• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What do you think they do with turnips?

Crowsie

Mnemosyne's Finest
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Eerie Star Potion
Will-o'-the-wisp Halloweaster Egg
October Birthstone (Opal)
Tasty Cake
Black Hybrid Rose
By 'they' I mean Timmy and Tommy after you sell to them.

I imagine they keep trading hands until they rot

Yes, yes. I know turnips are essentially just Fisher-Price's My First Stock Market™. But like, in-universe, what do you guys think they do with the turnips? Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of them change hands 6 days a week and they can't all get eaten up, can they? Despite being just vegetables, they've gotta hold incredible value. They're also much more fragile than the typical turnip, rotting away after only 7 days, when IRL turnips are hardy root veggies that can survive for weeks under the right conditions. Maybe Joan bred a proprietary cultivar of especially delicate turnips that blew up and became something of a currency. I mean, this series is Japanese and Japan has a history with high-priced, selectively cultivated luxury produce like Ruby Roman grapes and hakuto peaches (good God I miss perfect fruit).

Maybe she tried to strike gold twice with red turnips, but the focus groups just didn't catch on...
Unlike other currency standards (say like, gold, which is less valuable than turnips in AC) turnips are finite currency. They have a shelf life and a tight one at that. So why are they of all things traded like stocks? Do animals live for the risk of it all? Knowing that the fortune they seek to expand could shrivel up and die like a rotten turnip in a week? The buy and sell prices fluctuate daily, but turnips themselves never crash. They're always in demand, even if severely deprecated.

Sow Joan and Daisy Mae might come across as country bumpkins with simple lives, but the family must be super successful!

I refuse to believe that their only use in-universe is as a stock analog because that's no fun.
Also, 'they're turnips because of the pun' isn't accepted either. C'mon, humor me a little.

I imagine that they get treated like bells to buy red turnips that we can't buy, because we aren't Timmy and Tommy. Like, an underground currency (perhaps quite literally) 😁.

Let me share some important facts first to justify my claim.
  • Turnips have one week of shelf life.
  • Turnips have variable prices.
  • They didn't specify if turnips are vegetables in Animal Crossing world. Did they ever mention it being a vegetable? (In reality, I know that it's a vegetable.)
If I am going to come up with a good story about turnips, here's what I think so far. They have limited shelf life. That means, buyers need to consume them as fast as possible. And also, this somewhat explains their variable prices. Because the demand of turnips rapidly changes on a daily basis. Using my third point, maybe it has something to do with turnips being a valuable commodity to make something. (I will leave it up to your imagination for the last part.)

Who knows if this is a secret ingredient for bestowing human intellect to animal villagers? :ROFLMAO:

If you've ever done anything close to gardening, that requires a lot of patience and nurturing, you'll realize that the effort taken is that it's just easier to go to the super market and buy whatever it was you were trying to grow. Most vegetables are so cheap as it is and canning and freezing excess can save you some money maybe, but it's a lot of time and prepping involved.

So, The Sow family aren't kicking it back and sipping on the easy life. There's a reason why people would rather go to the super market and buy their produce.

The Nook's blend it into a juice and drink it. Turnip juice is the best.

tbh i imagine that anything we sell to them is probably resold off-island for more money, perhaps in a different currency. ik its just a game, but i cant imagine that Tom Nook would ever be that rich if he were just making money by us paying back our home loans and buying stuff from him. and the pessimist in me is saying there's no way Tom Nook would ever want to do an island getaway unless he was getting something out of it. i think he's a nice dude and isn't really scamming us (like he's just kinda taking advantage of the fact that there's only one store we could potentially buy stuff from and said store features his name, not necessarily scamming us), it's just sometimes u can do nice things that are also beneficial to yourself.

tbh i imagine that anything we sell to them is probably resold off-island for more money, perhaps in a different currency. ik its just a game, but i cant imagine that Tom Nook would ever be that rich if he were just making money by us paying back our home loans and buying stuff from him. and the pessimist in me is saying there's no way Tom Nook would ever want to do an island getaway unless he was getting something out of it. i think he's a nice dude and isn't really scamming us (like he's just kinda taking advantage of the fact that there's only one store we could potentially buy stuff from and said store features his name, not necessarily scamming us), it's just sometimes u can do nice things that are also beneficial to yourself.
The island getaway is just a front for his offshore accounts. I knew it.

I’d like to think they do sell them for a much higher price to some fatcats as if it were caviar. They make their money back, make a profit, and like Tom Nook, they donate some of that profit to orphanages.

Back