• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Are there rules about who will ask to move out? I have one villager I'd like to move out and a few others I wouldn't mind, but the only ones who seem to have asked me recently are my three favorites.

Are there rules about who will ask to move out? I have one villager I'd like to move out and a few others I wouldn't mind, but the only ones who seem to have asked me recently are my three favorites.
Yes, there are. More likely than not, you have been ignoring your disliked villagers, and talking a lot with your favorites. You are only causing yourself problems by doing that.Explanation: There's a friendship ladder. Talking with the villager makes you go up. Ignoring does nothing. But, villagers will ping most of the time at the top of the ladder, or at the very bottom. Likely, there's no way to check this, but you're in the middle. That will not do any good.The solution: Make a new character, introduce it to all of the unwanted villagers ONCE, save and quit, and delete the character. Alternatively, you could use your mayor file to build friendship up the ladder.

Not really "rules." But what we know is this:
  • Void move-ins and street-passed villagers won't move out if they're the 10th villager to move in. (Some claim otherwise, but the majority of users say you can't.)
  • Villagers who move in, who you have introduced yourself to (talked to while unpacking), and then ignored tend to move in about a week. (Excluding the above.)
  • Villagers that have a high friendship with you ask to move more often.

Basically, if you want a villager out and you've already talked with them more than once, it's best to do as many favors as you can for them to increase friendship. Or create a new character with which you can ignore them.

Last edited:
Likely, there's no way to check this, but you're in the middle.

You know, that's probably it. I do like everyone I have, but I don't go out of the way for them like I do for my favorites. I'll try making an effort with Wolfgang for a while and see what happens. Thanks!

Edited to add: Thanks Ettienne also!

Last edited:
Will high friendship villagers ever do the "I agree to let them move, but they change their minds" thing? I decided to let Rudy go, and he agreed. The next two days, when he brought up moving, I told him okay and he continued to agree to move. The last time, I reset and stopped him because I changed my mind. But, I'm wondering if I had played it all the way out if he would have ever changed his mind.

Normally, I just jump to their moving day or beyond and it isn't an issue. I'm glad I didn't do that this time.

I need a little bushy help:

Untitled_zps3785d27b.png

The dark green is bushes, the light green is trees. They were all planted at the same time, and the red square is the only bush that wilted. Remembering that people say you sometimes have to plant them in sequence, I dug up the bush below the wilted bush and replanted only the wilted bush. The next day, it was wilted again. So, I dug up the bush above the wilted bush and planted a tree on the wilted space. The tree grew. So, it's not a dead spot. I have now planted a bush on the wilted spot and have left the spaces above and below it blank. Assuming the bush grows, will I be able to plant the ones above and below it without them wilting? I'm not close to the 12-bush limit, but do I have too many things in the general area?

(blue is water, dark grey is a permarock, light gray is the police station, just to fully explain the map)

Will high friendship villagers ever do the "I agree to let them move, but they change their minds" thing? I decided to let Rudy go, and he agreed. The next two days, when he brought up moving, I told him okay and he continued to agree to move. The last time, I reset and stopped him because I changed my mind. But, I'm wondering if I had played it all the way out if he would have ever changed his mind.

Normally, I just jump to their moving day or beyond and it isn't an issue. I'm glad I didn't do that this time.
I've seen exactly one person say they've had high friendship villagers change their mind (because they like you too much to leave or whatever) as often as low friendship villagers, but I've never personally experienced it. It's probably rare(r).

Untitled_zps3785d27b.png

The dark green is bushes, the light green is trees. They were all planted at the same time, and the red square is the only bush that wilted. Remembering that people say you sometimes have to plant them in sequence, I dug up the bush below the wilted bush and replanted only the wilted bush. The next day, it was wilted again. So, I dug up the bush above the wilted bush and planted a tree on the wilted space. The tree grew. So, it's not a dead spot. I have now planted a bush on the wilted spot and have left the spaces above and below it blank. Assuming the bush grows, will I be able to plant the ones above and below it without them wilting? I'm not close to the 12-bush limit, but do I have too many things in the general area?

