• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Your opinions about Raymond

I love Raymond primarily because of his teefies. Most of the cat villagers don't have teeth! I've only noticed him... and of course Katt who always has teefies. They are the best.View attachment 337618

This the main reason why I like his design so much. I got my Raymond because he randomly filled a plot and I enjoyed having him but I'm ready to let him go.

I'm surprised people are still so polarized by him. It's been half a year already.

Overall I like his design however I disliked him at first because of his obsessive fans. I found him on a Dodo island months ago and decided to bring him to my island. He was ok. I eventually got his picture and gave him to another player when he wanted to move. Thankfully I think his "new villager" syndrome has worn off and the craziness surrounding him has sort of died down.

Well here's my honest thoughts on Raymond since I have had him for so long. I will say I will agree that he is overrated and he should not be overpriced. That said I still find him "pretty good". He's not awesome or bad. He's "good to me. He's the only villager I've seen that actually wear glasses and I wear glasses in real life myself so I can relate to him. I think him having that suit on makes him look unique, but of course like with any other villager he's just another "Smug" villager. I mean even if you want him he'll talk exactly the same as other smug villagers. So even if you got any other smug they will all say the same thing because this game has too much repetitive dialogue. He's not a bad villager he's a good villager to have, but I will say that people should not shame others for liking him or disliking him. Again its all opinions you don't have to agree with everyone as long as you respect their opinion.

First off, that metaphor makes perfect sense to me. And I totally agree :)

I've never had Raymond, and I've never seen or spoken to him on anyone else's island. My opinion comes purely from photos and Youtube videos. I think he's really cute, but it's more because he's a male grey cat. I have always had a grey cat growing up and I really like Lolly for that reason. Now there's another grey kitty! His fangs are adorable. If he was on my island I would give him a backstory. Instead of being an accountant for a corporate firm or something, he'd be the chief financial officer of a non-profit org. Perhaps I've thought way too much into this. He's someone I'd like to have on my island because of my sentimental attachment to grey cats. It's not really about his design or his popularity.

My feelings for him can be summed up in one word: Meh.

But when it comes down to it, I feel nothing for lil Ray-Ray. While his design isn't appealing to me personally (office aesthetics are more my husband's thing and we all know the best male cat is Kabuki) I can see why he's so loved. Ray's the perfect storm of popular traits.

He's a cat, and he looks snarky. So unless he's super weird looking he's all but guaranteed popularity. If there's anything the internet loves, it's cats and snark. This might be a weird tinfoil hat theory, but I believe that if Raymond wasn't a cat he wouldn't be near as in-demand. Popular, sure, but not, say, hundreds-of-dollars-in-real-world-money popular. Judy, Megan, and Dom are all PC transplants but none of them caused nearly a ruckus as the cute little office cat, and they're all just as huggable.

A actually drew a couple of pieces of fanart during the whole situation. One is silly and the other a little more meanspirited and not to mention against TBT's TOS...

TBH I have no cat in the whole Raymond race, but it was funny (and at times disappointing) to watch everyone react to him just like I knew they would.

I personally love him. I find his design adorable- I LOVE the mismatched eyes, I find his face cute, and I love his little tuft of hair. I also tend to lean towards villagers with more natural (or at least neutral) coloring, and his is very nice. His design also matches his personality perfectly. And, let's be real, smug is a VERY appropriate personality for a cat. If I ever found him on an island, I'd 100% snap him up.
That being said, he IS over-rated, and I'm guessing a lot of people who'd otherwise like him hate him purely because he's the hype. Few things can kill your interest in something more quickly then people saying "BUT HE'S THE BEST YOU HAVE TO LOVE AND WORSHIP HIM". But I also see where he's become popular because, even if you dislike his design, you have to admit Nintendo put a lot of work and effort into it. It's one of the most unique and lovingly detailed designs of any villager, even if it's not to your taste. Just like Ankha has a very detailed design, and is very popular... but I personally dislike her. And, of course, cat villagers tend to be popular. As do smug villagers (let's be real- Julian was ACNL's Raymond, he also has a very detailed design and smug personality). I've seen a lot of people complain about the smug personality... but it often seems to be a "love to hate" sort of thing. He's also new, too, which can help- novelty can definitely boost the popularity of an already popular villager.

Though, I 100% do not get the maid dress thing. I'm gonna guess it's related to anime purely because I know next to nothing about anime.

So, to sum up- I love him. I get why other people do, too. But I feel like the hype behind him is overblown and guaranteed to turn a lot of people off.

