• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Events & Collectibles General Discussion

if i dont get the chance to get a strange doll, ill def be going for either a rainbow candy lineup, or a mismatched rainbow lineup. (yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green)

I notice that sellers and giveaway hosts these days are getting serious in their opposition to scalping. I know it makes sense if it?s a giveaway, but I noticed that they don?t even want to sell to those who are only going to make profit off of it. I wonder what has changed? In recent times, I?m only interested into buying collectibles from others to help them acquire TBT Bells or to clear their inventory, not just to make profit.

If I can remember, people have always been against selling what you win in a giveaway, even when I first joined. Hence the backlash I got from that 2014 October giveaway. But they got stricter about it now. Since I only like TBT Bells, I choose not to participate in collectible giveaways (it would be rude if I participated for profit, and I?m trying to avoid that). But it does inspire me something. If I host a collectible giveaway, and if anyone sells the collectibles I give away, they owe me all the profit they make on the collectible. It?s not a con art scheme, but rather a penalty to discourage users from participating if they?re going to participate just for profit. Is that a good idea?

I think it's an honor system.

You just have to hope people stick to the rules of the giveaway.

I notice that sellers and giveaway hosts these days are getting serious in their opposition to scalping. I know it makes sense if it?s a giveaway, but I noticed that they don?t even want to sell to those who are only going to make profit off of it. I wonder what has changed? In recent times, I?m only interested into buying collectibles from others to help them acquire TBT Bells or to clear their inventory, not just to make profit.

If I can remember, people have always been against selling what you win in a giveaway, even when I first joined. Hence the backlash I got from that 2014 October giveaway. But they got stricter about it now. Since I only like TBT Bells, I choose not to participate in collectible giveaways (it would be rude if I participated for profit, and I?m trying to avoid that). But it does inspire me something. If I host a collectible giveaway, and if anyone sells the collectibles I give away, they owe me all the profit they make on the collectible. It?s not a con art scheme, but rather a penalty to discourage users from participating if they?re going to participate just for profit. Is that a good idea?

I personally don't think it's a good idea since if they do sell it (it definitely sucks), but since they won it, it now belongs to them, so they can do whatever they want with it. The best action you can take is to ban them from all future giveaways that you host, since you have the ability to do so because it's your giveaway. Usually noting that in the giveaway makes it so users wouldn't sell it anyways since 1. they won't ever be able to enter into your future giveaways and 2. they would most likely get backlash from people and most people wouldn't want that. :3

Last edited:
I think Alolan means that entering a giveaway should be because you truly want that collectible, and not entering it with the plan in mind to sell it. :(

I personally don't think it's a good idea since if they do sell it (it definitely sucks), but since they won it, it now belongs to them, so they can do whatever they want with it.

That may be true when a collectible you previously owned is under new ownership, you don?t get to decide what to do with it. However, it?s not about if they?re going to sell what they win. It?s about why they participate in the giveaway. If I catch them selling the collectible within 1 to 4 weeks after winning the giveaway, I would know their intentions. But if they had it for at least a month, and sell it then, I would be unsure what their intentions are. So that rule wouldn?t apply for the long run. But I can for the short run.

If a fine wouldn?t work (it sounds more like a lawsuit than a fine), would a negative Wi-Fi rating be appropriate? They may not have scammed you or engaged in any online disrespect, but you can use it if they violated your trade rules, and if the winner participated in the giveaway just to make profit off free collectibles when the rules specify that they can?t, they have violated your trade rules.

I think Alolan means that entering a giveaway should be because you truly want that collectible, and not entering it with the plan in mind to sell it. :(

I was responding to this part below c: And yeah, that's why more people are starting to add rules where you can't sell the collectible right away if you win it. Should only enter it because you want it cx

If I host a collectible giveaway, and if anyone sells the collectibles I give away, they owe me all the profit they make on the collectible. It’s not a con art scheme, but rather a penalty to discourage users from participating if they’re going to participate just for profit. Is that a good idea?

