• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask Delphine what the meaning of life is

Do you like dolphins? Bad joke. D:

Haha :p Yeah I do like dolphins. When I was a kid, everyone kept giving me dolphins goodies... And one of my dreams is to one day swim with dolphins *o*

Thank you for the question!

Talking about poems in my ask topic got me wondering:

What are some of your favorite poets? How about favorite poems? If any favorite poems are French, have you seen their translation, and what did you feel was lost or gained in form or content? Should translators of poems focus more on content or form, or should 'balance' be preferred (i.e., 'equal' sacrifice)?

Talking about poems in my ask topic got me wondering:

What are some of your favorite poets?

Don't mind quoting Arthur Rimbaud and Charles Baudelaire for French poets, and Poe and Burton for English/American poets.

How about favorite poems?

Burton's 'Stain Boy', Rimbaud's 'Le Dormeur du Val' and 'Aube'... Don't really have any favorite poems. There is one tirade from 'Cyrano de Bergerac' (the play) which I love and know by heart, 'La Tirade du Nez'.

If any favorite poems are French, have you seen their translation, and what did you feel was lost or gained in form or content? Should translators of poems focus more on content or form, or should 'balance' be preferred (i.e., 'equal' sacrifice)?

I've never read any French poems translated in English, that's something I should definitely experience. Poe's poems were translated by Charles Baudelaire so obviously, they're really good in French (different from the original version but sill good, you know?), and I like them a lot. I also read Burton's poems in French, and it was just weird because the translator tried too much to make it all rhyme. It was ridiculous.

To me, translators should not just translate everything litterally, like Quebecois do (and it's ugly), but focus more on the feeling of the poem, its atmosphere. So I would say content over form, but still with a certain sense of rythm - what is poetry without rythm? It's not an easy task to translate, but a very interesting one.

Thank you for the question!

Don't mind quoting Arthur Rimbaud and Charles Baudelaire for French poets, and Poe and Burton for English/American poets.

Burton's 'Stain Boy', Rimbaud's 'Le Dormeur du Val' and 'Aube'... Don't really have any favorite poems. There is one tirade from 'Cyrano de Bergerac' (the play) which I love and know by heart, 'La Tirade du Nez'.
I must sound so uncultured: I am actually unfamiliar with Burton, unless you mean Tim Burton, heh.

However, I did find the poems of Rimbaud without issue. I read an English translation of 'Aube,' which I assume means 'Dawn,' or so the translator Moineau says.

I cannot imagine how much more beautiful 'Aube' could be in its original language. I fell in love with the heavy imagery; even lines 2-5 would have been enough to leave me in a sense of reverie:

Nothing yet moved in the palace fa?ades. The water had died. The camps of shadow did not leave the wooden path. I have walked, awakening warm and lively breaths, and the gemstones watched, and wings rose up without a sound.
In fact, in going back between descriptions of nature and of the 'urban environment,' the author for some reason reminds me of the German novelist Theodore Fontane, especially his Irretrievable about an upper class couple who slowly lose their love for each other, and cannot get it back even though they are painfully close and yet hopelessly far near the end to doing just that.

I will definitely have to set aside time to check out more of the poems of the authors you mention, and if 'Dawn' is anything to go by I will end up buying their collected poems in book format.

Relatedly, I do not know if I have ever been struck this much by a translated poem as I was by a passage from Lao Tzu's Te Tao Ching (I consider the whole book a poem). In a topic at my forum titled 'Has an alternative translation for a book amazed you?,' I discussed how the 'definitive' translation by scholar Robert G. Henricks did not strike me in quite the same way as a much more 'amateurish' translation from a source I cannot recall. The latter translation helped me better understand the work, and encouraged me to read Henricks' more scholarly translation later. Here are the two translations, starting with the 'amateurish' one:

Under heaven nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for attacking the solid and strong, nothing is better;
It has no equal.
The weak can overcome the strong;
The supple can overcome the stiff.
Under heaven everyone knows this,
Yet no one puts it into practice.
Therefore the sage says:
He who takes upon himself the humiliation of the people
is fit to rule them.
He who takes upon himself the country's disasters deserves
to be king of the universe.
The truth often seems paradoxical.
In the whole world, nothing is softer and weaker than water.
And yet for attacking the hard and strong, nothing can beat it,
Because there is nothing you can use to replace it.
That water can defeat the unyielding—
That the weak can defeat the strong—
There is no one in the whole world who doesn't know it,
And yet there is no one who can put it into practice.
For this reason, the words of the Sage say:
To take on yourself the disgrace of the state—this is called being the lord of the altars of earth and grain;
To assume responsibility for all ill-omened events in the state—
this is called being the king of the world.
Correct words seem to say the reverse of what you expect them to say.
The second strikes me as more impressive how it was put together from a technical standpoint, but in terms of emotional impact the first stuck out more to me. It is amazing how alternate translations can bring something different to the table, and how one is not necessarily so inferior from the other that you should only read a 'definitive' version.

I also read Burton's poems in French, and it was just weird because the translator tried too much to make it all rhyme. It was ridiculous.
Yeah, there are many ways to maintain a sense of rhythm without relying on an AA,BB,AB,AB or whatever 'end rhyme' scheme. I believe the last time I saw writers take rhyming to that extreme was in the French game Child of Light. I suppose it might have been easier to maintain the rhyme scheme without harming the content if it were in French, but English is less flexible when it comes to rhyme because there are fewer options, if memory serves.

One of my English instructors regularly translates French poems, and he is of the opinion that form is clearly more important than content in the translation. I cannot remember the reasoning, but the idea struck me, and it is why I asked the question about translation here.

Last edited:
I must sound so uncultured: I am actually unfamiliar with Burton, unless you mean Tim Burton, heh.

Yeah sorry, I did mean Tim Burton but thought just saying Burton was enough, haha! Forgot it's probably a common name. Sorry about that.

However, I did find the poems of Rimbaud without issue. I read an English translation of 'Aube,' which I assume means 'Dawn,' or so the translator Moineau says.

I cannot imagine how much more beautiful 'Aube' could be in its original language. I fell in love with the heavy imagery; even lines 2-5 would have been enough to leave me in a sense of reverie:

In fact, in going back between descriptions of nature and of the 'urban environment,' the author for some reason reminds me of the German novelist Theodore Fontane, especially his Irretrievable about an upper class couple who slowly lose their love for each other, and cannot get it back even though they are painfully close and yet hopelessly far near the end to doing just that.

I will definitely have to set aside time to check out more of the poems of the authors you mention, and if 'Dawn' is anything to go by I will end up buying their collected poems in book format.

Yup, Aube mean Dawn, I should have put that down. I'm so glad you like this poem as much as I do, and I'm happy I was able to make you discover Rimbaud! He was such a genius. I know his life by heart. He used to keep running away from his mother's house, and as he wandered in the streets of Paris with the few belongings he took before he left, he wrote poems and fantasized about his muse... He wrote most of his poems before he was 18. Can you imagine that? So much talent! But he gave up on writing when he was twenty. No one understood why. But he wrote a lot, and he wrote well. He sure left us a great legacy.

He had an affair with Verlaine (who was married and had a daughter at the time, but still fell in love with Rimbaud), it ended up tragically with Verlaine shooting Rimbaud (who survived though but died in his early 30s of disease). Verlaine called him 'l'homme aux semelles de vent', 'the man with windy soles'. I don't know if the translation sounds as good as the original, though...

Relatedly, I do not know if I have ever been struck this much by a translated poem as I was by a passage from Lao Tzu's Te Tao Ching (I consider the whole book a poem). In a topic at my forum titled 'Has an alternative translation for a book amazed you?,' I discussed how the 'definitive' translation by scholar Robert G. Henricks did not strike me in quite the same way as a much more 'amateurish' translation from a source I cannot recall. The latter translation helped me better understand the work, and encouraged me to read Henricks' more scholarly translation later. Here are the two translations, starting with the 'amateurish' one

The second strikes me as more impressive how it was put together from a technical standpoint, but in terms of emotional impact the first stuck out more to me. It is amazing how alternate translations can bring something different to the table, and how one is not necessarily so inferior from the other that you should only read a 'definitive' version.