And, I'm not gonna lie, just like any other villager I genuinely like I hate to see them being bashed (hence why I'm not reading most of these other posts, I can see where this is going) or see people insist the only reason anyone likes him is because he's popular (which... how does something become popular if people only like it 'cause it's popular?) If you like a villager, great! If you don't, that's cool! But there's never any need to bash any you don't like, especially since there are guaranteed to be people who do like them. I personally have some strong feelings on Barold and Clay and Tabby. But I'm not gonna get into those, because I'd rather focus on the villagers I do like, and I know there are people who love them and I don't want to hurt their feelings.

I love Raymond primarily because of his teefies. Most of the cat villagers don't have teeth! I've only noticed him... and of course Katt who always has teefies. They are the best.View attachment 337618
I also love the teeth! I just have to say- if there was ever a cat villager with one little toof they'd probably be my new favorite, because Ihave an elderly cat with just one toof (that's what we call it, it's VERY intimidating and scary, don't disrespect the toof) and she's forever my chubby, one-toofed, roly-poly baby.

Firstly I love your belly button metaphor 😂 I have spent many happy holidays in Portugal and hope to be back as soon as we are allowed.

Anyway, Raymond I personally don’t get the appeal. I do think he has been over hyped and i wish he didn’t get sold for such stupid amounts as it means a lot to some people who want him as a dreamie, not just to sell on for a profit.

The new villagers were obviously going to have some favourites. I got Audie in the beginning and she became one of my favourites 😍 I also have Megan who is my cute purple care bear 💜 Reneigh I still don’t get. 🤔

This might be a weird tinfoil hat theory, but I believe that if Raymond wasn't a cat he wouldn't be near as in-demand.
Trust me, I believe you with that. I have a theory in the inverse that if Klaus was a deer or a wolf he’d be on the top of everyone’s tier lists (what with being a Roman emperor). Species plays a HUGE role in popularity.

I'm sick of him. No I'm just kidding.

But I think it's a bit ridiculous how some villagers are put on pedestal and others aren't. It just another way of saying 'This villager is better than that villager' and I personally don't agree with that. In my opinions all the villagers are unique, special and great, yes even the gorilla villagers that I'm NOT a fan of but they are also unique in their own way.

He's just a cat and I like cats. So I'm OK with him. I just dislike his popularity, tbh. Moe's better.

I'm sick of him. No I'm just kidding.

But I think it's a bit ridiculous how some villagers are put on pedestal and others aren't. It just another way of saying 'This villager is better than that villager' and I personally don't agree with that. In my opinions all the villagers are unique, special and great, yes even the gorilla villagers that I'm NOT a fan of but they are also unique in their own way.

i agree with you to a degree. I think a lot of the people that like some super popular villagers don’t intend to put them on a pedestal than others. Also, I never see villagers that I like as being better than others; maybe I like some better than others - no way going around that since I’m a human too, but I definitely don’t want to say to someone who feels differently - you’re wrong since I don’t think anyone is wrong. I appreciate seeing opinions that are different than mine; I actually like a lot more villagers thank to that. .I think there is nothing wrong with sharing how much you love a villager and posting screenshots. Now if someone makes a thread that says this villager is the best and anyone who who doesn’t like this villager needs to get their eyes checked, now that’s a whole different story.

Do some other villagers deserve some spotlight too? Yes! I love Gaston and a bunch of unpopular villagers, however, do I want to force people to like them? no. People can’t help liking who they like even if they like me don’t like them for their popularity or for the same reasons as everyone else.

I personally don’t have any interest in Raymond. He’s kind of cute, but not among my favorites, though I do like his little fangs. There’s no villager who is objectively better than any other, it is all subjective, but it is natural for some to get momentum and become popular for a variety of reasons and that seems harmless to me. Him being popular doesn’t really affect me.

he seems to bring a lot of people a lot of joy and i think overall that is something good. Yes there has been some people going overboard, getting weirdly cliquey about it, and causing themselves stress in their desire to get him ASAP, and people looking to take advantage of the craze, but overall the Raymond craze seems harmless, if sometimes annoying and overbearing at times.

I personally find the hate-dom or whatever you want to call it much more obnoxious. This does NOT mean I dislike people hating certain villagers for whatever reason they want, particularly in threads like this where the whole point is to discuss villager likes and dislikes. But when people seem to dedicate all their time to hating on villagers or fans it does bother me (what exactly is wrong with Rodney anyway that there is a whole sub-Reddit to discuss it and what is fun about that?). We all have limited time, so why spend it focused on something you hate? (Reminds me of the weird enthusiasm for hating Twilight back in the day - they spent more time thinking about twilight than the fans). Also, some people tend to set up a dichotomy wherein everyone who likes something popular are sheep, and they are ‘unique’ for disliking that thing. But disliking something because it is popular is exactly the same as liking it because it is popular.

