• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Will you be getting it?

You don't need to buy a new 3ds and a nfc reader and you can still play the game without the cards! The only drawback is that you won't be able to design homes for your dreamless right away. you'll have to wait until they show up 😊

Since it comes out the day before my birthday, I've very nicely asked my boyfriend to buy it for me as my present :D I'm really excited about it. I love customising things and being creative; I can see myself spending a long time playing this

i'm definitely getting this game! i haven't played animal crossing in so long but i remember decorating houses was always something i loved to do.

You don't need to buy a new 3ds and a nfc reader and you can still play the game without the cards! The only drawback is that you won't be able to design homes for your dreamless right away. you'll have to wait until they show up ��

OH ok when i read the first post i was like, WHAT I NEED A NEW 3DS? NOOOO Its enough with xenoblade.

If that's the case i have no problem with not being able to use the cards, I mean, better that not being able to play it, and cant afford a new 3DS soon anyways.

Anyway kinda sad the game is only about house modeling with a small "street" in front of the store, would had been cooler if they at least made a "new animal crossing" city themed (you dont move to a town but say, a city) where most stuff is build already.

And ppl live in apartment and stuff, because this feels a bit like a downgraded ver of animal crossing :mad: lots of potential wasted... But yeah, i think i might give it a try for a bit at least, if it entretains me for a good while, is money well worth, i do like the world of AC

this feels a bit like a downgraded ver of animal crossing :mad: lots of potential wasted...

Well, it kind of *is* a downgraded version, on purpose. It's a spinoff and isn't intended to be a full AC game. It'll probably be at least a couple of years until we get a new, full AC. I'm willing to bet that a bunch of the new features in Happy Home Designer will make their way into the next AC.

1. You can use a regular 3ds because the game works without amiibos (itll be cool if I can use the ness amiibo and make his house in game ohohohoho)
2. Im GETTING THE GAME because ac is a childhood game and it looks fun. So I asked my mom to buy me the game when she goes to japan tomorrow
3. I heard the Isabelle card comes with the game
4. Its more than decorating the interior. You can add furniture and plants outside, change the environment, and invite different villagers (thats one of the purposes of the cards)
5. You can customize your own player (as in clothing n stuff)
6. The best part is the animals in this game actually interact with stuff
7 If none of these make up your mind, watch those mini intro gameplays. Theyre completely spoiler free and only show the features in the game!
5. I dont know anything about multiplayer

Well, it kind of *is* a downgraded version, on purpose. It's a spinoff and isn't intended to be a full AC game. It'll probably be at least a couple of years until we get a new, full AC. I'm willing to bet that a bunch of the new features in Happy Home Designer will make their way into the next AC.

But sure as hell they are asking the same money as if it was a full AC :p Not to mention the cards/amiibos deal. Actually, with all that we might be paying more for a downgraded version on purpose but not selling it as one. ;) (what im trying to say is that it is intended to be a full AC game to the customer's eyes haha)

All i hope is the cards dont give much exclusivity of stuff, just make some stuff quickier/easier and whatever, saw you can invite ppl to houses with the cards but they dont really have a dialogue.

I sure do hope they use this stuff for the next AC game. Well, they would be dumb if they didnt xD

Last edited:
But sure as hell they are asking the same money as if it was a full AC :p Not to mention the cards/amiibos deal. Actually, with all that we might be paying more for a downgraded version on purpose but not selling it as one. ;)

All i hope is the cards dont give much exclusivity of stuff, just make some stuff quickier/easier and whatever, saw you can invite ppl to houses with the cards but they dont really have a dialogue

I agree with you about the price! It's more expensive than AC: New Leaf was!

You can absolutely play without the cards. The only real limitation of not playing with the cards is a) you won't be able to invite Special NPCs to deco their homes (like Isabelle, Tom Nook, etc.) and b) you won't be able to invite villagers over to other villagers' homes for parties or control which villagers work in your public buildings. I've watched hours and hours of gameplay, and Special NPC cards don't give you much in the way of exclusive stuff, other than their pictures and a couple of other items (like Isabelle comes with a version of the AC scooter from Mario Kart and Resetti has the little Resetti model, for example). Just about all of the furniture items (including all the amazing new furniture items) come from regular villagers. Someone posted an album on imgur showing that they were able to unlock pretty much all the non-special villagers purely by finding them on Main Street. So while the cards add to the convenience factor, they don't provide a ton of extra stuff.

