• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Animated avatar glitching out

Mistreil

🎈
Staff
Project Staff
Artist
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Smash Ball
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Sweet Heart Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Inky
Rainbow Crescent Moon
Heart of the Forest
Enchanted Bloom
Enchanted Butterfly Glow Wand
Rainbow Moon Jellyfish
EDIT: I worked around it, but the problem seems to be in how the forum itself compresses transparent GIFs (saving space by not truncating areas that don't change across frames, but instead of drawing them in when displaying the truncated version, it just leaves it empty). So the solution is to make sure all of the pixels change at least once in your gif.

I tried to make an animated avatar (for the TBT fair, heh) but now that I've uploaded it, it seems to be glitching out (look at my avatar to see what I mean -- the top part disappears for some of the frames) _( ; A ; _)L

The intended result is this:
tbt_avatar.gif

So far, I've tried:
  • Changing some settings when I save the GIF and re-uploading it
  • Uploading it to a GIF editting website and then saving it again
  • Resizing it
Not sure what else to try at this point, and I... really don't want to give up on this avatar ;; i spent 2 days suffering to make this -- i've gone too far to give up now
If anyone has any suggestions (or if they can fix it for me) that'd be great o|-<

Last edited:
I tried so many things and these are the best I could get LOL i think it has something to do with the transparency but idk
trans_1.gif
19222633r60QEhdM.gif
< one's got a crusty outline and the other has a circle, sorry it's the best I could do OTL

I pulled your gif into Photoshop to check it and didn't find anything wrong with any of the layers or anything that was a red flag. I re-saved it for web. When I try to attach it it plays perfectly in the actual post preview but in the "attachments" section below it looks exactly like what's happening in your avatar now. It's very strange!

I tried so many things and these are the best I could get LOL i think it has something to do with the transparency but idk
trans_1.gif
19222633r60QEhdM.gif
< one's got a crusty outline and the other has a circle, sorry it's the best I could do OTL
aaa thank you for trying bungo ;_;)9 i'm pretty sure it's something with the transparency too so i guess the last resort is to make it nontransparent
but i spent like 2 hours making the transparency look decent so i could have it on the backdrop nicely -- i'm just being stubborn now GDFKLGJLDGJ if i can't solve it by tomorrow i'll give up on the transparency

I pulled your gif into Photoshop to check it and didn't find anything wrong with any of the layers or anything that was a red flag. I re-saved it for web. When I try to attach it it plays perfectly in the actual post preview but in the "attachments" section below it looks exactly like what's happening in your avatar now. It's very strange!
yeah!!! its weird 'A');;; if you click on it in my profile it looks perfectly fine, so it seems like somethings weird with how tbt resizes them?
maybe.. if i resize it even smaller... it'll work? time to try again

Last edited:
aaa thank you for trying bungo ;_;)9 i'm pretty sure it's something with the transparency too so i guess the last resort is to make it nontransparent
but i spent like 2 hours making the transparency look decent so i could have it on the backdrop nicely -- i'm just being stubborn now GDFKLGJLDGJ if i can't solve it by tomorrow i'll give up on the transparency

yeah!!! its weird 'A');;; if you click on it in my profile it looks perfectly fine, so it seems like somethings weird with how tbt resizes them?
maybe.. if i resize it even smaller... it'll work? time to try again

Maybe try sizing the dimensions down a bit before you upload it? But that's just another guess at this point. It must be something with the avatar upload that's going wrong!

Maybe try sizing the dimensions down a bit before you upload it? But that's just another guess at this point. It must be something with the avatar upload that's going wrong!
tested a bunch of sizes (down to... 100x100) resizing it prior to uploading doesnt seem to fix it o|-< i have a bunch of guesses as to whats happening but... i'll just keep fiddling for now! thank you though -- at least i know im not doing something crazy wrong
Post automatically merged:

aha -- one of my guesses were right! the one part that kept glitching out was the one part that never got changed... so it seems like it was trying to compress things too much! so i guess problem solved... sort of 'w')b

now to figure out how to make it less obvious that its changing with each frame

Last edited:
tested a bunch of sizes (down to... 100x100) resizing it prior to uploading doesnt seem to fix it o|-< i have a bunch of guesses as to whats happening but... i'll just keep fiddling for now! thank you though -- at least i know im not doing something crazy wrong
Post automatically merged:

aha -- one of my guesses were right! the one part that kept glitching out was the one part that never got changed... so it seems like it was trying to compress things too much! so i guess problem solved... sort of 'w')b

now to figure out how to make it less obvious that its changing with each frame
glad you figured it out \o/

Back