Who has actually read the Bible?

Have you read the Bible?/ You're opinion on its teachings.

• Total voters
I feel the need to clear something up here. Many people are saying that they find the Bible hypocritical and contradictory. I just wanted to remind you that it was written over thousands of years. In those times, cultures changed, people lived and died, empire rose and fell, and as such the rules weren't always consistent.

That being said, I have never read the entire Bible but I want to at some point. If you're not Christian and want to get your own opinion of the Bible, my suggestion to you is to read these books in this order: John, Acts, and Romans. They truly lay the foundation on which Christianity rests and most of the old testament teachings no longer apply to us today. They aren't that long and you should be able to read the three of them in a few days.

As far as the Old Testament goes, Job and Jonah are phenomenal.

The old testament is filled with racism and gay hating extremists.

Once you take the old testament and change it, it would technically be a new religion because you are changing the rules.

Last edited:

Once you take the old testament and change it, it would technically be a new religion because you are changing the rules.

which is why there's the new testament?!?

and if you're referring to the gay sex part that's only cuz of hygiene. if ur taking about diff passages id be happy to take a look tho. i personally don't support the Old Testament but everyone always says stuff like this and im curious about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i read one chapter in the bible but i can't tell you what the name of it was.
all i remember was the guy lost absolutely everything and it was all about him not ever saying god's name in vein or blaming him for losing his family, his home, his health, everything.

i'm not religious but i was forced into church as a kid so i've been to church a bit in my lifetime i guess.

that's job LOL

Last edited:
I actually read the Bible when I was 12 as part of my confirmation, which is a standard thing to do before finishing elementary/middle School (I believe that's what it's called in the US). Even though my dad is somewhat religious, my parents never forced me into any kind of religious behaviour. Most people, especially from my generation, are either atheist or agnostic in my country, so the only reason why society here motivates younger people to take part in religious acts like communion and confirmation is so that they have a choice when they're older and are still able to be religious if they want to.

I read some parts of it again when I was older and my opinion on it never really changed. Some parts of it are simply against human rights and I'm not going to contribute to that. I do think though that, some stories try to bring up some great norms and values but that it often gets ignored because Ewww, religion. Luckily, people put some of these lessons out of religious context so that more people will read them.

I'm agnostic so I would never agree with a religion in the first place, but the fact that the bible is against quite some human rights from this century makes that I voted that I disagree with the Bible. I'm fine though with people that are religious. I think most religious people nowadays only agree with some of the statements that are made in religious books though you'll always have exceptions.

Interesting topic by the way. We need more of these quality discussion topics here.

Last edited:
I actually read the Bible when I was 12 as part of my confirmation, which is a standard thing to do before finishing elementary/middle School (I believe that's what it's called in the US). Even though my dad is somewhat religious, my parents never forced me into any kind of religious behaviour. Most people, especially from my generation, are either atheist or agnostic in my country, so the only reason why society here motivates younger people to take part in religious acts like communion and confirmation is so that they have a choice when they're older and are still able to be religious if they want to.

I read some parts of it again when I was older and my opinion on it never really changed. Some parts of it are simply against human rights and I'm not going to contribute to that. I do think though that, some stories try to bring up some great norms and values but that it often gets ignored because Ewww, religion. Luckily, people put some of these lessons out of religious context so that more people will read them.

I'm agnostic so I would never agree with a religion in the first place, but the fact that the bible is against quite some human rights from this century makes that I voted that I disagree with the Bible. I'm fine though with people that are religious. I think most religious people nowadays only agree with some of the statements that are made in religious books though you'll always have exceptions.

mind telling me some new testament passages that go against human rights? just interested.

You need to understand that it is also apparently against christianity to eat shrimp or something like according to the Bible.
And if you see something in the Bible that is like "man and man," that could mean "male and male," "Male and Female" or "Female and Female" because I learned that "Man" came from translation of languages that have 0 similarities and is the short for "Human."
(That's how I learned it at least)

Some people take the Bible way to seriously, as it's not meant to be taken. Reading the Bible won't make you any less of an "atheist" and I don't understand why people are using that as an excuse to not read it. If you don't like to read then just say that.
The Bible contains stories that can correlate to most religions anyway, and even if you aren't religious the Bible's stories are still generic and are there to show you stories of good humans, not necessarily good Christians.

This isn't directed towards you in specific Infinity, but people should stop dismissing it so quickly.

Honestly I don't like reading the Bible because the words are too small and hurt my eyes

Last edited:
which is why there's the new testament?!?

and if you're referring to the gay sex part that's only cuz of hygiene. if ur taking about diff passages id be happy to take a look tho. i personally don't support the Old Testament but everyone always says stuff like this and im curious about it.