All that said, even though the price seems very high for a spinoff, having watched the gameplay, I think it's totally worth it. While it's not a full AC game, it's a game unto itself and I can tell I'll be spending hours and hours playing. :D

3. I heard the Isabelle card comes with the game

5. I dont know anything about multiplayer

I think the game comes with a random special npc, not specifically Isabelle but there is a chance for Isabelle. I'm not sure about this as the game has not been released here yet, but after watching several u boxing videos I've noticed several have cards other than Isabelle.

And there is no multiplayer unfortunately but it looks like some online play will still be included with the Happy Home Network that Lottie unlocks.

I think the game comes with a random special npc, not specifically Isabelle but there is a chance for Isabelle. I'm not sure about this as the game has not been released here yet, but after watching several u boxing videos I've noticed several have cards other than Isabelle.

And there is no multiplayer unfortunately but it looks like some online play will still be included with the Happy Home Network that Lottie unlocks.

Yup I just discovered about the multiplayer thing. I guessed Isabelle since her card was shown on the game's case (or on the a promotion thing) but there should be one free card that comes with the game

I live in Japan, so it's already out, but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm a student so I don't have a lot of money! I'm thinking maybe of trying to get my hands on the special character cards, and then getting an NFC reader and the game later...maybe after the price drops.

I agree with you about the price! It's more expensive than AC: New Leaf was!

You can absolutely play without the cards. The only real limitation of not playing with the cards is a) you won't be able to invite Special NPCs to deco their homes (like Isabelle, Tom Nook, etc.) and b) you won't be able to invite villagers over to other villagers' homes for parties or control which villagers work in your public buildings. I've watched hours and hours of gameplay, and Special NPC cards don't give you much in the way of exclusive stuff, other than their pictures and a couple of other items (like Isabelle comes with a version of the AC scooter from Mario Kart and Resetti has the little Resetti model, for example). Just about all of the furniture items (including all the amazing new furniture items) come from regular villagers. Someone posted an album on imgur showing that they were able to unlock pretty much all the non-special villagers purely by finding them on Main Street. So while the cards add to the convenience factor, they don't provide a ton of extra stuff.

All that said, even though the price seems very high for a spinoff, having watched the gameplay, I think it's totally worth it. While it's not a full AC game, it's a game unto itself and I can tell I'll be spending hours and hours playing. :D

x0x i wanna decorate Isabelle's house haha screw cards T-T but it must be fun tobe able to use them

Last edited:
So, what are you all planning to do about the cards?

I was originally going to try to get all of them despite the expense.

Then it seemed like there will be a shortage and I thought maybe I'd rather play the game without cards instead of trying to cope with another Nintendo shortage.

Tonight I ordered 5 of the Japanese 3-packs of cards (a total of 15 cards). But what if I don't get any animals that I like? Hmmm. I haven't decided if I will order any more.

Last edited:
So, what are you all planning to do about the cards?

I was originally going to try to get all of them despite the expense.

Then it seemed like there will be a shortage and I thought maybe I'd rather play the game without cards instead of trying to cope with another Nintendo shortage.

Tonight I ordered 5 of the Japanese 3-packs of cards (a total of 15 cards). But what if I don't get any animals that I like? Hmmm. I haven't decided if I will order any more.

I was really hoping to be able to get my hands on a whole booster box of NA cards, which I want to share with a friend who doesn't have the means to buy her own. Not sure if that'll be possible, but I'm going to ask at my local store if they can order a box for me, even without a pre-order option. I haven't ordered any as yet, but at this rate, I might get online and order some Japanese cards.

I am getting it in NA when it comes out.

I really wanted the cards more than the game, but after seeing screenshots from people I am really excited about the game!

Game Stops near where I live are nice shops with Really nice clueless employees. When I pre-ordered ACNL bundle they said they didn't have it; they said they sold my reserved copy..they eventually found it.

Best Buy - they know even less...but store signage for HHD is starting to appear!

I'm going to buy it...and I want to pre-order with Game Stop to get the poster...but..(see above)

I want the cards...what will NA inventory be like? I hope it isn't one box per store for everyone and that's it.

There just isn't a place that says to me "Buy from here! We are awesome!"

Absolutely. I've had it on preorder a while now. Originally had just the game itself on preorder but changed to the XL bundle once it went up for sale. :)

Last edited:
I was unsure about getting it, when I thought about the concept I always just thought it'd be a bit boring just decorating the villagers houses all day... but now that I've watched some gameplay footage I'm definitely getting it; it looks so fun!

And I just know I won't be able to stop myself buying the amiibo cards and trying to collect them all haha, goodbye student loan ;o;

Back