• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

5 ways computers are a lot better today (and 5 ways that they are worse)

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
As technology advances over the years, computers advance too. And it’s not just PCs or Macs. It includes tablets, phones, watches, and video game consoles. While later versions are a lot better as some of the problems with the earlier computers are long gone, there are problems with today’s technology that are so bad that I would like to take a step back or even go primitive, in a time technology is advancing. I may be a millennial, but I appeal to the older technology more than the newer technology. Despite that, I still think newer technology is better in some ways.

5 ways today’s computers are better:

1. More Features: Computers today have a lot more features that give us more room for creativity. Take for instance, Microsoft Office. If you were growing up in the 2000s decade, you would remember when word art and text effects weren’t a thing, when gradient backgrounds in PowerPoint could only have two colors, and when Excel didn’t have many ways to arrange your data. Looking at today’s technology shown us that we have came a long way in Microsoft Office. I can use gradient backgrounds in Word on Page Format. I can move all filled cells in Excel next to each other. Other example is Apple’s iOS versions. The earliest versions didn’t have home screen backgrounds. Now you will eventually choose color themes for your iPhone.
  2. More Data: Another big one that shows why new computers are better is because of data storage. 40 years ago, one kilobyte of data costed over $1,000, and computers weren’t able to do much back then. Nowadays, gigabytes are much cheaper than $100. More data storage also allows graphical improvements, bigger files, and more to do in programs.
  3. Fewer Crashes: One thing I am more glad about in future computers were how frequent computer crashes were. In Windows 98 and Windows XP, computers crashed a lot of times. Programs were forced to close due to unknown errors, which anger me a lot if I put in so much work into my works. I expect computers to run the programs, and saying that the programs can’t run because of some “error” is basically lying. Since we’ve been using computers for a long time now, computer crashes are becoming a lot less common. This is one thing I don’t miss about older versions.
  4. Instant Access Online: While the technology of the computers is doing better, the technology of the internet is also doing better. Back when I was on TV.com, I wasted my days sitting on my personal computer to check the few inactive forums I go to. I could only go to TV.com on my home computer, which is in one place. Since I have an iPhone, which can connect to the internet anywhere and is portable, I can access this forum anywhere, including in the middle of the country roads when on a road trip.
  5. Google: Google used to be only a search engine that can look for results. Now it has many services. Its own browser, maps, driverless cars, and many more I can say. Technology is a strength. It improves lives.

5 ways today’s computers are worse:

1. Control: One thing I hate about Windows 10 is how my computer basically controls itself. Sometimes, I like to put my computer on sleep mode so I don’t have to wait longer to turn on my computer, but when it’s on sleep mode, my computer has the potential to wake itself up because of some automatic updates had to install themselves or because the computer begs me to install updates. This is a nuisance, especially if I’m working on another program. I don’t want my computer installing updates automatically with no way to turn it off, then beg me to restart when I’m busy with another program on my computer. I wouldn’t mind being reminded that I have updates to install so I can manually install them later, but if they’re going to do it automatically and disrupt my work, then that’s going to annoy me.
  2. Notifications: In addition to how I no longer have total control of my computer, they give me too many notifications, which may be a disruption when I’m working on something. I don’t want another window created while I’m working on something, asking me to log in to something or check my e-mails. And some programs will not shut up. How often does this happen? A lot. Do they help? No. If it’s not serious enough, they need to leave me alone.
  3. Privacy: Another complaint I have about Windows 10 is how invasive it is. It gives you notifications on what program you’re currently using, it submits all user data to the corporation (even when you are not logged in), and it watches after you every move you make.
  4. Design: Although it’s a relatively minor one, one thing Windows 98 beats the other versions is design. I prefer the classical design over the modern design. This is the one thing I hate about iOS 7 when it first came out. It made all icons and interfaces look basic and flat rather than classical and traditional. However, they can combat this problem by giving us more design options so they can let us use older designs on newer technology. It’s like getting a flatscreen LED TV inside a frame resembling a 1970s TV. Or watching those movies from the 1930s and 1940s on digital.
  5. Fatal Errors: While we’re already advancing in technology, it’s also taking over other stuff, such as driving and accounting. If it goes to the point where it controls everything, then one error or fault will cause catastrophic events. Technology is a weakness. It makes us more vulnerable to problems.

Back