• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Celebrating Diversity: New Horizons Character Designing Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm, well. i didn't want to dress up (or redesign) my island rep. just so she "looked" like a (stereotypical) lesbian, so. this is all i've got.

2021062315052700-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

this is my island representative, claire, based on my OC of the same name who -- if you hadn't already guessed -- is a lesbian! (a demisexual one, if i'm more specific.) given that it's pride month, the "theme" i went with was a no-brainer, and i don't think i really need to explain how she celebrates diversity because she's making it kind of obvious.
shout out to all my fellow lesbians!

i created claire (and several other wlw characters) during a time where it felt like none of the media i consumed was representing me and, worse, sometimes actively even queerbaiting their wlw audiences or just straight up killing their wlw character(s) off. (all still issues today, albeit less prevalent.) unsurprisingly, she means a lot to me, and it's always fun writing about her and her love interest (lisa, my beloved) because they have a very frustrating (in a good way) super-slow-burn, oblivious mutual pining type of romance that you rarely see onscreen between (live-action) women even today. in a franchise that's supposed to be about being yourself, it was only natural that she became my player character, so now she's the island representative for a town full of LGBT+ villagers! looking at you especially, henry, you funky little gay frog 🐸

Be cute, if you want to be!
I'm very shy but I love to wear kawaii clothes and crazy hair colors, but I love a lot of "boyish" things as well, like haircuts for men. This character shows perfectly how the shy me is wearing what she wants, while having a not classic "girly" haircut. :giggle:

AljA1uD.jpg

in honour of it being pride month, i decided that today, i’d like to celebrate a part of the LGBTQ+ community that doesn’t get talked about much - those who are questioning. i’ve spent the last 4 years jumping from labelling myself as pansexual to lesbian to bisexual and back again, and have even done so on here, so today i’d like to affirm to both myself and anyone else here who may be questioning that it’s okay to not have a label. to me, diversity isn’t just for those who fall under specific categories; it’s for those who prefer to live without labels or who are still finding themselves, too. with this outfit, i’m embracing that i am a part of the Q in the LGBTQ+ community and that that’s okay. i also threw in some italian flag face paint, to represent my ethnicity. 💚

4794E49C-0DE0-4CCC-8396-16B88A02E494.jpeg

2B5C4360-61FA-4B7D-82E7-4EA2BDCCB9E7.jpeg

i know that i wrote way more than 1-3 sentences, but hopefully this’ll still count. >_<

Celebrating black/African Americans!
20210623_160552.jpg

Because juneteenth just passed, i decided to represent myself as African American. Because if you can't tell, I'm black. So i decided to dress in a tribal outfit to represent African tribes and put a black lifes matter sign to represent my race!
It would be nice if we had a conga drum Because that would be perfect for this

When I was a little girl I had a dream of being a pilot. Flying to lots of sunny exotic places 💭 I was met with shock and disbelief as “women can’t fly a plane“ I was encouraged to become an air hostess as that was a “suitable job for a girl” 😠 I have just checked statistics and according to ISWAP data Jan 2020 only 5.26% of pilots are women. A shocking low 1.42% become a Captain.

Surely in this day and age everyone should be able to be whatever they want to be?

Well for today please meet Dodo Airlines new Captain Roxxy 😊

3D852EA9-30DA-465F-A5E0-4A27578F8E26.jpeg

When I was a little girl I had a dream of being a pilot. Flying to lots of sunny exotic places 💭 I was met with shock and disbelief as “women can’t fly a plane“ I was encouraged to become an air hostess as that was a “suitable job for a girl” 😠 I have just checked statistics and according to ISWAP data Jan 2020 only 5.26% of pilots are women. A shocking low 1.42% become a Captain.

Surely in this day and age everyone should be able to be whatever they want to be?

View attachment 381632

The coincidence, I've worked as a pilot 😂 and I flew with lots of female colleagues let me tell you! 💛

View attachment 381632
Wow, in this day and age that percentage of woman who are pilots are surprisingly low. Woman can be whatever they want to be, especially pilots 💙

I’m still lost and confused about the nature of the event (even after questions were asked). Does our entry absolutely have to say something about ourselves, or can it just be something we support? Because if it’s the former I have no idea what I’m going to do for an entry, but if it’s the latter then I have a few ideas.

