• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Digital or Physical?

I've never really understood the 'being able to take it everywhere i go' point - I mean; even with a Physical copy you can still take it everywhere you go...
Like yeah I get that it's on the SD card but if you need to switch SD cards then its the exact same as switching a game cart;

Well, the idea is that it's a pain to carry around a bunch of game carts along with your 3DS. With your games on an SD card already in the system, that problem is eliminated. If you're switching SD cards... you're doing it wrong. Large SD cards aren't very expensive, you should just have everything on one card.

I've never really understood the 'being able to take it everywhere i go' point - I mean; even with a Physical copy you can still take it everywhere you go...
Like yeah I get that it's on the SD card but if you need to switch SD cards then its the exact same as switching a game cart;

Anyway I have the Digital version of Monster Hunter; it lags a little but not very often.

I still think physical copy is better; but I really don't like digital things..

Really by that I just mean that it would be on the 16 gb SD card that I never take out of my console hence would never forget when I go out If I've been swapping game carts. Would work for me seeing as I probably wont fill up the card for a looooong time. Then again I never take my 3DS anywhere and only have like 3 games anyway so it is kind of pointless haha. Different cases for different people I guess.

I'm getting physical beacuse here in the UK, it's cheaper. That's my deciding factor!
(Plus an extra ?5 refund if the game has not reached me by release date kinda sweetened the deal. ?32.89 or thereabout for game and free next day delivery to be shipped on the 12th, and an extra ?5 back if it's not here by 14th, bringing it to under ?30. Or ?39.99 in the eShop. Oh and it's hihgly likely I'll have it on the 13th, YAY!)

I'm personally getting a physical copy because for me, it really adds to the experience of getting a game. The boxart, gamecard, manual and, last but not least, making the trip to and back from the store all adds to the excitement.

Anyway I have the Digital version of Monster Hunter; it lags a little but not very often.

Monster Hunter is a resource heavy game compared to New Leaf, it will lag since the 3ds doesn't have the required stuff. Nintendo is making it better via updates.

Last edited:
Monster Hunter is a resource heavy game compared to New Leaf, it will lag since the 3ds doesn't have the required stuff. Nintendo is making it better via updates.
Yeah I figured that :)

Well, the idea is that it's a pain to carry around a bunch of game carts along with your 3DS. With your games on an SD card already in the system, that problem is eliminated. If you're switching SD cards... you're doing it wrong. Large SD cards aren't very expensive, you should just have everything on one card.

True, but who played more than like 4 games on a 3DS at a time o_O
idk I just think digital seems pointless..

I'm going physical, even if that involves getting the game a few days later. It will be worth it, considering that I broke my DS Lite four times and my 3DS might be on the way out sooner or later.

I'm going with a physical copy because I like being able to touch the game in reality!! I'm also thinking of getting an XL latter on! Uncomplicated, maybe? :lemon:

I'm thinking about getting an XL later on as well. For now though, I'm sticking with my 3DS but I think when I find my DSi, I'll trade it in for an XL.

I'm personally getting a physical copy because for me, it really adds to the experience of getting a game. The boxart, gamecard, manual and, last but not least, making the trip to and back from the store all adds to the excitement.

Exactly! It also brings back good memories of how I got Pok?mon SoulSilver and White on their release dates and how excited I was when I got Wild World for the first time in... 2009, I think?
And I've always loved looking at the manuals and having the box to be able to display in my DS/3DS & AC games collections. And, although it WOULD be nice to have both Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon AND Animal Crossing: New Leaf in my 3DS at the same time, I'd be paranoid that I would lose/break the SD card or that my save file would get corrupted. So definitely physical. :)

Although I'd assume it'd be pretty hard to do (without pumping it full of music), your SD card can and will slow when it's getting full. It's the same for any storage drive. That being said, a 16 gig card would MORE than suffice for the average 3DS owner's needs, even with a few 8k block titles. If you plan on buying giant games all the time, you could always get another SD card, but then it goes through the whole switching them out business.

If you're going to start going Digital with games, but yourself at least a 16 gig card now.

Id like to thank everyone for their replies. I have made the decision to go physical. I thought going digital would be nice to always have it in my system, however I would miss the feel of having a box and taking the game out.

Since I want to play the game as soon as possible im considering the possibility that I switch my pre-order to a GameStop order and pick it up on Sunday. I may just wait until my amazon order comes Wednesday.

Quick question:

Assuming that the only game I digitally download is AC:NL, and I have a 2GB SD card (the one that comes with the 3DS) ... will I have issues running the game? Will it lag and such?

Quick question:

Assuming that the only game I digitally download is AC:NL, and I have a 2GB SD card (the one that comes with the 3DS) ... will I have issues running the game? Will it lag and such?
It won't lag, but you'll run out of space before you know it.
The game will take up half the SD Card and then you will be very limited as to how many screenshots you can save. That's also not counting the extra save data and update data that comes in periodically.
ITs still better to bump up at least to a 4 or 6GB only IF ACNL is the only digital game you'll have, and that's including the 3DS apps as well.

It won't lag, but you'll run out of space before you know it.
The game will take up half the SD Card and then you will be very limited as to how many screenshots you can save. That's also not counting the extra save data and update data that comes in periodically.
ITs still better to bump up at least to a 4 or 6GB only IF ACNL is the only digital game you'll have, and that's including the 3DS apps as well.
...oh. >.>;

How many blocks do pictures take up? D:

Getting the digital is just so tempting! The reason I bought a 3DS XL in the first place was because of New Leaf, and I love the idea of always having the game on my 3DS whether I have the cartridge in it or not.

But I'm just so used to having cartridges, and I don't trust the digital version. There are many things that could go wrong with it. It would make me 10 times more scared my 3DS will break and I'll lose my game data. And I heard that it's a daunting task to transfer data to a new SD card if you ever wanted to update to a larger GB (mine is the 4GB). I just trust cartridges more.

And let's be honest, my 3DS will almost ALWAYS have the NL cartridge in there anyway, so it doesn't really matter. :p

Sure, it's nice to think of how if you get the digital, you'll be able to get the game ASAP at midnight, whereas you have to wait till morning to get the physical, but if you're a non-time traveler like myself, there most likely wouldn't be much for you to do at when you get the game at midnight, because after the tutorial or whatever, everyone would be sleeping and the stores would be closed.

Plus, I really love the excitement of rushing to the store first thing in the morning, buying the game, looking through the manual and waiting impatiently in the car to get home and play it. :D

You can back up SD card save data by simply making a copy on your computer though, right?

Back