• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Your opinions about Raymond

I don’t like him or dislike him, but I dont get why he was/is so popular. I didn’t like how people were trading millions of bells or even real money for him, because that’s just not what animal crossing is.

I love his two colored eyes and office vibe. He's a really cool cat but I would never pay real money for him unless I were to get his amiibo along with others.

eh, i'm indifferent on him now. i didn't really like his design, and then everyone being OBSESSED with him sort of just made me find him annoying for some reason? i got him on my first acnh island and immediately gave him away to someone on twitter at the height of the hype lol. i feel like i just didnt dig the tax accountant vibes!

I do like Raymond. I thought he was just a cool villager at first since he was popular, but after I had him move to my island, one thing led to another and he's grown on me... for unexpected reasons.

As a result of these unexpected reasons, I recently redesigned his house. So now in Westward, Raymond is secretly a metalhead, heh. If you wanna know why I made him like that, it's kind of a long story...
IMG_1044.jpeg

I didn’t like him at first, but then I decided to hunt for him casually. After 60 tickets I gave up until my mom found him on her second island. She knew I wanted him and surprised me with him. As a result I’ve grown really attached to Raymond due to the good memories he caused.

I was pretty surprised when I saw the date of this thread, it was started in 2020, in the year of fire for Animal Crossings New Horizons, so I can understand the overreaction of the author of the thread, in the end love and hate are two sides of the same coin. I explain myself:
in 2020 everyone wanted the new villagers and the amiibo to obtain them didn't yet exist, everyone loved Raymond madly dragged by his explosive popularity, therefore to a reaction of such excessive love (not always genuine, players often wanted Raymond only because he was popular, and not because they really liked him) automatically corresponds to a reaction of excessive hatred on the part of those players who didn't understand why Raymond had to be so loved just because he was new, and consequently they hated the idea of those who took advantage of that popularity to sell him at absurd prices.

I mean, it's understandable, but at the end of the day he's just a villager, and like every villager he cannot be judged objectively, each of us has different tastes.
I like Chops, I think his design is brilliant, but many hate him.
Many like Sherb, instead I think his design is plain, he's cute but there are tons of villagers cuter than him in my opinion.

Returning to the main point of the thread, I like Raymond a lot, I think they really put effort into his design.
For example, another character who enjoyed disproportionate popularity at the time of New Leaf was Marshal, but I didn't know he was so popular, he was my first smug in the town I created in 2017, and I found him very sweet and cute but I wasn't particularly crazy about him.
However, after having had him for 7 years in my town, I am absurdly fond of him, but there are other smugs that I prefer for their design, such as Julian, Kyle, Jacques, Chops and Raymond (bonus for Wolf Link).
Maybe I would have preferred Marshal as lazy, but he's still an adorable, cheeky, womanizing squirrel and I'm very attached to him.

The same happened with Gigi too, I'm not crazy about her design, when I saw her for the first time she scared me a little because she's really, really extra. But then I started to love her and I still love her with all my heart, she was born to be a queen. And if I had Sherb on my island I would get attached to him too, the magic of how attached you get is that it doesn't matter if their designs don't drive you crazy, for you they will be fabulous on an emotional level, which is much stronger.

I think he's pretty good. He's not one of my absolute top favorite villagers, but probably a level below them because he has a pretty strong design. I tend to prefer when villagers have unique aspects to their design and also appreciate when they have accessories incorporated into their designs as well, so Raymond's heterochromatic eyes and glasses appeal to me. His gray fur is a nice color, the black accents on his ears, paws and tail looks good and, while I tend to prefer that villagers that have "hair" as part of their design actually have hair instead of just a few bangs, his hair tuft still looks nice and fits his overall look well.

His home's default office design is really nice and I like that, with the vest he wears, they really committed to the office worker design for him.

He didn't fit my island's theme in New Horizons, so I've never experienced him in-game yet, but I wouldn't mind having him as a resident in one of the future games if he fits whatever theme I come up with.

I adore Raymond.

I really like the the heterochromia but I also like how minimalist his design is. Additionally, I've always interpreted Raymond as a British Shorthair cat which is one of my favourite cat breeds. I understand the appeal but I equally don't understand how villagers such as Ankha, Shino and Ione aren't more popular than him - given their very unique and bizarre attributes. However, in saying that, I suppose Raymond generally compliments island themes more than they do? There's a lot of factors as to why a villager is more popular than others, I suppose.

He is a wonderful villager. ✨

I think Raymond is a cool cat. I always thought it would've been cool to have him, but I knew that back then it was next to impossible because of the NMT tours having a low chance of getting him, a low chance of him camping/moving in randomly, and getting him from another island would've cost a fortune.

I do have him though. I found him unexpectedly on a NMT Tour and I knew it was fate to get him to join my island. I'm sure he's still there, I haven't touched New Horizons in ages though.

He’s cute and all but definitely overrated. There are other cat villagers I personally prefer. I wouldn’t be upset to randomly get him in game but I would be keeping him permanently.

I can't remember if I've replied to this thread before. Raymond is cute and has a nice design. I can see why he is so popular and I think the team at Nintendo really hit the mark on designing a character people would enjoy. As far as smug villagers goes, I have more loyalty to Marshal however as I became quite attached to him in New Leaf, and I think Marshal's overall colorway and styling matches with the theming of more towns. If I met Raymond island hopping, he would be very tempting to take, but I am not actively seeking him nor do I think he really matches the current aesthetic of my island, Opal Bay. I do however enjoy many of the cat villagers, so any of them adds a source of temptation. I am also quite fond of squirrels, wolves, deer, and dog villagers.

I love Raymond, but I HATE how people paid REAL MONEY for him. Like what? He's on my island also, which tells you a lot lol.

I found Raymond on a mystery island when I was brand new to the game. I loved how he looked and was happy to have a cat on my island! I learned later he was incredibly popular, and I understood why, but I had no issue with letting him leave the island.

I think I tend to gravitate toward the more quirky looking villagers. So letting him leave was okay with me (he was a good villager for a long time though!)

i like raymond but i certainly don't feel passionate about him. i'm mostly just amused by the amount of chaos and memes that he has brought to the community particularly the "comfort character" meme. i had actually stopped playing animal crossing or even visiting tbt when new horizons came out so i didn't know of any new villagers or much of anything about the game for like 1-2 years. but i knew about raymond lol and it was like the only thing i knew. i still can't believe how out of control his popularity was.

This was such a surreal thing, the way people really got into this villager.

I can't believe it's still going.

The popular in life are always a topic. They remain famous far longer than they should.

I, however, am a fan of Rodney. The true hero. Hated by many, but still loves all.

I like Raymond, but not as much as I used to. When I first saw him, I LOVED him. He was probably my favorite villager. Now I have him on my island and my opinion of him dampened a bit especially since he prevented my boyfriend from catching a golden stag by standing in front of it and pretending to catch it.

Back