I also think, whether consciously or not the demonizing of anything popular with ‘fan girls’ is tied to our (at least in the US) need to devalue and ridicule girls and women, especially teen girls.

Again, this does not apply to people simply disliking who they dislike and is not aimed at anyone in this thread. Luckily, TBT seems to most of the time avoid the toxicity of other parts of the fan community.

I saw it mentioned above and just want to note personally I don’t think there is anything obnoxious about rate my villager threads any more than there is with threads like this? I personally like it as a game because it lets you see how different everyone’s opinions are. The point isn’t to change anyone’s mind about villagers, in my experience, just to like quickly get a glimpse of people’s differing views on them.

sorry, this went off on a tangent, but i guess -
TL;DR : I’m whatever on Raymond, but happy for the people who love him. More power to you if you dislike him, also valid! Fan girls get an unnecessarily bad rap. And I think Rodney is very cute.

I think he's adorable, and if he ever comes to my campsite or I find him on a villager search, I will take him in a heartbeat. Pay an exorbitant price for him? No way. I don't have "dreamies" per se, but I do want Raymond. Eventually.

I mean, I have nothing against Raymond and I'm sure he's great but everyone seems to either want him or have him and it's just the more people who have him the less appealing he is to me, personally. It's like everyone has him so where is the appeal. It's like going to a comic con and everyone is dressed like Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece. It's like where is the uniqueness? Where's the variety? See Raymond on every island you visit.

I got Raymond to move in randomly when he came over to camp a couple of months back without knowing how popular he is among AC fans, and I don't mind him too much. Though he's not my favourite villager by a long shot, he's quirky and has a cute design. Sometimes I get tired of his constant nonsense, but not to the point that he's annoying. As for the RMT point, I completely agree with Amanda and I'd never buy a villager or anything like that. At the same time, people are free to do with their money what they want so it doesn't bother me that much. Now that you mention it, maybe I could make some good cash on him if he ever starts to get on my nerves... >w>

At first glance, I really liked him.
Not because he was popular, but because I believe he's based on David Bowie with the different colored eyes, and because I couldn't have Felyne as I did in NL, I thought Raymond would be the perfect substitute.

Then when topics popped up about him, with folks gushing endlessly about him, it put me right off.

After a while I thought, bugger it.
I liked him for my own reasons to begin with, then felt put off because of all the hype, so I decided to amiibo out Shep so I had no smugs on my island, then called all my smug amiibo's to make the smug list smaller of who was left, and TT'd two in game years doing the campsite reroll until Raymond showed up.

I like him.
I've always had one cat, and since Felyne isn't available, Raymond is it.

Raymond by himself is ok, but the fact that he is "trendy" (in an annoying way) makes him dislike him. I feel bad for those who genuinely like Raymond for his design and not his popularity because the internet has completely ruined his reputation, and makes it seem like everyone who has Raymond on their island are all "flexing their privilege" in some sort of way (either by being rich enough to afford him or lucky enough to have found him).

I know for some this is not the case at all (i.e. my own sister who has Raymond on her island), but its sad to see others paying real money for this cat online only to post pictures of him on instagram doing something "cute" solely for likes and follows.

I wasn't totally sold on him until he showed up at my campsite one day, but over time, he's become one of my favorite villagers. I think his design is great, and I really like his voice. I'm sure other smugs have the same voice and have the same dialogue, but I just associate it with him now. It's fine if not everyone likes him - finding your own favorite villagers is part of the fun of the game, whether they are popular or not.

While I probably wouldn't personally buy a villager digitally, I don't necessarily think it's strange that people are paying money for him. Many of us buy amiibo cards which is very similar. I've bought a lot of amiibo cards and it has increased my enjoyment of the game and saved me the time and headache of searching for specific villagers I wanted to try.

His design isn't exactly bad by any means, he just looks bland especially compared to how creative other villager designs are. If his design was a lot more iconic then I might understand the hype.
If people genuinely like him I'm perfectly fine with it but if they're going ham over a bunch of cat-shaped polygons and only have him because he's "popular" or isn't an "ugly villager" or whatever then they're just part of the problem when it comes to how toxic the AC community has become lowkey because of him. It has died down a lot though, thank goodness.

Sidenote - It might be just me who thinks this but he really doesn't even look like he belongs in Animal Crossing. He has the same vibes as the Sanrio and Zelda characters from the NL Welcome Amiibo update; I feel like he's supposed to be some sort of reference to something rather than an actual character.

Back