That may be true when a collectible you previously owned is under new ownership, you don’t get to decide what to do with it. However, it’s not about if they’re going to sell what they win. It’s about why they participate in the giveaway. If I catch them selling the collectible within 1 to 4 weeks after winning the giveaway, I would know their intentions. But if they had it for at least a month, and sell it then, I would be unsure what their intentions are. So that rule wouldn’t apply for the long run. But I can for the short run.

If a fine wouldn’t work (it sounds more like a lawsuit than a fine), would a negative Wi-Fi rating be appropriate? They may not have scammed you or engaged in any online disrespect, but you can use it if they violated your trade rules, and if the winner participated in the giveaway just to make profit off free collectibles when the rules specify that they can’t, they have violated your trade rules.

Yeah! Usually I always include something along the lines of "Please only enter this giveaway if you actually want the collectible and not to resell it." for my giveaways. :3 I definitely agree with the short run! O: I wouldn't mind if they entered with the intention of actually wanting it then after a month they no longer want it.

I'll say that's up to you! :3 I'm not too sure on the rulings for a Wi-Fi rating so maybe a mod can clarify that for you. cx I personally would just leave it be. If they won one of my giveaways and sold it within a month, I would just ban them and blacklist them from all my giveaways and shops haha! I feel like it's already a punishment for them since many people tend to keep an eye on things too! They wouldn't have a good reputation on here if they did something like that since it's pretty much looked down on x: They would pretty much be digging their own graves at that point. I wouldn't stress over trying to give them anymore punishments besides that, but that's just my opinion. cx

Last edited:
But here?s a question that I want an answer. Why are sellers discouraging scalping too? If a collectible is being given away, it would be unfair to put a price on something you got for free (and depending on the case, it?s ungrateful), but collectibles being sold already have a price on them. Do you think it?s for the same reason why giveaway hosts don?t allow participation for selling, or is it because there?s a low supply of TBT in circulation?

On the subject of giving away collectibles and setting rules, another thing I am starting to do when I host a giveaway (more particularly 1,000 TBT giveaways where you just enter), I have a rule where you cannot enter if you have more than 5,000 TBT. Reason being is that it?s hard to make TBT in general, and allowing TBT hoarders to enter TBT giveaways would make them hoard even more TBT. Plus, if you have what you want, there?s no need to get more, especially if you?re going to hoard it.

Just wanted to pop in and clarify something! While it's extremely poor taste to sell a collectible that you were given for free via a giveaway or to enter a giveaway with the intent to sell the item, leaving a negative feedback rating isn't exactly appropriate in this scenario. Once you give a collectible to another user, it is effectively theirs, and they're free to do whatever they'd like with it. They didn't violate a forum rule and it also wasn't a buying/selling transaction (which is when feedback is appropriate), so leaving feedback for a giveaway winner at all would be unnecessary by definition.

We don't allow public blacklisting here for obvious reasons, but we can't stop members from simply not counting entries from certain people in the means of a private blacklist. However, it's not possible to tell others what to do with items that are in their possession.

Just wanted to pop in and clarify something! While it's extremely poor taste to sell a collectible that you were given for free via a giveaway or to enter a giveaway with the intent to sell the item, leaving a negative feedback rating isn't exactly appropriate in this scenario. Once you give a collectible to another user, it is effectively theirs, and they're free to do whatever they'd like with it. They didn't violate a forum rule and it also wasn't a buying/selling transaction (which is when feedback is appropriate), so leaving feedback for a giveaway winner at all would be unnecessary by definition.

We don't allow public blacklisting here for obvious reasons, but we can't stop members from simply not counting entries from certain people in the means of a private blacklist. However, it's not possible to tell others what to do with items that are in their possession.
Make a WOTC but for giveaways lol

Thanks for clarifying that. I also wonder if this clarification also means that they don’t have to owe profit to the giveaway host they won it from. I thought it would be a good deterrent to participation just for profit.

Thanks for clarifying that. I also wonder if this clarification also means that they don’t have to owe profit to the giveaway host they won it from. I thought it would be a good deterrent to participation just for profit.

They definitely wouldn't owe the host anything. It'd be equally poor taste for someone to demand or expect payment from a giveaway they hosted, even if they weren't pleased with the outcome.