I felt the exact same way as you did when I read the two versions, and well, you already said everything, and I wouldn't have said it better, hehe.
'He who takes upon himself the country's disasters deserves
to be king of the universe
.'
Oh, it is so beautiful... Thank you for making me discover this poem!

Yeah, there are many ways to maintain a sense of rhythm without relying on an AA,BB,AB,AB or whatever 'end rhyme' scheme. I believe the last time I saw writers take rhyming to that extreme was in the French game Child of Light. I suppose it might have been easier to maintain the rhyme scheme without harming the content if it were in French, but English is less flexible when it comes to rhyme because there are fewer options, if memory serves.

One of my English instructors regularly translates French poems, and he is of the opinion that form is clearly more important than content in the translation. I cannot remember the reasoning, but the idea struck me, and it is why I asked the question about translation here.

Translation can be tricky. I don't really agree with your teacher but, I can't really give any more arguments to defend my point of view... sorry, frustrating not being able to talk about poetry because the words just won't come to your mind. But I certainly share your interest in translation.

One of my favorite books, if not my favorite, 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick deWitt, was very well translated in French. I first read it in my language, and then bought the book. It wasn't too different, but different enough for me to sometimes read the English version and right after the French, or just rotate between the two books, just because I liked how a reply sounded better in one language. I love this novel because it contains everything I love about stories. It entertains the reader with lots of action and epicness, makes him laugh with hilarious scenes of black humor, and at the same time, as it amuses you, it invites you to take the time to think deeply about the consequences of our actions, how relationships can be troublesome in a family. See? Entertainment. Laughter. Thinking. Any story who misses one of these three rules can not be good for me. I warmly recommend this novel, it's the only one I ever read over and over in the same day (and for months, haha).

Thank you for the discussion about poetry, and thank you for illuminating my mind with new knowledge :)

Omg I just got back from soccer practice my feet are DYING

Take a warm bath, it'll make you feel better!

Yeah sorry, I did mean Tim Burton but thought just saying Burton was enough, haha! Forgot it's probably a common name. Sorry about that.
Oh, it is; I quite like his movies, actually. But I think of him as a director, and was unaware of his poetry. I just learned something.

Yup, Aube mean Dawn, I should have put that down.
Oh, quite alright: I enjoyed looking it up.

I'm so glad you like this poem as much as I do, and I'm happy I was able to make you discover Rimbaud! He was such a genius. I know his life by heart. He used to keep running away from his mother's house, and as he wandered in the streets of Paris with the few belongings he took before he left, he wrote poems and fantasized about his muse... He wrote most of his poems before he was 18. Can you imagine that? So much talent! But he gave up on writing when he was twenty. No one understood why. But he wrote a lot, and he wrote well. He sure left us a great legacy.
That is amazing. I have heard of similar stories, such as one writer who also struck out on his own, but only in his late years did he suddenly start pouring out stories like his hand was possessed.

But now I might have to also buy a book about Rimbaud's life!

He had an affair with Verlaine (who was married and had a daughter at the time, but still fell in love with Rimbaud), it ended up tragically with Verlaine shooting Rimbaud (who survived though but died in his early 30s of disease). Verlaine called him 'l'homme aux semelles de vent', 'the man with windy soles'. I don't know if the translation sounds as good as the original, though...
Oh, my.

And there is poetry in the translation you gave.

One of my favorite books, if not my favorite, 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick deWitt, was very well translated in French. I first read it in my language, and then bought the book. It wasn't too different, but different enough for me to sometimes read the English version and right after the French, or just rotate between the two books, just because I liked how a reply sounded better in one language. I love this novel because it contains everything I love about stories. It entertains the reader with lots of action and epicness, makes him laugh with hilarious scenes of black humor, and at the same time, as it amuses you, it invites you to take the time to think deeply about the consequences of our actions, how relationships can be troublesome in a family. See? Entertainment. Laughter. Thinking. Any story who misses one of these three rules can not be good for me. I warmly recommend this novel, it's the only one I ever read over and over in the same day (and for months, haha).
Since it comes warmly recommended by you, I will have to read it soon.

Thank you for the discussion about poetry, and thank you for illuminating my mind with new knowledge :)
Likewise.

Take a warm bath, it'll make you feel better!
Definitely.

Bump with the first episode from a French web series, The Visitor From the Future!

Back