Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Enchanted Forest Scenery
Lily of the Valley
Caustic Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Enchanted Forest Scenery
It turns out some people can smell ants or a colony of ants. Never heard of it nor tried it myself.

Can you smell them?
If you can, what do they smell like to you?

And I wonder if different types of ants smell different or if all ants pretty much smell the same to people.

Have other thoughts on ants? 🐜💭

If you kill an ant it leaves a scent so that other ants will know there's a threat.

I'm sensitive to it. If one crawls on me or my screen or textbook or whatever - I try and move it gently without crushing it.

Last edited:
I cant smell them from very far away ( I'm no bloodhound) but ants (especially crushed ants) have a smell that's sour, bitter and musty. The smell is similar to off-gassing plastic mixed with vinegar and a metallic tinge.

My nose is plugged half the time so they don't smell like anything to me. Maybe if I got really close to an ant hill and smooshed them all then I'd be able to get a whiff

I can only smell one right after it was crushed, I think. I'm not sure if that counts.
It smells like chemicals to me. I don't like it.

Can't say I ever smelled ants before, I don't think I can distinguish that smell but it's definitely interesting!

I am greatly amused by the variety of answers to this thread. Oh the things you learn browsing the internet. 👃 🐜
I don't know if I can smell them or not tbh. Not gonna look at ants the same though 🐜 👀

Yes, and it's not good!
I smell everything. Maybe it's just overall hypersensitivity, but smells are always really strong to me. Drives me nuts when I'm the only one smelling something (like smoke coming in a window) and nobody else smells it until it gets stronger.

I squished an ant once, smelled it, and realized 'oh thats what that smell is".

The grossest thing is, i once tried some "special" cheese with black truffle in it, and it tasted like that ant smelled. Ew. Now I don't like truffle anything because it tastes "anty". 😅

I squished an ant once, smelled it, and realized 'oh thats what that smell is".

The grossest thing is, i once tried some "special" cheese with black truffle in it, and it tasted like that ant smelled. Ew. Now I don't like truffle anything because it tastes "anty". 😅
No way 🤣🤣 I think I need to try smelling some ants 😂

Back