• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Who is the best (and worst) Sanrio villager and why?

Who is the best Sanrio villager?

• Total voters
Etoile and Chai are my favorites. I wish the Hello Kitty themed villager was cuter. I tend not to like the gorillas and Rilla is no exception. I don't find her cute at all but Hello Kitty is my favorite Sanrio character.

Marty is definitely my favorite, but I also really like Etoile, Chelsea, and Chai. I'm not as much of a fan of Toby or Rilla, though.

Clicked into this thread with the intention to immediately vote for Étoile as I've always loved her color scheme, but have since become a traitor. 🤫

Going to go with Marty for this one. He's adorable, and I love both his hat and warm-colored furniture set. Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh which was one of my childhood favorites.

Never clicked with Chai despite loving tea. I'm personally not a fan of the furniture or pastel blue.

Marty and Etoile are the two i'm planning on for sure moving in, especially marty - his design is just so cute! I'm planning on probably cycling through everybody so we'll see if my opinions change once I actually get the cards

My favourite villager is probably Etoile, and I love the furniture she comes with. Don't really like Little Twin Stars, though. I was neutral towards Kiki and Lala for a long time, but then I noticed their toes...? Why are their toes like that?? Or I should say, "toe" because there's only one...?!? Luckily Etoile has hooves.

Least favourite... I guess this is an unpopular opinion judging by this thread, but Marty. He's not that cute to me and I don't like Pompompurin. Aren't all of the Sanrio characters, like... "people"? (Cue the infamous "Hello Kitty is a little girl not a cat" article or whatever.)
Like they're anthropomorphized, they can walk on two legs, they can talk, they seem to have human-level intelligence, they participate in society. Yet Pompompurin always has his butthole out. There's a butthole rug in the catalogue. It's not cute!

Hello Kitty has always been my favourite Sanrio character/property, and Rilla is okay. The furniture is a bit tacky, though. Good clothing.

Étoile is the only one that will be living on my island, she embodies much of what I love in the real world such as stars, clouds (the sheep remind me of little cloud babies), constellations, magic and all that jazz. she's a fabulous villager and I adore her colour combinations, namely that purple (not many villagers have a nice purple).

I honestly thought the sanrio villagers, apart from Marty due to his softer chic colours, looked a little bit tacky and icky in New Leaf due to the graphics and textures but now they all look much better (the same goes for much of the regular villagers)! Étoile and Marty are great looking, Chai and Chelsea are cute but not massively appealing; Toby and Rilla don't look bad by any means but I don't find them very endearing.

I cannot wait for the inevitable return of the Nintendo Crossover villagers and I do hope they somehow become more accessible? My hopes are dim because I doubt they would let you obtain them in any other format...guess I'll just have to buy the sold out Zelda and Splatoon amiibos...oh wait they're usually sold out :lemon:

in short, Étoile is my baby space sheep pillow cloud lol :blush:

On the 3rd day of invites, Toby went to customer services about moving in.

I was full up on villagers, so I knew what he was going to say, but it’s what he said that won me over.

After being told “no” by customer services, he came back and told me that “the sitch was no bueno.”

It’s been quite awhile since something said by a villager made me smile.

I've only had Etoile in my town and she's cute. Chai just looks weird with the cup on her head and Chelsea looks weird with the bunny ears. I'm not a fan of the gorilla villagers generally pseaking. Toby and Marty are cute. Toby will probably be the next sanrio villager I move in. I have no familiarity with the sanrio they are associated with beyond a passing knowledge of hello kitty but i like Toby and etoile's furniture sets best.

Last edited:
I knew I instantly needed Étoile so I will say her (and Marty close second)

Worst.... I am gonna go with Rilla. I think she could be so cute but those stark blue eyes kind of give me the creeps.

So far I’ve had Marty live on my island and he’s adorable. I’m moving in Etoile tomorrow. I think she’s adorable and typically I like at least 2 villagers at a time to have the music hobby and right now I only have one.

I have a question about Toby. Can you give him a hat so he takes that doll off of his head? Or is the doll a permanent part of him? Thanks so much.

Chai is definitely my favorite. I prefer Tia but Chai's design is still amazing.

My least favorite is Toby, mostly because of his hair.

Back