So check this out.
Here are some different examples:

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants. Many translations of the Bible use the word “servant”, “bondservant”, or “manservant” instead of “slave” to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is. While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn’t mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

The following passage shows that slaves are clearly property to be bought and sold like livestock.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to Priests

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Cursing Parents

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

Death for Adultery

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication

A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Death to Followers of Other Religions

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Kill False Prophets

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, “You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord.” When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night

But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Kill Followers of Other Religions.

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Death for Blasphemy

One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men. During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD’s name. So the man was brought to Moses for judgment. His mother’s name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put the man in custody until the LORD’s will in the matter should become clear. Then the LORD said to Moses, “Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD’s name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD’s name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

Kill False Prophets

1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, ‘Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,’ do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.’ You may wonder, ‘How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?’ If the prophet predicts something in the LORD’s name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

Infidels and Gays Should Die

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God’s death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

Kill Anyone who Approaches the Tabernacle

For the LORD had said to Moses, ‘Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.’ (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

Kill People for Working on the Sabbath

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: ‘Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.’ (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

No way, too many words

Similarly to this comment lmao.
Why not just link to the pages you copied and pasted from rather than make a wall of text no one is gonna read?

They have to read through it one way or another. Since you linked it for me there is no point for me to. lol

Last edited:
I've only read bits and pieces of it, but I'd like to read more of it sometime because although I'm not very religious myself I'm interested in learning about different religions, and also because I know in literature there are tons of allusions to the Bible and I'd like a better understanding of them.

i read one chapter in the bible but i can't tell you what the name of it was.
all i remember was the guy lost absolutely everything and it was all about him not ever saying god's name in vein or blaming him for losing his family, his home, his health, everything.

i'm not religious but i was forced into church as a kid so i've been to church a bit in my lifetime i guess.

The book you're thinking of is the book of Job. One of my personal favorites, even if you aren't Christian it's still a good read.

- - - Post Merge - - -

-quoted for post link, snipped-

I don't know where to begin. You quoted Old Testament law and act as if we base our faith upon it.

Last edited:
So check this out.

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants. Many translations of the Bible use the word “servant”, “bondservant”, or “manservant” instead of “slave” to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is. While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn’t mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

The following passage shows that slaves are clearly property to be bought and sold like livestock.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to Priests

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches

Kill Homosexuals
“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

Death for Adultery

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication

A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Kill False Prophets

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, “You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord.” When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Death for Blasphemy

One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men. During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD’s name. So the man was brought to Moses for judgment. His mother’s name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put the man in custody until the LORD’s will in the matter should become clear. Then the LORD said to Moses, “Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD’s name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD’s name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

Kill False Prophets

1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, ‘Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,’ do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.’ You may wonder, ‘How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?’ If the prophet predicts something in the LORD’s name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God’s death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

For the LORD had said to Moses, ‘Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.’ (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: ‘Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.’ (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

All of the New Testament verses you copy and pasted afe taken out of context or the title does not match up with what they are actually saying. And of course, if you knew anything, you would know that Old Testament and Levitical Law was made null when Jesus died as the ultimate sacrifice. It's beautiful how you can read a website that doesn't know what it is talking about and put hate towards a religion but you cannot read primary text for yourself and use discernment in what it is really saying.

All of the New Testament verses you copy and pasted afe taken out of context or the title does not match up with what they are actually saying. And of course, if you knew anything, you would know that Old Testament and Levitical Law was made null when Jesus died as the ultimate sacrifice. It's beautiful how you can read a website that doesn't know what it is talking about and put hate towards a religion but you cannot read primary text for yourself and use discernment in what it is really saying.

Sorry but I would never want to follow a religion that was based on these morals. Even if it was changed in the New testament.

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other?s bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God?s death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

so, in the future, please use the only actual good bible and not that crappy "NLT" thing (NAB is ok, but this one's better): http://www.usccb.org/bible

second, i deleted every single passage that was old testament ...and was left with one. yea, one passage out of ur huge wall of text. theres a reason its called the "old" testament fyi. and before anyone says "if they dont agree with the old testament, then why is it there?" it's history. deleting history is stupid. the old testament existed and it always did so deleting it would be fake af.

and now for ur passage from romans...which happens to be from NLT. LOL
Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts* for the mutual degradation of their bodies.v
They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.w
Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural,
and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity.x
And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God handed them over to their undiscerning mind to do what is improper.
y They are filled with every form of wickedness, evil, greed, and malice; full of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery, and spite. They are gossips
and scandalmongers and they hate God. They are insolent, haughty, boastful, ingenious in their wickedness, and rebellious toward their parents.
They are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
Although they know the just decree of God that all who practice such things deserve death, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.z

ok so. this whole passage, is basically about gay sex.

for the purpose of this when i say male/female i mean it as in sex and not gender identity.

so first off, male gay sex was not only unhygienic but on top of that, men cant get pregnant. it looked like it served no purpose to people of that time other than looking for pleasure (pleasure as in hedonism and self-indulgence which the catholic faith strongly opposes). the so called "punishment" they received was probably just an STD or bleeding or whatever it is ppl get. now if they got pregnant, im sure people wouldnt have cared at all--they would have not just thought it was solely for pleasure.

