• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

If I load up with a new character to check if anyone has moved or is moving, will I be able to see if someone is in boxes? Or will they be walking around like normal to greet the new character?

They will be inside in boxes. That's why if you're going on as a new character to make sure you're not losing anybody, you need to include a check inside houses.

I've done this when I wasn't sure about someone's moving date. I went to the day in question with a new character and saw them in boxes.

Last edited:
They will be inside in boxes. That's why if you're going on as a new character to make sure you're not losing anybody, you need to include a check inside houses.

I've done this when I wasn't sure about someone's moving date. I went to the day in question with a new character and saw them in boxes.

Thank you! I've taken a few days break and I'll go check right now.

Two questions; the first is important because I'd like to leave the island. XD

1: If I leave a bunch of bananas on the island and leave (solo trip), will they be there the next time I come back or will they disappear?

2: Is there a guide about voids, how cycling villagers works, and dream villagers? I keep seeing all these things (as well as buying/auctioning/giving away villagers), but I have no clue how it works and would like to learn how.

Please and thank you!

Two questions; the first is important because I'd like to leave the island. XD

1: If I leave a bunch of bananas on the island and leave (solo trip), will they be there the next time I come back or will they disappear?

2: Is there a guide about voids, how cycling villagers works, and dream villagers? I keep seeing all these things (as well as buying/auctioning/giving away villagers), but I have no clue how it works and would like to learn how.

Please and thank you!

1. You're on your own personal island and not Club Tortimer, correct? If so, anything you leave on your island will remain the way it is until you return.

2. Here's some stuff about the void, a safe method for cycling if you don't want to lose certain villagers in your town, and a villager exchanging guide. I'm not entirely sure what guides you want for dream villagers since dream villagers are just what villagers you want in your town, and that's completely up to you, but if you had something specific in mind and can clarify, I can help point you in the right direction. Both cycling and villager exchanging are also pretty broad topics as well, so this is just to get you started (and I wanted to reply quickly so that you can get off your island, haha). If you have any more specific questions about voids, cycling, and dream villagers, feel free to ask away!

Last edited:
What is the thing that keeps people from moving when you first start a town, even if you jump years into the future? Is it paying off your first home loan that triggers the ability for people to move?

Will villagers ever try to buy unorderable items from you?

(I'm fairly certain mine have never asked me for unorderables, so I've always assumed they can't, but I haven't seen anyone talk about/confirm this)

I believe they can, they'll ask for anything in your pocket. I always get asked to sell my Gems/Jewels (whatever they are :p)

What exactly is the reason you can't start off with a smug or uchi villager?

That is just how the game is programmed. I honestly have no exact clue why Nintendo programmed it that way. You can't start off with octopi either FYI.

(Answering this because I don't think there's a better answer unless you work for Nintendo.)

Last edited:
That is just how the game is programmed. I honestly have no exact clue why Nintendo programmed it that way. You can't start off with octopi either FYI.

(Answering this because I don't think there's a better answer unless you work for Nintendo.)

Yeah that really stinks. It's really weird, but it's not like Nintendo hasn't done weird things before.

How big are resident and player character houses? I'm trying to mark off spaces in my town for future houses.
The villager houses are 3x3 + 1 space in front. The player save files are 3x5 + 1 space in front of the door.

On a note related to the house question, how big are houses (outside) once you've finished upgrading them? Is the maximum size just 3x5 or does it get bigger, and is the x5 part horizontally or vertically? Thanks!

On a note related to the house question, how big are houses (outside) once you've finished upgrading them? Is the maximum size just 3x5 or does it get bigger, and is the x5 part horizontally or vertically? Thanks!

The maximum size is just that. Tom Nook mentions that when you first build the house, he wants to make the plot so that it can accommodate future expansions of the house, so you don't have to worry about it getting larger. The house is 5 tiles wide (horizontally).

Last edited:
The maximum size is just that. Tom Nook mentions that when you first build the house, he wants to make the plot so that it can accommodate future expansions of the house, so you don't have to worry about it getting larger. The house is 5 tiles wide (horizontally).

So it's already included in my house size? I'm asking because I have lots of stuff planted near my home and I need to know if I should move it elsewhere while the house gets upgraded or what :confused:

So it's already included in my house size? I'm asking because I have lots of stuff planted near my home and I need to know if I should move it elsewhere while the house gets upgraded or what :confused:

Yep, it's already included! Basically, the house itself gets expanded, but the fence around it doesn't have to; it fenced in a large enough area so that it can accommodate all upgrades. The actual area that the entire thing covers never changes.

It's made that way so that you can't build your house in an area that makes it impossible to expand in, so you don't have to worry about a thing.

Last edited:
Okay, I've been playing for exactly a year yesterday, and I just saw something I've never seen before. I went into Deirdre's house and talked to her, and she said something about wanting to be a fortune teller. She then went into thinking mode. It was actually pretty cute to see her walking around like that. But, I've never seen that ever. Keep in mind that this was the first time I talked to her today, so it wasn't from talking to her too much. Has anyone seen this?

Back