• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Various users having the same "Popular" Villagers, Doesn't it get boring at all?

I'm not a big fan of the super popular villagers or the idea of dreamies, but I tried to join in on it to see what all the hype was about. I got Marina for 9M, even though I think all the octopuses look weird, I bought a second copy of the game to see what made it so dang fun to be able to cheat as much as possible and get every villager you like, and it honestly just feels weird, and boring. Not just that but after ignoring all of the villagers I get, I got Merengue, Julian and Marshal in my campsite. In a row. When I had the space. I took Merengue to my main since I've like her since I saw her, since she reminds me of myself, but Julian and Marshal I've been like eh :/ I don't see what's so flashy and great about them
I decided to keep Julian on the copy to see what made him so great, and now he's grown soft on me, like every other villager I talk to. He feels like a big brother.
This whole cycling and tting and selling villagers thing feels so weird and bad for some reason. I see these guys as friends, not pets to buy and trade. This isn't littlest pet shop for pete's sake.
I wish I could stop and only use the copy for making bells or give it to my little brother, but now I'm all tied up trying to get my best friend Becky back, which I lost by going to sept 30 instead of tting back to aug 30 :c
I'm really conflicted, and I don't know what to do
I don't know how I'm even supposed to enjoy this game at this point anymore :C

I have some underrated and unpopulars in my town, so it's different for me. My sister doesn't have desired villagers beside Sally and Truffles (Thanks to City Folk, we're highly attached to them.)

Phoebe is the most underrated villager in my town. She's such a sweetheart and people dismiss her because she's uchi or because she's "not pretty" but I feel like if you only judge people and things off of looks that you're not really paying attention.

I don't want Stitches. I don't want Rosie (anymore.) I don't want Marshal at all (Eugene for Smug President.) The rest.. ew? I guess...

Some are okay, but towns that have the same dreamies.. ew. Wouldn't visit 10 towns with the same villagers. Even if it was popular.

There are some of the popular villagers that I find cute, but the only one I'd really be interested in is Ankha, I love the idea of having a snooty Egyptian princess cat <3 it's just so fitting. Marshall was in my town, but I let him go to my bf since his little brother likes squirrels, I haven't told them that they're sitting on a potential 120 million gold mine if he ever moves out, and possibly even more since he has sloppy furniture in his house.

For my my favourite villager is Benjamin c: he was one of the starter villagers in my town and has been my bestie ever since. He is the only villager that I'd probably stop from moving out right now. Peanut was the first ever villager I met when I got wild world (my first animal crossing game) so I'd love to have her in my town c: I also had Ribbot and Static in wild world, those were two of my favourites, I begged Ribbot not to move out, but he still did :< Static left while I was too busy with school to play and got replaced by that awful duck pompom.

Butch was another one of my starters in wild world, so he'd be nice to have too (I really love the dog characters, I have goldie in my town right now but I don't really like her a lot, hoping she will move). Kid Cat is in my town right now and I desperately want him to leave, he planted his house down right next to my bench, and it spoils the view :< I have Rosie too, but that was purely by coincidence, she plopped her house down in my flower patch too and ruined a weeks hard work. These popular characters are more trouble than they're worth ;)

People keep saying this, and I do get what you mean, but to me it doesn't make much of a difference. I rarely visit other peoples towns other than to trade. Why do I care if they have the same villagers as I do? I like some of the popular villagers, and I dislike others, but whether they're popular or not doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Going for a villager just because they're popular is kind of silly if that's the only thing you like about the villager, but going for an obscure villager just because they're unpopular is the same thing. But if that's how people want to choose their villagers - based on other's opinions of them - then who cares? I don't understand why anybody gives a hoot one way or the other who other people want to live in their town.

I agree with this completely.

Last edited:
Yeah! HAHAHHhaha I think it's ridiculous that people would buy villagers for 70 mil. I think I saw someone buy uh.. someone for 84? It was intense.
Hhahaha yeah, seeing them is boring! Not gonna lie..ahha.
What the hell do you do with 84 millions bells and how do you store them ?

Relatively to the thread subject, I'm quite happy that none of my villagers are on the list. Actually the villagers that I would also like in my town at one point or another, are villagers I really had a good time with in the Gamecube version or the DS one.

This is why I try to find some underrated gems like Tucker or Benjamin. Anyway, here's what I think of some of the popular villagers:

I liked Marshal at first but then I found out he's too popular for his own good.
Julian is a gay flamboyant unicorn, what more can you ask for?
I had Stitches in Wild World and I'll admit some people where a bit jealous of me.
All the wolves are of course popular, but some wolves like Wolfgang or Chief I find bland.
Zucker is a very unlucky octopus, but Lucky was the first one to be unlucky.

