• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Will you abandon New Leaf when New Horizons releases?

I’ve had New Leaf since a month after it launched and have well over 800 hours in it. Have all dream villagers, gold tools, fully upgraded/decorated houses, complete museum etc. I easily haven’t touched it much at all since probably 2016 or so. I’m definitely ready to start completely new on Switch.

I go through fazes of not playing for many months at a time as it is right now. I cannot wait for NH to come out. I think my problem is that I go nuts trying to do everything and once I get things where I want them I get bored and play less. I picked up my NL game for the first time in 8 months the other day and after doing a few things I haven't touched it since. I am so ready for a new AC game!

i mean. no. i'm not gonna abandon the game totally, as it's something that i've played for years and that i love, but new horizons is probably going to replace it. that's just how it is haha. if i ever get bored of new horizons, i'll go back to new leaf of course, especially because i've worked hard on my town and i can't just forget about it, but new horizons is probably going to be the game i play most when it comes out. we have been waiting for this forever,

I doubt I'll even be into NL close to when NH comes out phaha,, I just got back into NL last week, but it's always been an on and off experience for me. Last time I was actively playing it was about two years ago (the summer of 2017) and I fell out of it in the winter I believe so ;;
I'm expecting to fall out of NL again once FE: Three Houses comes out if I'm being completely honest which is set to release in less than a month now ;v; I guess we'll see how things play out.

Last edited:
I doubt it. NL was the first AC game that I got really into so I think I'll always find myself going back to it.

Well, maybe for a while. I still play Animal Crosing Gamecube and Wild World if I?m feeling nostalgic. Just barely.

I was just about to ask that.

For myself, I'm not sure. I was thinking about building up a new town. Maybe that would mean that I would still be playing NL when NH comes out, however, I can't imagine that I can be occupied with NH and life, and still be able to squeeze NL into all of that. I'm guessing that I'll most likely end up abandoning ship b/c there won't be too much time for me to play it anyway.

Not saying I won't go back occasionally if that's the case, but I'm sure I won't play consistently.

Last edited:
i abandoned new leaf long ago. i didn't like, mean to per se, but i took kind of a break, and the longer i stayed away, the more guilty i felt for being away for so long. i can't imagine i've been back in my town for over a year, haha...

though, i had been getting kind of endgame with my new leaf town. well, as endgame as you can get in animal crossing. i was one fish away from completing my encyclopedia, very close to finishing the museum, and closing in on my badges, and i would have felt complete. but when i dropped off, i never got the chance to seal the deal. maybe i should do that someday.

either way, i think new horizons will start really holding my attention when it releases.

Already abandoned it, as I don't even own a 3DS or the game anymore. As much as I like
NL, at some point, it just got more and more stale. I didn't know what to do with my town
anymore, as my creativity was gone and at some point, I just resetted my town over and
over again. I never sticked with a town for longer than 3 days and it wasn't fun anymore.
Even if I still would have own the game, no later than by the release of NH, I would have
abandon it for sure.

Probably won't be long after New Horizons release that the 3ds online network shuts down , after all they're charging for online on switch now, probably won't be long til they cut the overheads. I'll stop playing new leaf with release of new horizon

Probably won't be long after New Horizons release that the 3ds online network shuts down , after all they're charging for online on switch now, probably won't be long til they cut the overheads. I'll stop playing new leaf with release of new horizon

this is true, but even after 3ds online gets shut down, you can still enjoy new leaf. yes, you won't be able to come onto forums like this and trade items or buy and sell, but that doesn't prohibit anyone from working on their town as an offline game.

originally when i first saw this thread i was thinking there was no way i'd do that... but depending on if/how much i like new horizons that's probably what will end up happening :'( i think i'll still come on every now and then for general town maintenance, but i don't have a lot left to Actively do in the game so my time spent on new leaf will most likely drop even lower once new horizons is out

Yeah. I already have. I've done most of what I wanted to do. I only pick it up every few months or so for like, an hour.

The villagers say the exact same things they said in 2013. They are boring. I've caught all the fish. I've caught all the bugs. I've expanded my house. I'm not into all the work that goes into paths or outside decorating in NL.

I just want New Horizons. I've been over NL for a while.

Yeah I'll ditch it

this is true, but even after 3ds online gets shut down, you can still enjoy new leaf. yes, you won't be able to come onto forums like this and trade items or buy and sell, but that doesn't prohibit anyone from working on their town as an offline game.

Don't forget the Dream Suite, which will become useless since you can't use it without the 3DS online.

Probably not. I've had new leaf since launch but always played for a while, then stopped, came back and reset so I'm hoping that'll this time I won't stop playing for a while and actually get some stuff done. There's also the fact that I don't have switch and unless I'm super savvy with money and I probably won't be getting before NH comes out. So, yeah, probably gonna stay with NL in till I get bored and then check out NH a few years later

Last edited:
Yes. I'm sorry but as someone who prefers not to time travel, I am of the blunt and honest opinion that grass deterioration ruins the game. I hardly ever touch my town to begin with. But in the days of Wild World you couldn't stop me from playing the game almost daily...sometimes for hours on end.

Now I only play in very short bursts and go for weeks or months on end without playing. IF grass deterioration is finally removed from New Horizons I will pretty much be treating it like I did Wild World. So yeah, short answer yes: I will gladly abandon a game that is ruined by a feature that never should even existed to begin with.

Since I got bored over New Leaf, I abandoned it a while ago, probably would have abandon it at some
point anyway. It's like every time the same situation, whenever a new Animal Crossing game comes
out, I abandoned the previous game for the sake of the newer one.

Back