Bowie's Art Thread V2 ★ Digital Paintings, GFX, 3D Renders, Tutorials

If I remember correctly, somebody who worked on the 3D models of Portal/Portal 2 said that they started doing 3D artwork because they were rubbish at drawing, but I heard from someone else quite recently that in order to be a good 3D artist, it helps to have a good understanding of 2D artist, I suppose for actual modelling purposes. Although I've done well without having any experience in 2D art, I have become increasingly interested in that side of art, and I'm seriously considering learning how to draw. I'm watching a lot of time-lapse videos and I'm hoping that I can improve on my drawing and perhaps incorporate it into the novel I mentioned I was writing a while ago. Just food for thought. One more skill can't hurt, right? Musician, 3D artist, writer, 2D artist!

If I remember correctly, somebody who worked on the 3D models of Portal/Portal 2 said that they started doing 3D artwork because they were rubbish at drawing, but I heard from someone else quite recently that in order to be a good 3D artist, it helps to have a good understanding of 2D artist, I suppose for actual modelling purposes. Although I've done well without having any experience in 2D art, I have become increasingly interested in that side of art, and I'm seriously considering learning how to draw. I'm watching a lot of time-lapse videos and I'm hoping that I can improve on my drawing and perhaps incorporate it into the novel I mentioned I was writing a while ago. Just food for thought. One more skill can't hurt, right? Musician, 3D artist, writer, 2D artist!

I would love to hear some of your music sometime! I am OK at drawing, less ok at digital art, and really horrible at 3D art, in school we took a digital art class and I mean I got good grades because I was better than most people but with the 3D stuff we had to like make a character from a Pixar movie or something and it was so horrible and tragic, I guess if you were zoomed out a mile it would have looked passable but seriously it was monstrous... but I didn't feel so bad because we only spent like two weeks on 3D and then moved on to other platforms. So I mean, for me my skills in drawing didn't help me with the 3D art..

I would love to hear some of your music sometime! I am OK at drawing, less ok at digital art, and really horrible at 3D art, in school we took a digital art class and I mean I got good grades because I was better than most people but with the 3D stuff we had to like make a character from a Pixar movie or something and it was so horrible and tragic, I guess if you were zoomed out a mile it would have looked passable but seriously it was monstrous... but I didn't feel so bad because we only spent like two weeks on 3D and then moved on to other platforms. So I mean, for me my skills in drawing didn't help me with the 3D art..

I see. Well, I'm still pretty skeptical. It's probably different for different people, though. I'm definitely better at 3D art than I am at 2D art, but modelling can still be hazardous at times, which is why I thought experience in 2D art may help, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks for sharing your story!

DYH5fqt.png

Decided to recycle my Toy Freddy model into Fredbear. Thoughts?

DYH5fqt.png

Okay, so yesterday I made this guy. Another modelling experiment of mine that I made using parts of my Toy Freddy model. The end result wasn't as good as I thought it would be as I was making it. Too much grain, the materials sucked. Nothing really special. So then I decided to give 2D art a try again, using this model as a reference, which is the complete opposite of what one would usually do.

0aTyOJeh.jpg

So, this was awful. I'm just showing you this to show you how it progressed.

nFBCtx5h.jpg

And this is the final result. I'm not sure if this is something I'm gonna try again at, but it's something. The important thing is what you guys think of it.

pNRD1iN.jpg

These ladies (for some reason I think they're female) are going to be used as references for my next drawing attempt. I may have to change the title of this thread if my fascination with 2D art continues.

I think 3D art can be more difficult than 2D art since you have to make sure the model looks good at every possible angle. 3d will also help you get a better idea of anatomy!

For 2D art, you can sort of ignore how awkward a pose might look from a different angle, since generally, you're going after "what looks cool from this specific angle".

For animated films, they'll have a sculpture artist make maquettes of the characters based on concept art. That's to make sure things can be modelled correctly, so that's sorta why I think 3D is a little more difficult, since you have to be able to wrap your head around how something looks at every angle, rather than just "that looks cool".

If that makes any sense? :x kinda just rambled a bit xD

of course, both require time and talent (which you clearly have - Fredbear is looking pretty sweet!)

I think 3D art can be more difficult than 2D art since you have to make sure the model looks good at every possible angle. 3d will also help you get a better idea of anatomy!

For 2D art, you can sort of ignore how awkward a pose might look from a different angle, since generally, you're going after "what looks cool from this specific angle".

For animated films, they'll have a sculpture artist make maquettes of the characters based on concept art. That's to make sure things can be modelled correctly, so that's sorta why I think 3D is a little more difficult, since you have to be able to wrap your head around how something looks at every angle, rather than just "that looks cool".

If that makes any sense? :x kinda just rambled a bit xD

of course, both require time and talent (which you clearly have - Fredbear is looking pretty sweet!)

Thank you for the kind words! I plan to experiment more with both mediums until I get something I like out of it.

7RJdTLsh.jpg

If I could just get the look right, I'd definitely try making a comic out of these.

I haven't gotten down to trying it with human meshes yet, though, 'cause the reference models I was trying to use were too low-poly and the results weren't as good and detailed. I think I'm gonna have to model a full human character and do it that way. But I'll keep trying.

Some critique from an art community has led me to discover that my method of 2D art is considered cheating, and though you can get help with references and things, my way is just not the right way to do art. I guess this means I'm gonna have to give up on it or try and improve in other ways. Really not sure now.

watQENz.png

3fN8EE5.png

Don't get your hopes up thinking this is the final result, because it's not. These are simply some new references I took from DesignDoll. If this particular experiment works out, I may survive.

"#prayforbowie ain't nothin' wrong with 'im his designs just look like baked potatoes."

Aha, but this is far better than I can ever put my head into, so props to that. :) I enjoy watching you improve from poor Princess Peach's exorcism to aesthetically pleasing nude-ish people doing poses from a boring scientific video I watched today. Good work, hope you keep progressing!

"#prayforbowie ain't nothin' wrong with 'im his designs just look like baked potatoes."

Aha, but this is far better than I can ever put my head into, so props to that. :) I enjoy watching you improve from poor Princess Peach's exorcism to aesthetically pleasing nude-ish people doing poses from a boring scientific video I watched today. Good work, hope you keep progressing!

Princess Peach never did get those arms fixed.

Okay, that was awful. I'm not even gonna bother showing you guys that.

I think I'm gonna have to learn how to draw properly. I was hoping I'd be able to combine 2D art with 3D art, but it seems like I'm just gonna have to use my knowledge of 360-degree angles to draw from scratch.

Love your stuff on this page, you should be doing monsters for some horror game imo :0

TljEhQB.png

Okay, now I'm trying out some different materials. Some of the materials DesignDoll has to offer I could only dream of replicating in Blender, but that's not the point here. Hopefully this will give me a better idea of how shading works, and will make my drawings look a little more lively, if that makes any sense.

Back