• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Jarring Oddities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Staff
Senior Moderator
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Island
Vylbrand
Tasty Cake
Green Bunny Balloon
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Orange Bunny Balloon
Pink Bunny Balloon
Jarring Oddities Banner.png

Many moons ago, a laboratory was established in the basement of the Bell Tree Manor as part of an investigation into reports concerning paranormal activity in The Woods. As you navigate the lab, cluttered with complicated equipment and corrosive chemicals, your eyes fall upon a particular door:

Jarring Oddities Door (1).png

Your laboratory key fits the lock. Despite no one there to scold you, you take the lone white lab coat—marked with ominous pink stains that you would rather not think about—and a pair of plastic goggles from the hook next to the door and put them on. The sight beyond the door takes your breath away - or perhaps it is the sudden drop in temperature that is to blame. Shelves upon shelves of jars fill the room ceiling to floor, each one containing specimens preserved in formaldehyde. As you walk between the aisles, you stop now and then to get a closer look at some of the more peculiar oddities. Some contain creatures you have never even seen before! At the far end of the Wet Room, you come across a fume hood. Inside there is an empty jar waiting to be filled. It is time to add your own contribution to the Bell Tree Manor's wet specimen collection.

Hosts 🦇

This event will be co-hosted by Chris and Mick. Both will be able to accept your entries and answer any questions you might have. Any private enquiries about the event should be made via a group conversation with both hosts in order to ensure consistency across responses.

Task 🦇

This is a physical craft event where you will create your own spooky wet specimen jars.

Instructions 🦇

• Acquire a jar with a lid (this can be a mason jar, an empty peanut butter jar, etc).​
  • Pick the item(s) you wish to use and place them inside the jar.​
  • Fill the jar using a mixture of water and food colouring to achieve the desired colour.​
  • Snap a photograph of your jar alongside a name card with your TBT username clearly written on it and upload it to this thread by 11:59pm EST on Sunday the 31st of October 2021.​
  • To be eligible to be nominated for a Halloween Favourite your entry must be submitted by the earlier deadline of 2:59pm EST on Sunday the 31st of October 2021.

Rules 🦇

• Entries must be made by you.
  • You may use craft supplies and pre-existing items.
  • Entries must fit an autumn or Halloween theme.
  • No collaborative projects.
  • No digital projects.
  • A reasonable amount of effort should be put into your creations. Submissions that appear rushed or made as a joke won't be accepted.
  • All entries submitted are final. Please do not edit your entry after submission unless asked to by a staff member.
  • Your username must be visible somewhere in your submission.
  • Keep all creations appropriate. A little gore is okay given the nature of the event, but no adult or hateful content.

How to Submit 🦇

Submit your photograph of your entry with your name card by posting it in this thread by 11:59pm EST on Sunday the 31st of October 2021.

However, please note that to be eligible to be nominated for a Halloween Favourite your entry must be submitted by the earlier deadline of 2:59pm EST on Sunday the 31st of October 2021.

Prizes 🦇

Participation:
  • 30 Haunted Coins
  • 1 Golden Haunted Coin

Halloween Favourites:
  • 1st Place: 40 Haunted Coins
  • 2nd Place: 30 Haunted Coins
  • 3rd Place: 20 Haunted Coins
  • 4th Place: 10 Haunted Coins

Frequently Asked Questions 🦇

Q. How will the Halloween Favourites be decided?
A. The staff will review and nominate entries to go to a community poll. Only entries submitted by 2:59pm EST on Sunday the 31st of October 2021 will be eligible for nomination.

Q. Can I draw my jar instead?
A. This is a physical craft event so drawings will not be accepted.

Q. Does it need to be Animal Crossing themed?
A. It does not to be related to Animal Crossing.

Q. Does it have to be a jar?
A. Yes. We are quite lenient on the type of jar you can use, as long as it is indeed a jar!

Q. Can I decorate the outside of my jar?
A. A little bit, yes, but we still need to be able to clearly see the contents of your jar.

Q. Do I have to fill the jar with liquid?
A. Yes, so please do not put anything inside the jar that you fear getting damaged.

Q. Can I use plain water?
A. No, you cannot use plain water. If you do not have food colouring you are welcome to use other means to colour the liquid such as squash, bleeding markers, etc.

Does the jar have to have a complete specimen/creature or can it have parts or something? eg eye balls

Also, does the liquid have to be water + food coloring?

Last edited:
Here's my entry. Preserved torn facial skin and flesh of my Animal Crossing villager (look at the shape of the nose and my avatar) courtesy of our friendly neighborhood mascot.

tbtLAB.jpg

The "flesh" was created using modelling clay, then I used dark red markers to add details and emphasize the nose and eyes.

Does the jar have to have a complete specimen/creature or can it have parts or something? eg eye balls

Also, does the liquid have to be water + food coloring?
Creature parts are fine, as long as we can see clear effort has gone into your jar creation.

If there is an alternative liquid you wish to use please just make sure it is not so opaque that we cannot see what is inside. If you want to make sure a specific liquid is fine to use you're welcome to ask us. 🎃

As a side note, the "accept" react is not yet ready so any early entries won't be accepted right away.

Stumbled across an abandoned lab in the middle of a forest where I found this....a core sample of unicorn flesh. It was oozing mysterious substances so I quickly put it back into its jar and on the shelf with the rest of of TBTF's oddities....

IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_1379-1.jpeg

52E2F07F-B3C1-48F3-8421-B7D78BFD4A43.jpeg

And in a jar upon a shelf I placed… the head of a troublesome neighbor preserved in formaldehyde despite its slightly decayed state. Through the skin slippage you can see a fascinating phenomenon beneath: a skull of crystal bloodstone inexplicably grown within his flesh.

Got a little carried away with this and may have permanently lodged polymer clay in the teeth of my bloodstone skull but I’m pretty happy with how this came out.

0E16A6A2-14A5-46C6-9626-9F2DEECB43F6.jpeg

while exploring the manor’s sprawling basement lab, i discovered something curious among the endless shelves of preserved specimens.

it was hidden behind a few of the more decrepit looking jars, and i wouldn’t have noticed it if it weren’t for the eerie, sick-green glow it appeared to emit.

it seems that i’ve stumbled on what looks to be someone’s… personal collection? hopefully the owner won’t notice if i just take quick picture and set it back on the shelf where i found it…

-

6B384909-35C5-49AC-872C-CADD3AA2FBAB.jpeg
(i forgot to include my name card in the original picture, hope this is alright)

🧜‍♀️I came across a jar of a friend of pascal🧜‍♀️

View attachment 405818
Using a mermaid friend, blue food colouring within the water capturing Ariel's cousins

Hey! We're looking for for Halloween or autumn-related submissions for this event, and don't think this really fits that prompt. For that reason, we'll unfortunately have to ask you to resubmit.

Also a quick note for anyone who is going to submit to this event: we'd like entries to have an image that makes the container clearly recognisable as a jar. Thanks!

Im trying to resubmit but everytime i try im being told the photos are too big for the server to handle, im on iphone?
Post automatically merged:

Resubmission: witch’s brekfast🧙‍♀️

found a jar what looks like a brekfast fit for a witch
Using tea, shreddies, sprinkles of ash and added a eye but sunk to the bottom unable to be seen in the photo😂
2F50D18F-74A7-4D73-AFB5-1AF130C022F7.jpeg

C73CB979-7311-450E-95D0-7438CEE06C8F.jpeg

Last edited:
m361ueY.jpg

This jar, filled with a mysterious milky green/blue-ish substance, was found in the depth of an abandoned old house
along with other weird stuff. It seems that a little octopus like creature lives inside of it. More details about the creature
are not available, so far it seems to be friendly but it's recommend to stay away from it for now until further
investigations are done.

77ms4xL.jpg

hi! for the liquid part, can we use just water or does it have to be colored?
Hi there! We won't be accepting water alone for the liquid. If you don't have food colouring you are welcome to use other alternatives, e.g. squash.

Im trying to resubmit but everytime i try im being told the photos are too big for the server to handle, im on iphone?
Post automatically merged:

Resubmission: witch’s brekfast🧙‍♀️

found a jar what looks like a brekfast fit for a witch
Using tea, shreddies, sprinkles of ash and added a eye but sunk to the bottom unable to be seen in the photo😂
View attachment 406080
View attachment 406081

Hi! We don't feel this entry meets the events requirements, and it feels as if it were designed for a cooking event rather than a craft event, so I'm afraid we will not be accepting it. I'd suggest taking a look at what other members have done with their entries to get an idea of the sort of creativity we are looking for in this event.

As you place the final jar back on the shelf, you think to yourself; 'Finally, I have done it. I have captured the very essence of a crisp autumn day. The smell of oranges filling the air. The leaves scattered on the ground. Covering the soil in hues of bright reds and brilliant oranges. The sound of sweet music enveloping you...'
As you walk away, the face of a familiar musician stares back at you like a ballerina in a music box. Their creativity hidden away to be released on your command alone.
FCjE32yWYAUgsqO

FCjE3SbWEAk4dY9
FCjrL8oX0AoAz7a

while nervously feeling my way through the laboratory with only a flashlight in hand, I stumbled upon something truly terrifying. I found the lost doll, the Creepy Doll. legend has it, the doll was created alongside the Weird, Strange, and Quirky dolls, but something went horribly wrong and it turned evil. it was then sentenced to spend eternity within this small jar. to this day it waits, plotting its revenge.

20211025-121528.jpg

this took me a few hours, some craft stuff, lots of thinking, and wrestling a relentless kitten to make lol
20211025-121419.jpg

while nervously feeling my way through the laboratory with only a flashlight in hand, I stumbled upon something truly terrifying. I found the lost doll, the Creepy Doll. legend has it, the doll was created alongside the Weird, Strange, and Quirky dolls, but something went horribly wrong and it turned evil. it was then sentenced to spend eternity within this small jar. to this day it waits, plotting its revenge.

20211025-121528.jpg

this took me a few hours, some craft stuff, lots of thinking, and wrestling a relentless kitten to make lol
20211025-121419.jpg

Hi! Chris and I are having a hard time figuring out how you achieved this.
Could you elaborate? If you still have the jar, is it possible for you to take a picture from the top or side so we can confirm it's not stuck to the glass? Thank you! 😅

Hi! Chris and I are having a hard time figuring out how you achieved this.
Could you elaborate? If you still have the jar, is it possible for you to take a picture from the top or side so we can confirm it's not stuck to the glass? Thank you! 😅
I taped a piece of yarn to its back and taped that to the bottom of the jar, since I knew the drawing cutout would float upward. :)
20211025-125350.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back