(blue is water, dark grey is a permarock, light gray is the police station, just to fully explain the map)
I would dig up the one you just planted on the wilted spot and try replanting the bottom three one at a time, starting with the uppermost one. If any of them fail to grow you could try digging up (and replanting later) the three below those too.

I used to preach about the "you can't have too many bushes/trees in one area" thing but now I'm pretty sure you can always work around that as long as you plant them in sequence.

edit: Numbered them in the order you should replant them in case my description wasn't clear :p

hjV678m.png

Last edited:
It makes sense. Thanks. I only have a short time until the new day starts, so I better get on it! I'm planting hydrangeas, but I think I'll use bushes I don't care about (holly, sweet-olive) until I see if it works. My hydrangeas are running low!

Thanks! You're always very helpful. :cool:

It makes sense. Thanks. I only have a short time until the new day starts, so I better get on it! I'm planting hydrangeas, but I think I'll use bushes I don't care about (holly, sweet-olive) until I see if it works. My hydrangeas are running low!

Thanks! You're always very helpful. :cool:
:cool: No problem, I'm always happy to help! Hope it works out!

Untitled_zps3785d27b.png

Your issue here is you have 16 trees/bushes growing within a 7x7 area. So one will always die. You might want to try chopping a tree down.

15 in box.png

Your issue here is you have 16 trees/bushes growing within a 7x7 area. So one will always die. You might want to try chopping a tree down.

View attachment 60173
I used to swear by this rule too until I visited a dream town once that had a HUGE forest of trees, clearly larger than 7x7, all planted in a gridlock fashion one space apart from each other, without a single spot missing a tree. The owner said they were able to bypass the "no more than 15 trees in a 7x7 area" thing by simply planting them one row at a time.

I'll test this right now in my second town, since I'm sure I won't be able to find that person's thread or dream address again lol.

But since we are dealing with bushes here -- in which proper sequencing isn't as clear as it is with trees in exact rows -- if what I suggested doesn't work, cutting down a tree is a good suggestion as well (and way simpler than replanting the bushes one by one, haha).

Late edit because I forgot about this lol, but confirmed: 16 trees in a 7x7 area

u6eGT0w.jpg

(The left column was already there, I just added to it because there wasn't much space elsewhere)

Last edited:
more of a community related question, but since I don't feel like making a new thread just for it

does anyone know the average market selling value in in-game bells/TBT for rare wall/floors?

as in stuff like Saharah, island, event, etc wall/floors that are unorderable

Last edited:
more of a community related question, but since I don't feel like making a new thread just for it

does anyone know the average market selling value in in-game bells/TBT for rare wall/floors?

as in stuff like Saharah, island, event, etc wall/floors that are unorderable
Saharah, I'd maybe say 10-20 TBT per item.

Unorderables vary. I sell most island items at 10 each, but I use conversion rates to determine my price.

If you send a villager an item in the mail, will they display it in their house? :)

Maybe. I don't say yes because they could put it up on Re-Tail. I won't say no because I know people try this and I'm pretty sure it works.

If you send a villager an item in the mail, will they display it in their house? :)

Maybe, maybe not. If it's furniture or other decorative items there's a chance they will. If it's clothes, they may display it or wear it.

If not, they'll put it up in Re-Tail (you can prevent that by switching up all the items in Re-Tail for fruit priced at 999,999 so nobody will buy or sell anything) or keep it to themselves. I've had villagers regift me stuff I'd given them because they weren't displaying it.

Thanks for the info about 7x7 grids above. It wouldn't hurt me to cut out a tree or two. I'm not even sure what I'm going for, so the area with trees could end up with a jungle gym or hammock instead of trees.

Here?s my scenario: if I went to a friends town and asked Villager A to move in, but when I got back to my town I realized another Villager B that I like is in my Campsite, can I still ask Villager B to move in? Will it affect Villager A? Please help me!

Here’s my scenario: if I went to a friends town and asked Villager A to move in, but when I got back to my town I realized another Villager B that I like is in my Campsite, can I still ask Villager B to move in? Will it affect Villager A? Please help me!

If you ask Villager B to move in Villager A will not move in, but B will move in regularly.

Back