• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Is the 3DS XL a must for playing Animal Crossing?

Which 3DS should I buy?

• You should buy a normal 3DS

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • You should totally buy a 3DS XL

Votes: 32 56.1%

• Total voters
After reading this I kinda want a 3dsXl, but I still love my 3ds! I think it's prettier than the Xl and I don't have to hold it closer to my eyes like other people have been saying. I've used my old Xl after playing my 3ds and there was a big difference, but then when I went back to my 3ds I actually liked it better!

Also for everyone who's interested in an XL: I don't know if it is like this everywhere but on Walmart's website you can buy a 3ds xl bundle with one game (not like new releases or anything but still) and then it also comes with a case and it is $199 same price as normally it is by itself. Then there is a club nintendo promotion going on where if you buy Dark Moon or that Pokemon mystery dungeon you get a choice of one of five free game downloads. So thats two free games. (if you do both deals) I already have a regular 3ds but have been considering upgrading and this deal just might convince me...although I was planning to wait until May but Im scared the promotions will end soon.

EDIT: for the Club nintendo deal it is when you buy the game AND and XL and register them both within a certain window of time

In all honesty, the game is going to look beautiful on either the regular 3DS and the XL. As for image quality that people are talking about, yes, the games are the same exact resolution on the XL as the regular 3DS, causing them to be a little more pixelated. However, if you go to Youtube and look at comparisons, with everything in motion it is barely noticeable and the quality is still just a beautiful. I personally love my XL and love the bigger picture, but it's not a must.

As for the assertion that it's not as portable, that is total BS. The XL is just as portable as the original. People just need to stop wearing skinny jeans.

XL does have some nice advantages like rounded edges that make it more comfortable and the 3D slider has a clicker so you can't accidentally bump it on.

The XL does have an improved battery live, but it's not too much. I can usually get 2 more hours out of the XL.

If it comes down to colors, the regular 3DS currently has a better selection of colors then the XL.

And for price, yes XL is going to be more since it is newer, but if you stalk Ebay and retailers websites you will find a good sale or a slightly used one for a good price.

I have an XL and I've compared it with my friends' regular 3DS. I can't imagine playing games on a smaller screen.
I always have a bag or a backpack with me so it's not a big of a deal for me, but if you're that concerned about portability, get the 3DS. the XL fits in my pocket but half of it sticks out which probably means that it could fall out easily.
I'm a girl with regular sized hands and the XL is very comfortable. I can imagine why it would be uncomfortable for those with smaller hands though.
as for the colors... I wasn't happy with the XL's selection either, but there are aluminum cases and decals everywhere. I have a blue shell decal on my blue XL and it looks amazing!

obviously if you really can't afford it, go with the 3DS, but if its not that big of a deal then get an XL because if you don't have a 3DS already, its definitely worth it.

I have a Cosmo Black Original 3DS and find it okay for my needs. Everyone complains about the battery life on it, but I rarely ever have my 3DS go beyond three bars out of four. I have tried out the 3DS XL over to Best Buy and I am thinking of switching, but not really sure. I would personally go with the original 3DS unless you have large hands and fuss over fingerprints as you will find the original 3DS uncomfortable and you get a lot of fingerprints after a 2-3 hour play session. :lemon:

I prefer the regular sized 3Ds. Mostly because it fits in your pocket easily and is easy to carry around. This makes using Streetpass easy. Plus, since it is easy to carry with you, it's simple to use on those long car trips. This is just my opinion, however.

Back