• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Is there a limit to how many perfect fruit trees you can have in your town? I have three saplings that won't grow and I've been trying to figure out why for months.

I asked the same question a few months ago and apparently there's no limit. A few reasons why tree won't grow as far as I'm aware is: 1) You can only plant a line of trees/bushes in 12-13, any more than that then the next one will die. 2) You planted it too near to a building or river. 3) There's a dead spot in your town and nothing will grow in that spot.

I'm not sure if #3 is true or if there are more reasons that I forgot to include. Maybe you can provide more details?

I asked the same question a few months ago and apparently there's no limit. A few reasons why tree won't grow as far as I'm aware is: 1) You can only plant a line of trees/bushes in 12-13, any more than that then the next one will die. 2) You planted it too near to a building or river. 3) There's a dead spot in your town and nothing will grow in that spot.

I'm not sure if #3 is true or if there are more reasons that I forgot to include. Maybe you can provide more details?
Imgur won't load for me to upload pics, but I'll try my best to explain:

I have a row of 5 perfect apple trees, each with one space in between the next.
Next I have a row of 6 perfect apple trees.
Below that is another row of 5 perfect apple trees identical to the first.

One day Tutu moved in and destroyed part of the orchard. After she left, I planted a perfect apple in each spot where a tree had been destroyed. All grew back except for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th sapling in the second row.

If I plant them all at once, they all die. If I plant the 3rd sapling only, it dies. I am not sure what happens if I only plant the 4th or 5th sapling.

I made a thread a while ago and someone told me that trees cannot grow surrounded by other trees. I originally planted the trees row by row from the 1st to 3rd so I am wondering if I have to cut down my third row in order to plant the rest of the second row, and then re-plant my 3rd row... but then, what happens when one of my trees dies? Will I have to do it all over again?

Hm...

Imgur won't load for me to upload pics, but I'll try my best to explain:

I have a row of 5 perfect apple trees, each with one space in between the next.
Next I have a row of 6 perfect apple trees.
Below that is another row of 5 perfect apple trees identical to the first.

One day Tutu moved in and destroyed part of the orchard. After she left, I planted a perfect apple in each spot where a tree had been destroyed. All grew back except for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th sapling in the second row.

If I plant them all at once, they all die. If I plant the 3rd sapling only, it dies. I am not sure what happens if I only plant the 4th or 5th sapling.

I made a thread a while ago and someone told me that trees cannot grow surrounded by other trees. I originally planted the trees row by row from the 1st to 3rd so I am wondering if I have to cut down my third row in order to plant the rest of the second row, and then re-plant my 3rd row... but then, what happens when one of my trees dies? Will I have to do it all over again?

Hm...

This is correct! Your trees are smothered! See these explanations:

http://animal-xing-3ds.livejournal.com/126262.html
http://animal-xing-3ds.livejournal.com/126850.html

Question about the Not-Letting-Any-Villager-Leave-While-Your-Gone trick. So I'm going on vacation and today I just talked to Paula after she pinged me to leave my town and I let her stay. Do I have to save right after I talk to her for the trick to work or does it just have to be on that day (or just a few minutes later?)?

@Faery: Yeah that might be why. If a tree is planted in an area surrounded by trees, it won't get enough light to grow. Try chopping down/wilt the third row first and then plant the second row of trees.

Question about the Not-Letting-Any-Villager-Leave-While-Your-Gone trick. So I'm going on vacation and today I just talked to Paula after she pinged me to leave my town and I let her stay. Do I have to save right after I talk to her for the trick to work or does it just have to be on that day (or just a few minutes later?)?

iirc should be on that day. Just make sure to save and not let a day pass after rejecting the request and before saving.

Just a quick question; I was able to convince Merengue to move into my town from a friend a few hours ago. If I have people coming into my town to do a few trades, will that affect Merengue's move in any way? Like she'll go to someone else's town or something? I spent a lot of bells and items to get her as she's one of my dreamies so i don't want to lose her. ;__;

Last edited:
Just a quick question; I was able to convince Merengue to move into my town from a friend a few hours ago. If I have people coming into my town to do a few trades, will that affect Merengue's move in any way? Like she'll go to someone else's town or something? I spent a lot of bells and items to get her as she's one of my dreamies so i don't want to lose her. ;__;

She won't go to someone else's town, but if someone who visited you has a villager in their void, that villager may move in instead of Merengue. Just to be safe, time travel to the next day so Merengue's plot would be there. If she has put her plot to your town, then she'll definitely move in to your town in a few days.

She won't go to someone else's town, but if someone who visited you has a villager in their void, that villager may move in instead of Merengue. Just to be safe, time travel to the next day so Merengue's plot would be there. If she has put her plot to your town, then she'll definitely move in to your town in a few days.

Ah shoot, I totally forgot about this dilemma and did an item trade right after my villager trade. I hope she's still there! ;___;

I was hoping to be able to manipulate where she her plot was going to be, but I don't want to risk not having her. Thanks for letting me know!

I don't suppose any villagers will still tell me what they want for Toy Day today, will they? Is it too late?

I've got two villagers with the same clue (a red gift), and one who never told me a darn thing.

The only rumor talk that matters is when they say things like "rumors can be so vicious" or "It's been rumored that I'm a prince from outer space." If one person says something like that, it gurantees that none of the other animals are moving, though they still could be. If two people say something like that, nobody is moving. If one person talks about those kind of rumors, you can then save and quit and restart and walk in front of that person and see if they ping. If they don't, you're okay.

Too add to that, the one who has said "I'm a Prince" or "Rumors are bad" could be the one moving. I usually ask 3 different people c:

Why are the pictures I take of my Animal Crossing game such bad quality? :( There's always a lot of pixellation and I don't know why. How does everyone get such high quality pictures of their game? Are they not using the snapshot feature of their 3DS, or am I doing something wrong?

I don't suppose any villagers will still tell me what they want for Toy Day today, will they? Is it too late?

I've got two villagers with the same clue (a red gift), and one who never told me a darn thing.
I think they can still tell you hints until 6pm, but I'm not sure. What you can do is restart your game if you give one of them the wrong present.

Why are the pictures I take of my Animal Crossing game such bad quality? :( There's always a lot of pixellation and I don't know why. How does everyone get such high quality pictures of their game? Are they not using the snapshot feature of their 3DS, or am I doing something wrong?

I think they can still tell you hints until 6pm, but I'm not sure. What you can do is restart your game if you give one of them the wrong present.

They're probably using the Miiverse method. I don't quite understand as I don't use it, but I'm sure you can easily find info on it now you know what it is. c:

To take pictures with miiverse you need to click the home button when you want to take a screenshot, enter miiverse and then attach a screenshot to your post. You can delete the post after you've saved your pic. I hope that wasn't confusing, I suck at explanations. :p

Is a villager I talk to less than the others in my town less likely to leave? Hans has never asked, but my favorites seem to ping all the time.

To take pictures with miiverse you need to click the home button when you want to take a screenshot, enter miiverse and then attach a screenshot to your post. You can delete the post after you've saved your pic. I hope that wasn't confusing, I suck at explanations. :p

Is a villager I talk to less than the others in my town less likely to leave? Hans has never asked, but my favorites seem to ping all the time.
Some people believe the higher your friendship level is with a villager, the more often they will ask to leave. This is because the game wants to cycle in new villagers for you to befriend once you have reached the maximum friendship level with one of them :) Others believe it is purely random, but I have definitely noticed concrete patterns with my villagers. Also, thank you for the explanation! I'm not really sure what Miiverse is and I've never used it before but I'll give it a look.

Last edited:
Back