• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

3DS or XL?

KarlaKGB

meme dilettante
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Kirby Easter Egg
Famous Mushroom
The Bell Tree Fair 2016 Patch
Silver Trophy (Second Place)
Tasty Cake
う
Red Cosmos
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the search function won't let me use those terms. Is it worth getting an XL for this game? I already have a 3DS. I heard that the XL doesn't actually increase the pixel density with the bigger screen, so it just stretches the image in a way. However, some games seem to still benefit from the larger screen and look better. Anyone have any input on if this is the case for ACNL?

Unless you want to spend the money to upgrade to an XL, I'd just keep the 3DS. I'm unwilling to do that myself. I like my Aqua Blue DS. :3

I don't see the appeal of a slightly bigger system when I have a perfectly fine 3DS. Plus a slightly bigger screen doesn't mean much if you're a person like me who loses focus on the world around you when you get into a handheld game. Even my DS's screen seems as big as a computer monitor to me when I zone out! xD

I don't see the appeal of a slightly bigger system when I have a perfectly fine 3DS. Plus a slightly bigger screen [...]

slightly? I think the difference is immense, the screens of the 3DS XL are really huge.
Which is why I will upgrade to a 3DS XL soon. The bigger screens are soo nice.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the search function won't let me use those terms. Is it worth getting an XL for this game? I already have a 3DS. I heard that the XL doesn't actually increase the pixel density with the bigger screen, so it just stretches the image in a way. However, some games seem to still benefit from the larger screen and look better. Anyone have any input on if this is the case for ACNL?

I just think every1 should check out the 3DS XL (at a store or a convention or whatever) and then decide for themselves.

Last edited:
I had the same exact question and I did end up upgrading, I have no regrets! It's screen makes the 3D so immersive, and rounded edges and matte finish make it really nice to hold. Just upgrading actually made me play it a lot more than I used to. Do it, and you won't regret it.

If I were to get an XL I'd wait for the AC bundle pack, but that would mean getting the hard copy of NL and I'm not sure if I want to do that...

I just upgraded to an XL and thought I might regret it since I have a regular one but as soon as I held it I knew that I wouldnt regret it. I loooove it! I think it will just be more comfortable for me mainly.

Its a tough choice but it you have the extra money I'd recommend it, just like everyone said try to see one in person and just think about it, it took me a while to decide. (And Idk about in the UK but in US there was a sale at targey/walmart and theres a club nintendo promotion if you get luigis mansion or mystery dungeon and an xl before a certain date you get to choose a free download game and I did that as well. Ultimately the combo of the sale and promotion was what got me to go for it...idk if i would have otherwise.

If you have the extra money, go for it!

I upgraded specifically for New Leaf my self. I put my copy of Wild World into my regular 3DS and everything seemed so small and I didnt want to experience New Leaf like that.

Also if you use the 3D a lot, it is better on the XL. The XL is a lot more comfortable in your hands as well if you play for long periods of time.

Its all just luxury though. The regular 3DS gets the job done, the XL is just slightly better all around. Trade in some games and/or your old 3DS at EBgames/Gamestop and you can get it cheaper.

i traded my 3DS in for the xl. it's more comfortable for me to hold and the bigger screen is really nice. if you have the money, go for it!

I got a 3DS only for animal crossing (well, now Pokemon too in October) because I thought it would be a waste to spend the extra money for an XL when it's only really for one game. Then my friend recently got a 3DS XL and I saw it in person... I'm so jealous! I don't think I'll upgrade though because it's not worth the money for me :p

But wait. When you guys say upgrade, do you mean sell the 3DS and buy a new XL, or is there actually a thing where you can upgrade, and how much does that cost..?

But wait. When you guys say upgrade, do you mean sell the 3DS and buy a new XL, or is there actually a thing where you can upgrade, and how much does that cost..?

Upgrading just means already owning the 3DS and then getting the XL after. I wish you could just "upgrade" your old 3DS, how cool would that be! ^-^

I would trade my 3DS in to get a cheaper XL, but then I wouldn't get a chance to transfer everything over to the XL.

Yes, the upgrade is well worth it. I was in the exact same position as you a month ago since I already had a 3DS, and I finally made the change. My old 3DS made my hands cramp up, the damn thing scratched its own screen, and was a fingerprint magnet. I sold it for around $100, and have never regretted it. A lot of people say the XL is an alternative to the original, but it's definitely an upgrade.

I would trade my 3DS in to get a cheaper XL, but then I wouldn't get a chance to transfer everything over to the XL.

I researched this online before I traded mine in. My EBgames/Gamestop let me buy the 3DSXL and take it home, update it, and system transfer, then refund it and trade in my old system. Also lots of people online said their Gamestop had Wifi and let them system transfer in the store. So just phone up your local store and see what they say.

I upgraded cause I ordered a pink one from Japan.. Very nice screen size. I honestly could never go back to a smaller screen

Also lots of people online said their Gamestop had Wifi and let them system transfer in the store.

jackiechan_confused1.jpg

Why does it matter if the shop has Wifi if you want to make a system transfer between the two systems?

I had a regular 3ds and upgraded to the XL around November I think. I love it! The big screen is much nicer, and it doesn't get as smudgy as the regular 3ds. It all comes down to preference. I'd check Gamestop and see what trade-in deals they are offering on consoles (cause I think they have a pretty neat one going on right now) and do that.

Plus as far as a "stretch" is concerned, I've never seen any game look any different aside from bigger. Also I think the screens are 90% bigger on the XL.

I don't know where Nintendo got the 90% bigger figure from, because the screens are only about 30% more in diameter.

Back