Animal Crossing: New Leaf releases on June 9th in North America, June 14th in Europe

Animal Crossing has never been popular outside of Japan. To be honest, I don't see other countries getting the crazy sales Japan got with this game. But I could end up surprised.

It's not a Mario or a Call of Duty or a Grand Theft Auto or a Madden or a Final Fantasy. Heck, it's not even as popular as The Sims. I'm not really sure why. I don't care for The Sims because it's too much like real life. Animal Crossing is still different from real life enough that it can be relaxing to me and lets me destress after work and such.

I personally think it's not popular because it looks "childish" to a lot of people, and rated M games are all the rage. Animal Crossing has more of a cult following, in that although it isn't making record breaking sales, you can bring the game up in conversation and people will generally know what you're talking about.

But it's never going to blow up to Mario sized proportions because the western world tends to regard anything that's rated E to be stupid, which is unfortunate. Mindcraft's popularity has given me a little hope though, and with Smosh reviewing the game, I could see New Leaf making a name for itself.

Well Animal Crossing and City Folk seem to have sold more copies in the US than Japan, so I certainly wouldn't say Animal Crossing has never been popular outside of Japan. And for Wild World about half of it's 11+million sales where from Japan, but still for the rest of the world those sales are nothing to sniff at!

Also with The Sims being more popular comparison... Of course it's had a ton of instalments so perhaps it isn't a great comparison, but the original Sims was the most successful and sold around 11 million too so it's on par with Wild World if not a tad behind.

Last edited:
Well Animal Crossing and City Folk seem to have sold more copies in the US than Japan, so I certainly wouldn't say Animal Crossing has never been popular outside of Japan. And for Wild World about half of it's 11+million sales where from Japan, but still for the rest of the world those sales are nothing to sniff at!

Also with The Sims being more popular comparison... Of course it's had a ton of instalments so perhaps it isn't a great comparison, but the original Sims was the most successful and sold around 11 million too so it's on par with Wild World if not a tad behind.

I'm not saying it's hated or anything. Far from it. But even 11 million is nothing compared to the numbers sold for the series' I quoted.

Animal Crossing is a Nintendo franchise. Nintendo franchises actually sell well no matter what it is. But compared to the big guns of the video game world, ones that sell so many copies that Gamestop and other stores will actually have midnight releases, Animal Crossing isn't the same. At all. There is more hype for NL than probably any AC game before it. But the hype is nothing compared to what the hype was for Mass Effect 3 before it came out. Or the hype will be for the next Assassin's Creed. Or the hype already is for the next Zelda and the next Pokemon.

Five weeks!
I can't wait any longer... so in a few days' time I have bought Fire Embelm: Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 2 to keep me occupied until the release.

.... Come out sooner, please?

I can't believe its so close, just a few weeks away. Most of us here have been waiting years. We shall all explode when we finally get it. >.<

I can't believe its so close, just a few weeks away. Most of us here have been waiting years. We shall all explode when we finally get it. >.<

Ain't that the bloody truth!
I was geared up the moment it was announced at the E3...
Actually it drove me to get the 3DS (although it was after launch, when the red one came out) just so when it releases (and X and Y) I can start my town.

Although, because the game isn't popular where I live, I fear the streetpass feature will go to waste because I don't think New Leaf will be demoed like the other titles (A theory here). And because some people don't even know it's coming out (I haven't seen a commercial for NL on TV yet) I fear I will have to rely on the houses from Nintendo to supplement it... well unless stores have the game playing on the demo stations then I can see if I can swing a spotpass but you get my point.

Five weeks. *-* We're almost there!
I'm playing ACGC, AC:WW, AC:CF and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon to keep me occupied. I'll probably stop playing Wild World and City Folk when we get the two week mark so I don't get burned out on AC. I'm already starting to get bored of Wild World (again).

Five weeks. *-* We're almost there!
I'm playing ACGC, AC:WW, AC:CF and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon to keep me occupied. I'll probably stop playing Wild World and City Folk when we get the two week mark so I don't get burned out on AC. I'm already starting to get bored of Wild World (again).
I get bored of Wild World cause I played it so much and there is nothing for me to do on it :(

I'm going to get started on LM:DM today. It would probably last me a week or two depending on my play times c:

I get bored of Wild World cause I played it so much and there is nothing for me to do on it :(

I literally finished everything on Wild World.

I just have Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance to finish on my Backlog. :D

Once this game comes out... I'm gonna be playing non-stop. I just know it. orz

I just unlocked the last level on Yoshi's story for the Nintendo 64 and I'm almost done on the D mansion on Luigi's Mansion. Finally beat Skyward Sword. Totally ready AC:NL.

Whelp, I thought I would get started on LM: DM but my day has other plans. Just got this in the mail
image.jpg

A Japanese guide book full of magical wonderment c;

Unless you're talking about "LM: DM" which is Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Back