Pokémon How would you feel about a Let's Go! Johto game?

Chris

Staff
Senior Moderator
Bells
Island
Vylbrand
Tera Orb
Master Ball
Moon Ball
Love Ball
Pokéball
The rumours have been circling for years, I know. So what are peoples thoughts? For? Against?

I received Let's Go! Eevee shortly after launch, played about 5hrs, then dropped it. I hated that Pokémon battles had less of an emphasis. But I restarted it a month ago while travelling and I've had a complete change of heart. I'm enjoying it so much - reached the Elite 4 today!

I've beaten Brilliant Diamond and Legends: Arceus in 2024 already, and while I consider PLA the ultimate Nintendo Switch Pokémon experience I would still really love to see a Let's Go! Johto game. The formula is really fun. I think I would want to see that more than the upcoming Legends: Z-A. 👀

If I still have to catch Pokemon with the mechanics from Pokemon Go, I'm not getting it. I don't find it fun for the entire game to function like the safari zone. If I don't even enjoy catching Pokemon, why am I playing? I also don't want those motion controls forced onto me again. Especially since I don't even use joycons anymore and mine drift. I think it was different in handheld mode, but I would still have to use the joycons instead of my pro controller...
The rest of the game was okay to me. I'm not going to complain about missing Pokemon or anything since I could deal with that but the gameplay itself was just not fun for me.
I actually did play the game far enough to catch Mewtwo but after that I realized it was not worth doing anything else, especially not shiny hunting since the Pokemon can flee.

The Pokemon Go mechanics are partly why I've never gone back to re-visit the Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee games. Which stinks because I think the games are fun enough and can help get a person who has never played Pokemon invested in the series. That said, I think if Let's Go Johto were to happen, I would need to see a bit more about the game. I think I want one though, the Johto region is my favorite region in Pokemon, and it'd be cool to re-visit it with modern graphics. But that'd mean needing to beat Heart Gold and Soul Silver, which is a tall order!

Not interested.

Any game that requires the use of JoyCons loses interest from me right off the bat. I skipped Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! initially due to the Go-styled capturing mechanic, the fact that I don't particularly care for Eevee or Pikachu (Eevee is okay but not something I'm crazy for, Pikachu gives me mascot fatigue and I honestly prefer Raichu and feel Raichu gets overshadowed), and the names they gave some of the Eevee/Pikachu-exclusive moves that gave the impression that Game Freak was targeting 3-year olds (including but not limited to Baddy Bad, Splishy Splash, and Zippy Zap). I did eventually get a copy of Let's Go, Eevee!, secondhand, just because I wanted to be able to acquire Mew from Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl by having a Let's Go! game save file on the Switch.

Additionally, I recall seeing some interview with the director of HeartGold and SoulSilver where he said that he was receiving questions from within the company along the lines of "Are you sure we should be putting this much in a remake?" I have no confidence that they are going to be able to make Johto games that are actually comparable or better than HeartGold and SoulSilver, and honestly even if they did, the aforementioned JoyCon requirement issue already has me unlikely to want to bother engaging with them. Maybe if these hypothetical Let's Go! Johto games are on the Switch's successor, if the controllers are of higher quality than the JoyCons.

If they happen, then the money I would've potentially spent on the next games can go elsewhere and people who enjoy the gameplay can enjoy the games.

I'd prefer that they concentrate more on making the next mainline games less buggy (looking at you, laggy, broken tera raids in Scarlet & Violet) and am also interested in more Legends games.

I wouldn't mind a let go game if it had a different story to the original, but I'm not really interested in a game with the same story as the original but arguably less features.

I quite like the artstyle and the idea of it, but think it should sit as stand alone stories like Legends Arceus. Or atleast like an alternate universe story type thing.

I don't want the Lets Go series to continue. Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee remains the only pair of GameFreak Pokemon games I have never bought or played.

I'd buy the game if it works with a pro controller. Playing with a Joy con is painful and it caused issues with one of my Switch consoles.
Sun and Moon was my first and I'd love to play the older games on the Nintendo Switch.

I would love a Johto revisit/remake.

I had really mixed feelings about Let's Go. At first, really enjoyed it, was a really light & easy game. After a couple gyms and catching a handful of Pokemon, it got really boring really fast. Forced EXP Share (not just an issue with Let's Go but several of the newer gen games), no random wild Pokemon battles, ridiculously easy trainer and Gym battles... there was no challenge to it. Eventually I dropped the game partway through. A long time later I went back to the game and beat the game. And surprisingly it felt better towards the end game. Being able to re-battle not just the Elite 4, but also gyms and trainers was nice, and I believe they also leveled up. Not my favorite Pokemon game of all time, but it was palatable in the end.

So TLDR.... I think a Johto game would be awesome, just not sure if I'd want it in the style of Lets Go. A FR/LG or HG/SS style remake, but for the Switch and with higher difficulty battles and some nice end game add ons would be ideal!

Back