• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

when you have gum, do you

?

• swallow

• spit

• I don't eat gum

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t like gum at all, I find that stuff gross. Not to mention it was never intended to be swallowed, so what’s the point of putting something in your mouth when you’re not supposed to swallow it?

Oh wow, I'm surprised how many people swallow their gum! I don't chew gum anymore but when I did, I spit it out into a napkin or directly into a trashcan. I only liked chewing gum for a very short time (10-30seconds) before spitting it out though. I didn't like the feeling of the gum in my mouth.

Although, I would prefer swallowing gum to be the norm than people spitting it out. Cause some people don't have decent etiquette at all!!! The other day, I was loading the car trunk with groceries and, little did I know.. I stepped in someone's chewed gum!!!!!!!!! I can't believe people are still spitting their gum out on the ground!!!

i know its safe to swallow gum but it still cheeses me out so i dont lol

I don't swallow it. It sticks to your ribs (seemingly)

Old wives tales are old wives tales for a reason. Is the reason to pass along great wisdom and knowledge from one generation to the next, to save future generations from making the mistakes of the past?

No! It's to scare the bejeebus out of young, dumb children. And it works!

I think it's more nuanced than that, and is simply people saying stuff that makes sense to them and ends up spreading as a popular thought somehow. similar to how a false rumor can get out of hand and end up believed by a masses. especially one with a level of believability to it

and in this case, it does seem to make logical sense on a surface level, but once you interrogate it with an understanding of how digestion works as well as the lack of any regulations surrounding it, it then falls apart
Post automatically merged:

I don't swallow it. It sticks to your ribs (seemingly)

that's even more impossible, as it'd have to jump right out of or otherwise phase through your inner organs to manage that

which if it did, then you'd have far bigger problems than a stray chewed-up piece of gum stuck on a ribcage

Last edited:
What a choice, swallow or spit? 🙈 I couldn’t swallow gum. And I can safely say no more 😂

i spit out my gum! i’ve always believed it was bad to swallow. even if i now know it’s fine (TIL) i probably still wouldn’t swallow it, texture-wise it doesn’t make me feel like i can.

but if it is safe, i wish more people would swallow it instead of sticking/spitting it in places it shouldn’t be. the amount of gum that makes it onto my carpet and walls (and the TOP and underneath of tables and chairs) at work because kids dont know how to keep it in their mouth or throw it away properly is disgusting

I always spit it out in the trash. I don’t want to potentially choke or give myself any intestinal blockages. (Idk if the latter happen but better safe than sorry).

I haven't had gum in years, but when I did I'd always spit it out, since that was what I was told to do when growing up. I can't recall if I ever accidentally managed to swallow a piece of gum before, but I don't think I did.

i don't really eat gum anymore but i used to religiously chew gum in high school. i can never get myself to swallow one lol. it just feels so unnatural and against mother nature 💀

I've been chewing gum a lot more recently, not so much for the taste but because the action of chewing helps me concentrate. It's a nice stim if I'm doing something while my hands are otherwise occupied. (Like if I'm driving for example, it's super helpful if I'm feeling anxious or overwhelmed on the road.) I also chew while I'm invested in a competitive game like Splatoon!

I always spit it out and throw it away! I remember being told I would float away in a bubble like Glinda from Wizard of Oz if I swallowed too much gum as a kid... which obviously is untrue, but it worked on me for a bit. I only ever swallowed gum back then if it was an extremely small piece or had a doughy texture. Like a few Chiclets or a little piece of Hubba Bubba tape. It felt so rebellious at the time lol. I think part of me was curious and secretly wanted to become a bubblegum pink witch! Later I got the classic story about it staying in your stomach for seven years and that formed the habit of spitting it out no matter what.

Ugh, time to expose my secret. Yes, I swallow my gum. I know that I shouldn’t but sometimes the flavors get too overwhelming and my brain going into hungry mode.

I always spit gum. I already have digestive issues.

Reminds me of when I got on an airplane recently and realized there was no trash can in sight. I was chewing gum and it had lost all of it's flavor.

I wrapped it up and placed it in my pocket to prevent any stickiness. (clever me).

People call me gross for swallowing gum, but like idk sometimes I can't find a trash can to spit it out and I don't like just spitting it onto the ground so what else am I supposed to do. Also why do people think it's gross or weird to swallow gum.

Back