all I could probably forgive them for that.

Sorry for the rant there, but I just really wish that if special characters like Blathers and Isabelle and Tom Nook and KK Slider are supposed to be so important (especially Isabelle & Tom Nook kinda both being the faces of the franchise now) we would be able to have conversations with them and actually learn things about them! Not having that kinda makes them feel like robots who only exist to run the shops and services and such and don't have lives (except for Isabelle and the Able Sisters to an extent), tbh. Blathers and Celeste also get off slightly better because Blathers blathers about the specimens you bring him and Celeste now blathers about constellations if you bring her zodiac fragments, but it's still not much. Also, Celeste should get her observatory back imo.

Last edited:
Villagers dialogue isn’t interesting. They always point out what I’m wearing or saying
“isn’t my outfit cool?”
“I really like my stereo”
“(player) from island visited yesterday”
“I saw you were cutting down trees yesterday!”

like being observant isn’t a conversation, they’re just stating the obvious

Back