Tomodachi Life General Discussion

I flat out said no, until I got the special Club Nintendo presale demo thing. Their trailers and stuff make it seem like there's no way anyone over the age of 15 would be interested but it actually feels like anyone can play it. It's really goofy and not as lame and childish as I was expecting. But I'm still like 80-20 cause I'm still like how long does this game even last, and how easy is it? The demo seemed like its easy but can last forever like a Sims game. Which is fine by me. But still some doubt in my mind cause it's a new IP haha I always have some doubt

I want this game, but I'm kind of frustrated that they didn't include same-sex marriage. I understand it's a "kid's" game and that some people don't want their kids knowing about that (for whatever reason) and that's why they didn't include it, because they would lose business. I seriously doubt the entire reason was because it was too late to add it, honestly. They even patched a glitch in the Japanese version allowing same-sex marriage (though I do understand it's a whole different culture there). I'll probably still get the game, but I am disappointed in Nintendo.

I want this game, but I'm kind of frustrated that they didn't include same-sex marriage. I understand it's a "kid's" game and that some people don't want their kids knowing about that (for whatever reason) and that's why they didn't include it, because they would lose business. I seriously doubt the entire reason was because it was too late to add it, honestly. They even patched a glitch in the Japanese version allowing same-sex marriage (though I do understand it's a whole different culture there). I'll probably still get the game, but I am disappointed in Nintendo.

the glitch ended up breaking the games for people, so thats why they fixed it
i feel you though. hopefully they add it in the next game (if there is a next game)
ill probably just make my gay sims marry or w/e by just putting them in the diff gender cuz their face can still look the same. idk if clothes are locked for gender tho

by just putting them in the diff gender cuz their face can still look the same. idk if clothes are locked for gender tho

I get what you're saying, and that's a pretty good idea! I think there is a lot of customization options to masculinize a female mii, and vice versa...to whatever degree. So you could, for example, have a masculine "female" mii marry a male mii--and you'd be able to consider it a male/male marriage. I mean if you made it somehow clear that the masculine "female" mii is actually a man (through name, clothes, etc).

I agree it would be nice if you didn't have to do that in this day and age, but games have all kinds of limits, and in most cases it can be viewed as another creative challenge to play around with.

Last edited:
Am I the only one glad that the glitch got fixed?

I totally think that the game should include same sex relationships and marriage BUT I would like to be able to choose whether each of my individual miis are homosexual or not. From what I gather, they fall in love of their own free will in this version of the game. I hope this doesn't sound homophobic because I am not at all, but I would find it really weird if my miis which I've based on myself and my friends and family just got into same sex relationships at random when most of them are straight.

Maybe they just couldn't or didn't think to put in such a feature where you give your miis a sexuality and made them all straight by default to cater to most of the population.

Am I the only one glad that the glitch got fixed?

I totally think that the game should include same sex relationships and marriage BUT I would like to be able to choose whether each of my individual miis are homosexual or not. From what I gather, they fall in love of their own free will in this version of the game. I hope this doesn't sound homophobic because I am not at all, but I would find it really weird if my miis which I've based on myself and my friends and family just got into same sex relationships at random when most of them are straight.

Maybe they just couldn't or didn't think to put in such a feature where you give your miis a sexuality and made them all straight by default to cater to most of the population.

The marriages seem are totally asexual anyway...I mean, they have little miracle babies obviously lol. I can see that giving them any sexuality would have changed the "family game" aspect of it. So really, they don't even have specific genders if you think of it that way, much less sexual preferences.

I get what you're saying, and that's a pretty good idea! I think there is a lot of customization options to masculinize a female mii, and vice versa...to whatever degree. So you could, for example, have a masculine "female" mii marry a male mii--and you'd be able to consider it a male/male marriage. I mean if you made it somehow clear that the masculine "female" mii is actually a man (through name, clothes, etc).

I agree it would be nice if you didn't have to do that in this day and age, but games have all kinds of limits, and in most cases it can be viewed as another creative challenge to play around with.

ill probably just make my mii a dude because i dont care about being a girl or a dude so. and id rather have my mii date girls anyway. i honestly think this game probably couldve gone without gender (so any mii can marry anyone regardless of gender) because i dont really see the difference between a male mii and a female mii because they seem to be able to do the same things? and like you said babies just randomly pop out of no where so yeah

You guys already know how I feel about this, so I'm not going to say anything. Especially since tsundere is here.

I flat out said no, until I got the special Club Nintendo presale demo thing. Their trailers and stuff make it seem like there's no way anyone over the age of 15 would be interested but it actually feels like anyone can play it. It's really goofy and not as lame and childish as I was expecting. But I'm still like 80-20 cause I'm still like how long does this game even last, and how easy is it? The demo seemed like its easy but can last forever like a Sims game. Which is fine by me. But still some doubt in my mind cause it's a new IP haha I always have some doubt

I personally look at it this way. Tomodachi Life costs about the same as going to see movies at the theater a few times. I'll probably get more than 3-4 hours of fun out of it. Therefore, it's worth it.

As someone who lives in Japan (I buy US versions of games that are released in English because my Japanese reading ability is still meh), that's not the problem at all. They fixed it because it was a game breaking bug. They didn't fix it because of homosexuality reasons. Yes, gay marriage is not legal in Japan yet, but at the same time, no one cares if you're gay. I mean, they sell yaoi (M/M) manga at pretty much every single book store. It's super easy to find books, manga, video games, anime, etc exploring other sexualities. And it's not even sold at "adult" stores. It's everywhere.

Why did Nintendo not make it an option? Probably the same reason many games don't include it if there's a dating element. We live in a very heteronormative world. That's seen as "the default". They probably didn't even think about it, or think that people would be interested.

Tomodachi Life was also not marketed as a kids' game in Japan. It was marketed for all ages. Just like Animal Crossing New Leaf was.

Last edited:
Nah we wouldn't get mad about that, I honestly think it's a great idea! I stickied it for everyone because it's like a directory, except with miis :)

ty kaiaa <3 even though i probably wont even get the game woops

I personally look at it this way. Tomodachi Life costs about the same as going to see movies at the theater a few times. I'll probably get more than 3-4 hours of fun out of it. Therefore, it's worth it.

Hehe, I'm gonna use this as an excuse to get ALL the games from now on! Thanks! ;D I always use restaurants as an excuse. You can easily drop $30-$40 on one meal for 2 people...and that's food that comes and goes, whereas you can have the game for years.

I'm SO SO EXCITED

literally I've been running around, waiting for time to pass by.

But i've wanted this game ever since some japanese youtubers posted videos of it way earlier in the year.

3 more days until it comes out!!!

Hehe, I'm gonna use this as an excuse to get ALL the games from now on! Thanks! ;D I always use restaurants as an excuse. You can easily drop $30-$40 on one meal for 2 people...and that's food that comes and goes, whereas you can have the game for years.

Hey, I'm a gamer. I use this excuse ALL the time. :D But yeah, I don't really go out to eat much for that reason. It costs so much. I like cooking and I can make food cheaper at home. I'd rather save that $30-$40 for a video game.

I probably won't get the game until maybe Friday next week or early the week after because of the fact that I ordered it online and I don't live in the US. I have to keep forcing myself to not watch anymore Let's Play videos. I don't want to see all of the scenes before I get the game. It'll make it less funny when I see it.

The game has no free movement whatsoever and consists of mainly entering details and menu pressing.
I'm getting it anyway

Back