I only visit dream towns, so when I see the same 5-7 villagers, it is kinda boring. I like talking to the villagers in the dream towns, and I like seeing how many different villagers I can find. It's all about diversity for me. Now, if you look in my sig, you'll see that I have dream villagers, but that's only because they fit the theme of Redwall, one of my most favorite series of books. But I'm not going to rush around trying find them. If they move in, great! If not, oh well, try again next time.

I don't even ask for Stitches, but he just moved in XD

I guess that's how AC players find the game more interesting by collecting Popular characters :)

I have also a lot of popular villagers in my town like Merengue, Lolly, Marshal, Beau, Chief and Pheobe. That's not because they are popular because for me the cutest expect Marshal he moved in on accident ^^'

For example the Uchi villagers. They are all ugly for me expect Pheobe and Fuchsia - so why shouldn't I take one of this two?I love wolve villagers and Chief is for me the best so should I take another villager because he is popular? They are popular because they are so adorable and cute in the eyes of the most people - so everyone should take the villager he wants to.
I don't care what animals other users have in their town at all ^-^

It's also that many users wait until they get all their dreamies to work on there town because of paths, bushes and so on - and who want's to keep a town full of ugly villagers you don't like? <.<

Last edited:
I agree with the OP, it's a little boring but people can do what they want with their own towns.

I don't really find certain villagers 'ugly' as such, I usually end up wanting them out if they scare me. Astrid and Pietro, for example.

I like having dream villagers to wish for, but I'm not in a race to complete my dreamies list. I like seeing who randomly moves in, and there are several villagers that I'd like to befriend and get their photos from before I settle down with permanent residents.
And even when I do start trying to get all my dreamies, I'm not dropping stupid amounts of bells on them D:

And sure, some of my dreamies are popular, but I didn't pick them because of their popularity, just because I like them.
Stitches has been my favorite villager since Wild World, Julian's a unicorn and that's awesome, Chief was in my first town on the Gamecube as a kid and I had a tiny crush on him, so I want him for nostalgia's sake, and I've always liked the octopi, and Zucker is especially adorable~
And then I have others like Bree, who was one of my starting villagers and grew on me so much that she's never leaving :D
And I really want Bella, even though everyone seems to think she's ugly for some reason D:

Also on the subject of popular villagers, I don't get why everyone loves Tangy so much. I've always thought she looked so weird.

Last edited:
i really dont like seeing dream towns with same old ~boring~ julian, whitney etc. i plan on keeping my dreamies list as far away from that as possible (sig isnt updated in like a month and only 3 of the 9 villagers are still in my town lol). there are some ~populars~ i like, such as punchy and fang, but i wouldnt mind getting someone like chester or buck instead. even though the game revolves around having fun and stuff, people pay too much attention and their time for pixels in the game, which ultimately becomes more of a hassle than something fun.

just imo. dont bash me hard please :c

I only visit dream towns, so when I see the same 5-7 villagers, it is kinda boring. I like talking to the villagers in the dream towns, and I like seeing how many different villagers I can find. It's all about diversity for me. Now, if you look in my sig, you'll see that I have dream villagers, but that's only because they fit the theme of Redwall, one of my most favorite series of books. But I'm not going to rush around trying find them. If they move in, great! If not, oh well, try again next time.

That's a coincidence, my dreamies also fit my town theme. The theme is called "things Lin likes." :p

I just like having villagers I actually like in my town. Yes, some may be considered 'popular', but as long as I like them, then what does it really matter? Some villagers stand out more because they're unusual or cute, sure, but there's some not so 'attractive' villagers that have nice personalities and that will grow on you. None of my villagers are really that sought after, but I like the majority of them because I have either had them before on previous AC games and liked them, or they have grown on me in my NL town :)
If I got a popular one such as Julian or Mashal, I'd keep them if they had a personality I liked, as that's how I like to play the game. I also personally wouldn't pay for my dreamies, I like waiting to see if they come to my town and a couple of people have been nice enough to give me a couple of my villagers for free as well :)

While it's true that a lot of people tend to want the same villagers (I'm no exception with my signature) I do have my personal reasons for wanting them. I've been playing animal crossing since game cube days, and I've grown to love my villagers in each and every game. However, I thought it'd be fun to aim for the dreamies I've wanted since I saw the AC movie. True that the movie DID make my dreamies popular beyond belief, but I still love them anyways <3

Back