• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Is the 3DS XL a must for playing Animal Crossing?

Which 3DS should I buy?

• You should buy a normal 3DS

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • You should totally buy a 3DS XL

Votes: 32 56.1%

• Total voters
I have had the 3ds since launch, and it is still in great condition. I was considering getting the xl, but I just do not like the colors. I want a black or silver one. I'll be holding off until then, and enjoying AC:NL on my regular black 3DS.

I've had both the regular and XL, and I have now sold off my regular 3ds. The XL is nicer to me. It's bigger which made a surprising amount of difference in gameplay, and the button and stylus layout is better. Most every game I play now is a bit easier because everything is bigger and easier to notice. It still fits in my pocket as well :D

I suggest the XL. It's a bit more pricey but super worth it.

I just got an XL this weekend just for when Animal Crossing comes out in June with 3 weeks of pay x_x. My main reason for that is for the patterns. I just love pro patterns! I feel like I will be able to see the individual blocks better with a bigger screen so I can add more detail in more easily. I also agree with what PaisleyMouse said about stylus placement and the rounded edges. It takes me too long to get the stylus out on the 3DS. I feel like if I had to catch a flying bug and it would take too long to take out my net via reaching for that stylus and then it would get away. The smooth surface rather than the shiny surface on the 3DS is also a plus in my book.

I gave my regular 3DS to my girlfriend and got her new super mario brothers 2. She loves it. So its not like its a horrid experience. Its just a little bit...less in my opinion.

Bottom line is, what is more important...saving some money, or having a better gaming experience? I'd say Its worth the extra €40-50. But if there are other things you need to buy right now also, things you really need, like living supplies, I'd say you would still do fine on a regular 3DS no doubt.

One of my sons owns the regular 3DS, my other son owns the 3DS XL. Playing them side-by-side I much prefer the 3DS XL, but I have a DSi XL so I'm partial to the larger screen anyway. I too am waiting on another color option for the 3DS XL (even wrote Nintendo about it and got a really snooty reply back about "it's what is on the inside that counts, not the outside"). If no other color options come out by mid-May (and I'm not really fond of the AC version either), I'll resort to getting the red one and I'll purchase a skin from decalgirl dot com.

To the comment about patterns: there is a zoom feature where you can zoom in close to work on 1 part of a pattern

I upgraded from my Flame Red 3DS to my Silver / Black 3DS XL (I live in Europe!) in August last year and haven't regretted it once. It is just sooooo much nicer. I look at my girlfriends Aqua Blue 3DS and just think "how did I ever play this?, it looks like a GameBoy Micro!"

I also bought Ocarina of Time 3D on the same day, and fell in love with the XL's 3D. The only cons I could ever see with the XL is the higher price and the fact that if you put it in sleep mode and lightly press on it, it may accidentally go to the home screen because of the placement of the home button. (It has happened to me! :S)

Overall, if you can afford it, get the XL. :D

To the comment about patterns: there is a zoom feature where you can zoom in close to work on 1 part of a pattern

yeah I knew about that :)

I just meant it might be easier WITHOUT zooming in...yknow? I dont like zooming in unless I really have to... I dunno why thats just how I feel about it

I think the 3DS is fine. It's pretty, small, and convenient. I also heard that its less blurry and pixelated!

The XL isn't blurry at all and is only slightly pixelated, but chances are you're going to hold a regular 3DS closer to you just to see it making the pixelation just as noticeable.

I upgraded from my Flame Red 3DS to my Silver / Black 3DS XL (I live in Europe!) in August last year and haven't regretted it once. It is just sooooo much nicer. I look at my girlfriends Aqua Blue 3DS and just think "how did I ever play this?, it looks like a GameBoy Micro!"

I totally did that yesterday with my DS Lite! I spontaneously took it out, stared at it for a min, turned it on, and laughed uncontrollably. How did I EVER do ANYTHING on that thing? It must've shrunk since last I played. :p ...I've only had my 3DS XL since Christmas, too. I got spoiled pretty quick. :rolleyes: I don't feel the same way about my GBA SP, though. It's weird.

Anyways, I think the XL makes a huge difference (for me, at least) and it's worth the extra money if you can afford it. I absolutely adore mine!

The XL isn't blurry at all and is only slightly pixelated, but chances are you're going to hold a regular 3DS closer to you just to see it making the pixelation just as noticeable.

Agreed. :)

I was about to buy a 3DS XL, but then I found out something about the screen resolution.

When Nintendo made the DSi XL, they increased the screen size and the screen resolution.

However, when they made the 3DS XL, they increased the screen size but did not increase the screen resolution. This leaves the screen slightly pixelated. Kind of like if you were to take an image and make it bigger -- sure, its size would increase, but the image quality would be reduced.

That's why I chose to get a normal 3DS instead. The screen quality is better.

I love my 3DS XL! I can't wait for NL to come out! I'd say XL would be better but like you said you're strapped for cash and the o ly real difference is the size. If you're not to bothered about the size just go with the normal one

I got both but I use the XL a lot cause it has bigger screen, big buttons (easy to control), the battery last longer (2 days I didn't charged it) & amazing 3D effect & by the way I took 3DS XL just for AC:NL

If you are like me, with very small hands the XL will be wayyy uncomfortable/big. I love my (normal) 3DS. Great size, very portable and not too heavy. The picture does not get stretched out either which is a plus (I don't noticed a difference but some people complain about this for the XL).

I like the matte look of the XL, but in terms of how it feels, I just prefer the 3DS. If you are a girl with larger hands (or even normal hands) or a guy, the XL might be better though. Just my two cents.

Yeah, I personally prefer my 3DS vs my husband's 3DS XL. Like Lin said, the finish on the outside is the only thing I like better because the regular 3DS always gets smudged. I've got a nice case though, so it's no problem.

i traded my 3DS for an XL. my eyes kinda suck, even with glasses so i like the bigger screen and it is actually more comfortable to hold for hours at a time than the 3DS. i don't have big hands but i noticed it was a lot more comfortable.
you just have to think about what you want. if you really want that bigger screen, then save up and get it. if it's not that big of a deal to you then save a little cash.

I think I might get the 3ds since I am used to my Ds and I don't want to pay an extra 50 or 60 euro for the XL

Well, in the end, it will only matter what YOU want.
Some with the regular 3DS will tell you to get the regular one since they could have probably not tried the XL themselves
Some with the XL 3DS will tell you to get the larger, 3DS XL since they could have probably not tried the regular 3DS or have done an upgrade from the regular
And those that have both will tell you their experience with both, and which one they prefer.

Out of all this, the question you want to ask is not "which one should I get", it's "which one would benefit me more" if you can't afford the XL, Dont get it. If you can afford it from now until then and it's the one you actually want, go do that. If you really want to try it out, head to a local electronics or gaming store and check the demo display ones and see how you like it better.

Back