the church still opposes using sex for pleasure even for straight couples, so like the pleasure rule thing applies to everyone. the only thing is, straight people are able to pass it off as "reproduction" a lot easier than gay people.

females are just in there because males are in there. theres no reason other than that. you can see that females in this passage are isolated from males, but subtly. they probably never noticed anything happening to females but then they were like...o if its bad for males then it has to be bad for girls too...and there u have it. its pretty dumb actually.

the punishment "from god" is actually just dying from illness, but they didnt know better. this can all be written off as people being unaware of science and the fact that STDs can hit anyone, even straight people. again, straight people were only exempt cuz they could just say they were trying to get pregnant.

basically its just saying dont do gay sex its the reason ur all dying + its just for pleasure it doesnt do anything else. not "OMG UR GAY U DESERVE TO DIE!!!" they just didnt understand the reason why ppl were getting ill and dying from it.

tl;dr - gay sex itself (AND NOT GAY PEOPLE) is bad because its only for pleasure. that doesnt sound like a human rights violation to me, just the church saying seeking pleasure using sex is bad.

P.S. reproduction is no longer """a requirement""" because of the catholic social teaching that states "humans have the right to choose their state in life" which includes not getting pregnant. so go be gay. its fine. nothing wrong with it.

AND THIS IS PROBABLY MY TENTH TIME SAYING IT BUT THE CHURCH OPPOSES ALL SEX FOR PLEASURE NOT JUST GAY SEX. U DONT HAVE TO AGREE. PERSONALLY I DONT CARE SINCE IM ASEXUAL. ITS JUST DEFINITELY NOT A HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATION.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i cant believe i went home on the last day of school and a friday night and typed that out instead of just ****posting through my phone while doing something else

Sorry, I don't read fictional books.

It's not fictional buddy. Too much proof.

- - - Post Merge - - -

So check this out.

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants. Many translations of the Bible use the word ?servant?, ?bondservant?, or ?manservant? instead of ?slave? to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is. While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn?t mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

Kill People Who Don?t Listen to Priests

Kill Witches

Kill Homosexuals
?If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.? (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers

Death for Hitting Dad

Death for Adultery

If a man commits adultery with another man?s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication

A priest?s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers

Kill False Prophets

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, ?You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord.? When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. ?The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.? (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

But if this charge is true (that she wasn?t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father?s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Death for Blasphemy

One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men. During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD?s name. So the man was brought to Moses for judgment. His mother?s name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put the man in custody until the LORD?s will in the matter should become clear. Then the LORD said to Moses, ?Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD?s name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD?s name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

Kill False Prophets

1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, ?Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,? do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.? You may wonder, ?How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?? If the prophet predicts something in the LORD?s name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other?s bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God?s death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

For the LORD had said to Moses, ?Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.? (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: ?Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.? (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Oh and next time you should try to use your information from the actual Bible.

Sorry but I would never want to follow a religion that was based on these morals. Even if it was changed in the New testament.

oh ok so .......slavery was legal and women's voting rights werent a thing but since that changed you cant agree with the current constitution because thats what it originally said right?

All you want to find is the bad stuff and I will tell you that most of the stuff you listed in not even what the Bible says.

So check this out.

~~~

tl;dr

I skimmed it though and it's kinda why I don't personally agree with the bible; it basically wants you to live as a religious slave (using that word loosely) or you'll be sent to hell or purgatory. but does it really matter if the bible says gay sex is a sin? you do realize that the bible was rewritten how many times so any homophobia any of the writers and people who carried it down generations has been mixed into it. look at other religions that Christianity also stemmed from, some don't consider gay sex a sin. the whole topic is really overthought imho; unless you're a monk or a priest you don't need to follow the bible word-for-word.

I really don't want to start an argument, but I do have a quick question for the Christians here since I don't get the chance to talk to Christians very often. What are your feelings on 1Corinthians 14:34 and 1Corinthians 1:3-6? In particular I'm interested in the female Christians' opinions but certainly I'd love to hear from anyone.

As one of you guys mentioned Christians tend not to follow any of the laws or rules in the Old Testament since they believe that Jesus's death removed that obligation (although he said he came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it? maybe someone could clear up that statement if it's not meant to apply to Old Testament law?). So anyways I'm curious why there are so few Christians (women in particular) who follow these New Testament laws. Just looking for friendly clarification on what most Christians believe. Thanks!

Funny enough, if you look at how historians measure accuracy of first-hand text, it is by number of copies available relative to when it happened. According to this, the Bible is one of the most historically accurate books from the time.

I read the bible a little, but then it seemed pointless to me. I'm not "religious" but I believe in God and the afterlife. I keep my beliefs to myself, though.
There's a lot of different things I believe in, but I won't share everything.

Back