• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

What's up with this "voiding villagers" thing? What does that mean?

A voided villager is a villager that has moved out but wasn't adopted by anyone. Thus, they end up in a "void," still part of the game's data but not in any other town. There can be multiple villagers in the void. However, villagers in the void have the ability to move to other towns either through StreetPass or by just playing on multiplayer with anyone else (either by visiting or by hosting) even though they were never invited directly. The idea is that if you have voided villagers, by StreetPassing/visiting/hosting someone, that someone can either have a random move-in, or if that someone has 10 villagers, nothing will happen, but either way, the void will be "cleared" in that moment, and any villagers that don't make it will be gone for good and unable to move into another town in any way.

You usually hear the term when you see people complaining about unwanted villagers moving in either through the aforementioned StreetPass/multiplayer. Otherwise, it's just a term that people (mostly cyclers) use to say that said villager gone. Or that said villager isn't very popular, so when they are ready to move, cyclers usually just void them without making a huge announcement.

Last edited:
A voided villager is a villager that has moved out but wasn't adopted by anyone. Thus, they end up in a "void," still part of the game's data but not in any other town. There can be multiple villagers in the void. However, villagers in the void have the ability to move to other towns either through StreetPass or by just playing on multiplayer with anyone else (either by visiting or by hosting) even though they were never invited directly. The idea is that if you have voided villagers, by StreetPassing/visiting/hosting someone, that someone can either have a random move-in, or if that someone has 10 villagers, nothing will happen, but either way, the void will be "cleared" in that moment, and any villagers that don't make it will be gone for good and unable to move into another town in any way.

You usually hear the term when you see people complaining about unwanted villagers moving in either through the aforementioned StreetPass/multiplayer. Otherwise, it's just a term that people (mostly cyclers) use to say that said villager gone.

This is how I got Axel, who I don't want ~_~

Each has an invisible square one space all around it, and the invisible squares can't overlap. So, two spaces between them.

When I check the island on all three of my towns, they all have the same tours that day. Is that governed by birthday (all three towns share a lucky item of the day because of birthday) or does everyone have the same games? The active ones for me right now include hide-and-seek and item matching, and my birth month is June.

Thanks. That's interesting and a little weird. I thought they were random because of Club Tortimer being different, but then I saw that they were the same in my other towns. And now I know they are the same for everybody! From the link, I also know that I could go back a couple of days to get to the Elite Scavenger that I really was counting on, but I'll just wait until it comes up again.

Thanks. That's interesting and a little weird. I thought they were random because of Club Tortimer being different, but then I saw that they were the same in my other towns. And now I know they are the same for everybody! From the link, I also know that I could go back a couple of days to get to the Elite Scavenger that I really was counting on, but I'll just wait until it comes up again.
NP! I refer to that thread a lot so glad to spread it around. And actually Club Tortimer tours are still set by date, it's just if the person who got there first is on a different day (whether bc they're in a different time zone or they're TTing), it'll have the tours for that day.

If I load up with a new character to check if anyone has moved or is moving, will I be able to see if someone is in boxes? Or will they be walking around like normal to greet the new character?

If they're moving, they'll be in boxes. It's not like you can do anything at that point, though.

I'm talking about the trick where I load up a new character to check the town, and then turn it off without saving. If I can see that someone's in boxes I can go back to the last day I played and save them.

If someone is completely gone it's obvious, but I was just worried that I wouldn't be able to tell if someone is in boxes or not with this trick.

I'm talking about the trick where I load up a new character to check the town, and then turn it off without saving. If I can see that someone's in boxes I can go back to the last day I played and save them.

If someone is completely gone it's obvious, but I was just worried that I wouldn't be able to tell if someone is in boxes or not with this trick.

No you can't because if you tt backwards at all, your town progresses one day.

No you can't because if you tt backwards at all, your town progresses one day.

I'm not talking about TTing back after loading my mayor or a permanent character (T-T).
It seems like you are not familiar with the trick I'm talking about so hopefully someone who is will be able to answer my question. Thank you though. :)

Last edited:
Why is it I can change eye colour on one character at Shampoodle, but not another?

You have to go through the same process to get color contacts on every character as you did when your mayor unlocked the lenses for the frist time. Just because you unlocked the contacts on one character doesn't mean that all characters also have it unlocked. If I recall correctly, you have to get at least one haircut and then wait a week or two.

I'm not talking about TTing back after loading my mayor or a permanent character (T-T).
It seems like you are not familiar with the trick I'm talking about so hopefully someone who is will be able to answer my question. Thank you though. :)

Yes I'm completely familiar with what you are talking about. You load up your game with a new character. You see your villager in boxes. Turn off the game and try to change the date back to talk them out. When you turn it on, I promise you their house won't be there. That's because when you turned the date back, your town progressed one day. The trick is for controlling where your new villager puts their house.
Check the Villager Trading Plaza. Look for a thread that talks about a tting accident put a villager into boxes. Those threads exist because the person can't save the villager at that point.

Yes I'm completely familiar with what you are talking about. You load up your game with a new character. You see your villager in boxes. Turn off the game and try to change the date back to talk them out. When you turn it on, I promise you their house won't be there. That's because when you turned the date back, your town progressed one day. The trick is for controlling where your new villager puts their house.
Check the Villager Trading Plaza. Look for a thread that talks about a tting accident put a villager into boxes. Those threads exist because the person can't save the villager at that point.

I don't need to read up on it because I have done it before.
I loaded my game with a new character. Saw that Willow's house was gone. Turned off the game. Changed the 3DS system time back to the last day I played. Willow was there. Walked up to her and she pinged. Told her not to move. TTd back to current day. She was there.

I thought this was common knowledge. The second post on this recent thread even talks about it: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?197181-Taking-breaks-from-ACNL

But I can't find any info about villagers in boxes.

You have to go through the same process to get color contacts on every character as you did when your mayor unlocked the lenses for the frist time. Just because you unlocked the contacts on one character doesn't mean that all characters also have it unlocked. If I recall correctly, you have to get at least one haircut and then wait a week or two.

Oh! Okay. I have it on my mayor and one of my side characters. Guess I just ogtta wait a little longer for the mother character. Thanks!

Back