I’m still lost and confused about the nature of the event (even after questions were asked). Does our entry absolutely have to say something about ourselves, or can it just be something we support? Because if it’s the former I have no idea what I’m going to do for an entry, but if it’s the latter then I have a few ideas.

I think you are free to support/celebrate any group, culture, etc in the theme of diversity 😊

E4mEoOeVEAAgn_0.jpeg

Just threw this together, it's an outfit that I use sometimes, anyway. Simply put, this look is based off of the bi flag colors. I believe any lgbtqia+ representation is important for diversity. However, if more of a description is necessary (don't want to miss out on bells because of too few sentences!), there is a lot that can be said about the erasure and/or misconceptions about bisexual men. Happy pride

Thank you for such a lovely event!

2021071316343400-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

Here's my entry! I want to celebrate cultural and ethnical diversity.
In the background are the flags of the nationalities of my dear friends - I just had to include them and it was nice to think of all of them. My rep is wearing a shirt with my nationalities on them. I wanted to include lgbtq+ elements, since many of my friends and me included belong to this community.

(I chose purple as a base colour of my shirt because I'm still in Bellflower mode. 💜)

2021071316353100-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

"Design your character and go to a well-lit area"

Can this be in Harvey's studio? The examples show places on our islands.

I really like these submissions! It's inspiring to make me try even though I know I won't win anything. It might take me a few days or so trying to brainstorm then putting things together.

View attachment 381632
Whoever said that is so out of the loop. No matter who you are, if you're capable of doing such things, what's there to stop you? I hope that dream of yours is still there so you can prove them wrong! You can do it, Captain Roxxy. 💙

Thank you for such a lovely event!

View attachment 381649

Here's my entry! I want to celebrate cultural and ethnical diversity.
In the background are the flags of the nationalities of my dear friends - I just had to include them and it was nice to think of all of them. My rep is wearing a shirt with my nationalities on them. I wanted to include lgbtq+ elements, since many of my friends and me included belong to this community.

(I chose purple as a base colour of my shirt because I'm still in Bellflower mode. 💜)

It makes me happy to see a flag of The Philippines. 😊

7A04952F-643C-41C8-B091-06D62DCA2646.jpeg

I went with Pan Pride Pondo! Somewhat because my heritage is messy (and most of my family doesn’t know where we originate from at all), but also because pan gets confused with bi very often and I’m here to say that they’re very different. No offense to bisexuals, though! But I like our flag better. (And I’m attracted to literally every gender under the sun, moon, and stars.)

Proof (that it’s me) is in the Pondo pudding:
C66AE6F6-B71C-4EA1-B154-8267A3F513AA.jpeg

I just got my copy of New Horizons yesterday, so I don't have a lot to work with yet, but I tried my best! d(´•ω•๑)

Celebrating Diversity.jpg

The sweater is there to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community as a whole, with the black and brown stripes highlighting POC in the community, and the transgender flag on the sleeves to represent our trans siblings. My face paint shows the demisexual flag (left) and the nonbinary flag (right), which are two of my own identities that I wanted to express some pride for! Lastly, the green ribbon hat is to raise awareness for mental health—I struggle with anxiety and depression myself, so I wanted to show some support for anyone who's dealing with mental health issues.

Gay, Autistic, and Proud.

E4moMU5VgAQDp01

E4moMVFVoAQAFYB

Not only is this month Pride Month, but April was also Autism Awareness Month. Since I am "Gay, Autistic, and Proud", I thought I would share this amazing hoodie I got awhile back ago. Don't you ever feel afraid about who you are, you are perfect for being you already. 🌈🌈🌈

Thanks for this event, I am working on my entry now! As a Filipino, I would love to make a Babaylan-inspired outfit because of the role's very rich history in women empowerment and acceptance of cross-gender men.

edit: welp, I don't think I can do the intricate patterns justice and I don't wanna botch the outfit, so I'll just go with a different approach 😅

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back