I know we’re not allowed to trade any digital item for real money on this site, but I have a question about that. Has real money trades for collectibles and Animal Crossing items happened on this site before? I thought it was forbidden from the beginning, but after reading the past Bell Tree directs, I learned it wasn’t stated in the rules until the March Direct in 2014. This left me wondering if it actually happened before, hence why it was added to the rules. Usually when something problematic happens, and it wasn’t in the rules, they add it to the rules when a new direct happens.

I'm pretty sure I've heard cases of it being a thing people did before it was officially outlined in the rules, yeah

with tbt having a value of like 1tbt=1? (usd), and any digital item real-world currency prices based upon this

Last edited:
I remember that trade for real money have been forbidden since the beginning of my membership (it was added to the rules even before that). They also clarified that you can?t trade gift card codes for digital items (including eShop codes) or require donating to charity to get items here. But as time went by, they clarified the rule even further where you can?t even trade digital items for any for-pay currencies from other sites, as well as codes outside of Nintendo, fully segregating real money trades and real item trades for virtual items and virtual currency.

My opinion on this matter: it?s not just unfair and immoral to ask for real money in order to sell your digital items, but that practice is also highly illegal. If people are asking for real money for something that doesn?t have real worth, this is considered scamming. If real money trades for virtual items are allowed here, and it goes out of control, this site may be slapped with a heavy lawsuit. It?s also against the law to do business without a license.

My opinion on this matter: it’s not just unfair and immoral to ask for real money in order to sell your digital items, but that practice is also highly illegal. If people are asking for real money for something that doesn’t have real worth, this is considered scamming. If real money trades for virtual items are allowed here, and it goes out of control, this site may be slapped with a heavy lawsuit. It’s also against the law to do business without a license.

Ok, it is not scamming to sell digital items for real money as long as people actually value it and are willing to pay for it. All you have to do is look at CSGO skins on Steam to know that selling digital items for real money is ok and normal. Additionally, DLC in our beloved video games is technically the same thing... Also, you do not have to have a license to do business online for the most part, all you have to do is look at eBay. Business licenses are only necessary if you are doing business at a physical location and if you want to be more official along with additional protections (trademarks, patents, intellectual property protection, limited liability, etc.). Just my 2 cents. I could have misread the context of your post, let me know if I did.

I told you guys to go for the dark candy!!! +Possible pink one

- - - Post Merge - - -

Imagine how messed up interest rates would get in certain countries if trading non-value digital items for real money was a thing

suddenly you have non ACers spamming TBT forums to make a quick buck of TBT, people spending days on contest entries so they can get a moon wand and sell their acct for big bucks, crazy stuff

(though I have friends who do that in mmos, all you need for it to be more legal is an intermediate premium currency that can be boutght with $$$, then you trade your game currency or items for the game premium one effectively)

Ok, it is not scamming to sell digital items for real money as long as people actually value it and are willing to pay for it. All you have to do is look at CSGO skins on Steam to know that selling digital items for real money is ok and normal. Additionally, DLC in our beloved video games is technically the same thing... Also, you do not have to have a license to do business online for the most part, all you have to do is look at eBay. Business licenses are only necessary if you are doing business at a physical location and if you want to be more official along with additional protections (trademarks, patents, intellectual property protection, limited liability, etc.). Just my 2 cents. I could have misread the context of your post, let me know if I did.

I believe you have. What I mean by digital items, I don?t mean entire games or additional content that expand your games. I mean like individual items from the original game (like a Green Lamp in Animal Crossing or a Pinwheel Collectible from TBT). Even if you do value it a lot, digital items have no real worth, as you shouldn?t have to pay real money to get what you want in-game or in-site. Especially to strangers you don?t know. You also don?t own the rights to Animal Crossing or any video game by Nintendo. So if you?re making real money off of something in-game as a player, that could land you in serious trouble.

When I said you can?t do business without a license, I can?t believe I forgot about eBay. I was mindless about that part, but I did want to point out that trading TBT items and ACNL items for real money is against the law. If it isn?t, it?s still immoral and unfair, which is why I?m glad that real money trades are forbidden on this site.

Back