• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm English, but I do have friends from America and have been to America before, so... From my own experience, I can definitely say that... Americans tend to be "extreme" with a lot of things. Like. Not saying that the people are, it's just... Everything is so much more extravagant and BIGGER than in England. Like, you guys have Disneyworld and Disneyland... In England we have... Well... Some boring, small theme parks, with very very boring rides and stuff. In America, you guys go CRAZY over Halloween. In England, we'll maybe carve a pumpkin and hand out sweets, but that's it. :p Basically... England is a boring country!

I'm English, but I do have friends from America and have been to America before, so... From my own experience, I can definitely say that... Americans tend to be "extreme" with a lot of things. Like. Not saying that the people are, it's just... Everything is so much more extravagant and BIGGER than in England. Like, you guys have Disneyworld and Disneyland... In England we have... Well... Some boring, small theme parks, with very very boring rides and stuff. In America, you guys go CRAZY over Halloween. In England, we'll maybe carve a pumpkin and hand out sweets, but that's it. :p Basically... England is a boring country!
Boring? I'd call it relaxing.

I don't know because in America, Halloween is fading too. In fact, some people don't even trick or treat anymore all because of Call of Duty and other FPS. But it's still huge in the town I live in. But yes, America is crazy over parks and parties.

i think america is better ngl ?\_(ツ)_/? isnt the UK always cold and rainy? plus practically every US tv show adaption is waaaaay better than the UK version (shameless, skins, inbetweeners) but then again harry potter...

It seems crazy to me how drugs are advertised on TV and stuff in the US

Do you mean like illegal drugs or over the counter/prescription drugs. I thought drug culture was a lot more prevalent in the UK. By that I mean more people do more hardcore drugs (coke, opium, ketamine, etc) I know the US does it's fair share of drugs as well but for some reason all of the reports/articles I've read about high amounts of drug use have been more centered on the UK. All of the people I personally know that live here that are from the UK also drink a lot and do a lot of drugs. I'm not saying anything about their character but I thought it was just a cultural thing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i think america is better ngl ?\_(ツ)_/? isnt the UK always cold and rainy? plus practically every US tv show adaption is waaaaay better than the UK version (shameless, skins, inbetweeners) but then again harry potter...

Skins UK is so bad it's literally the best.

plus practically every US tv show adaption is waaaaay better than the UK version (shameless, skins, inbetweeners)

Oh HELL no...

There's a reason 95% of them don't get past the pilot episode.

Of that 5% which actually get aired, almost all of them get cancelled within series 1 because they were terrible (the Inbetweeners US being one of those).

I don't think that the 3 actually successful US versions of UK shows (Shameless US, Office US...Possibly something else?) erases the mounds of crap that isn't even good enough to make it to air.

Excluding all the gameshow and reality show ones for obvious reasons. They're literally the same with a different host (assuming they even changed the host).

Last edited:
I don't know because in America, Halloween is fading too. In fact, some people don't even trick or treat anymore all because of Call of Duty and other FPS. But it's still huge in the town I live in. But yes, America is crazy over parks and parties.

Wait... What.
People stopped trick or treating because of FPS?

From what I've recently seen, trick or treating is more for the children now and it all ends before it gets dark outside.

Wait... What.
People stopped trick or treating because of FPS?

From what I've recently seen, trick or treating is more for the children now and it all ends before it gets dark outside.

You realize that if I cross out something, it means that it's false or what I don't believe.

I wish America would stop being obsessed over football.

Also, **** *******s that shoot off fireworks at 2 ****ing am on the 5th of July.

The UK isn't obsessed over their football?
I ****ing love fireworks though. Shoot those any time of the year. I'm fine with that.

I meant the American football that barely even has foot-on-ball action.

The rest of the world seems pretty obsessed with the other football, that actually has tons of foot-on-ball action, though. So its a case of pick your poison, I guess.

Last edited:
I ****ing love fireworks though. Shoot those any time of the year. I'm fine with that.

I kinda agree, 4th of July is like my favorite Holiday. The fireworks just make it even more awesome! I think it's so much fun spending the night partying and being obnoxious about our country. I live in Boston, so we go all out to show our patriotism. Ahaha!

Last edited:
I kinda agree, 4th of July is like my favorite Holiday. The fireworks just make it even more awesome! I think it's so much fun spending the night partying and being obnoxious about our country. I live in Boston, so we go all out to show our patriotism. Ahaha!

Except the 5th of July isn't the 4th.

I have no problem with fireworks at normal hours, but not when people are trying to sleep, and when the holiday is over on top of that. You're just an obnoxious ******* if you're shooting off fireworks then.

Except the 5th of July isn't the 4th.

I have no problem with fireworks at normal hours, but not when people are trying to sleep, and when the holiday is over on top of that. You're just an obnoxious ******* if you're shooting off fireworks then.

Ahaha, you obviously don't live in a big city then. All holidays like that go on until the next day. Hell, every time a home town team wins I'll hear people celebrating in the street untill dawn. That is considered normal. We don't notice the fact that it's a different day because we're too busy having fun. The 4th of July literally happens once a year, and if it effects you that much then, wow.
Fireworks are frickin awesome, and If I'm only allowed to use them once a year then I'm sure as hell gonna make the most of it.

Last edited:
Ahaha, you obviously don't live in a big city then. All holidays like that go on until the next day. Hell, every time a home town team wins I'll hear people celebrating in the street untill dawn. That is considered normal. We don't notice the fact that it's a different day because we're too busy having fun. The 4th of July literally happens once a year, and if it effects you that much then, wow.
Fireworks are frickin awesome, and If I'm only allowed to use them once a year then I'm sure as hell gonna make the most of it.

I used too sort of, and it still pissed me off constantly. Fun is fine, but being self-centered about it is not.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, the 4th of July is just a dumb excuse for people to get wasted and make idiots out of themselves imo. I doubt many people seriously celebrate it for any of its actual reasons, unless they're the hardcore AMERICA **** YEAH crowd.

Like the holiday could be about the creation of pickles and it wouldn't make any difference.

I used too sort of, and it still pissed me off constantly. Fun is fine, but being self-centered about it is not.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, the 4th of July is just a dumb excuse for people to get wasted and make idiots out of themselves imo. I doubt many people seriously celebrate it for any of its actual reasons, unless they're the hardcore AMERICA **** YEAH crowd.

Like the holiday could be about the creation of pickles and it wouldn't make any difference.

If you grow up that way it doesn't really bother you as much, I grew up there so I guess I'm just used to it. I don't think anyones trying to be self centered, the holiday all gives us a reason to stop being so serious and just enjoy the festivities. It's one of the only times I get to see my whole family besides Christmas and Thanksgiving. So I guess it means a lot to me. I don't think it dumb or an excuse, both my uncle and my grandfather are veterans and they're proud that people are celebrating a country that they helped fight for.
Sure, some people go over board but it's just one day, why not go all out.
I love my country. Yeah it's crazy, the government is horrible and nothing really makes any sense... But it's mine. And if we want change we should probably stop hating on it and start trying to help fix whatevers wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back