• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Digital or Physical?

You can back up SD card save data by simply making a copy on your computer though, right?

Yes, but as soon as you play and save again, You have to back it up again. It has something to do with the current save on the SD Card (before you started playing) not matching up with the new save you make (once you save again)

Well yes of course that will happen if you download but its not that hard to put your SD card into your computer, recopy the files so they replace the old ones, and be done. I mean no one is going to do this every time they save. It would only be a every other day thing to prevent major loss.

You'd be surprised at how "tedious and boring" it is to some people who back up their digital games already. You don't know if someone will in fact do it each and ever time. There are some out there that can be terrified to lose even a minute of save or just have OCD and have to do it each time.
I plan on doing it on a weekly to bi weekly basis.

The hardcopy version will also save you "data" to the SD card... Im sure of it... I own Resident Evil on the 3DS and it saves my data to my SD card, not the cartridge.

So you should be able to backup your game regardless of it being Physical or Digital

Yeah I was just presenting it as a way of allaying people's fears that a digital copy is much more vulnerable to corrupt saves, and that there's no way around it.

I thought that was extra data it saved when it used a hard copy.. I've never seen my cartridge games actual save file on my SD Card when backing it up.

I thought that was extra data it saved when it used a hard copy.. I've never seen my cartridge games actual save file on my SD Card when backing it up.

It seems some games actually do save to the cartridge yet for 3DS. It just depends on what Nintendo decides to do for Animal Crossing.

Huh, you learn something new everyday. I personally don't own resident evil for the 3DS but I think it's odd that it saves to the 3DS instead of the cartridge. What if you're at a friends house and have to use their 3DS because you forgot yours? If it has your save on your 3DS, wouldn't that mean anytime you pop into an unfamiliar 3DS it has you start all over?

I would imagine AC:NL would save to the 3DS, because of the whole friends list thing. If it saved to the cartridge, then when you put it in another 3DS your friends list would change.

The physical version of ACNL saves the town and the progress (and perhaps the DLCs) in the game card. The digital one has to save it where the game is installed in your SD Card.
The data that is saved as Extra Data is nothing more than a gateway for SpotPass delivery to work.

For any UK people here. Shopto.net now have the game for ?26.82 and Amazon are at ?29.99 (as of 15th April at about 11am haha). You won't pay more than the price you preordered at, so anyone thinking about price/buget etc, you are not getting digital for anywhere near this price!

Also my preorder was ?32.86, now I'm only paying the ?26.82 as well, bargain for a new game!!

I'll be purchasing the game card. I don't really see the point of downloading the game onto the 3DS..

I'd rather have the physical version, because having the box is just so much better!
And the fun of putting the cartridge in the console, so exicting!
What's more, you feel more like having an item , having the game with you.
And the game cover is pretty cool too.

I like the idea of being able to place my NL case on the shelf next to the other 3 AC game cases.

Personally getting a physical copy would be my first choice but I don't mind either way honestly. I've had no problems with my FEA digital copy at all other than once losing some progress because my sd card got corrupted but yeah, it wasn't the game's fault so... 6 v 6

Personally getting a physical copy would be my first choice but I don't mind either way honestly. I've had no problems with my FEA digital copy at all other than once losing some progress because my sd card got corrupted but yeah, it wasn't the game's fault so... 6 v 6

How'd it get corrupted? o_O

How'd it get corrupted? o_O
I was transferring some music files to the sd card but thought it had finished and popped it out, but it wasn't done yet. So yeah I had to re-format it and place some early backups I had on it. ;-; But hey it was better than losing everything forever I guess!!

I was transferring some music files to the sd card but thought it had finished and popped it out, but it wasn't done yet. So yeah I had to re-format it and place some early backups I had on it. ;-; But hey it was better than losing everything forever I guess!!
Awh, that stinks. ):

I don't think I'll be using the SD card for anything but New Leaf and screenshots, so I should be okay. :eek:

Back