• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Join My Shiny Hunting Club!

The SV[Shiny Value] is what determins if the egg will be shiny or not by if it matches your own SV. Say, for instance, your SV is 1234, and you've bred a bunch of eggs with the following SVs

Out of those five eggs, the only one that would be shiny when hatched is the one that has your shiny value on it. In other words, the egg with the SV of 1234, which matches your SV for this; would hatch as a shiny whatever pokemon it is. The rest would all be normal colors.

Basically if your SV is 1234, and you breed an egg with 1234 as its SV then

TSV = ESV = Shiny
TSV /= ESV = Normal

(TSV = Trainer Shiny Value, ESV = Egg Shiny Value)

Note: To find these values you need a program called InstaCheck Hotspot. Don't ask me how to use it though, I've never been able to get it to even start.

Oh, and actual SV values are between 0 and 9999.

Actually they are between 0-4096.

Well, I'm on my last box of Honedge. I've been hatching them for 3 days now, sent hundreds into the abyss (and some into WT) and still no shiny. So after this box, I'm going to start again with Eevee. Or maybe Squirtle. Or Shinx. Or or or... Chaining is too frustrating, so it's hatching only for me. I have no way of checking my TSV so it's only the long way for me...

Edit - Got a question. If the egg will only hatch a shiny Pokemon if the TSV and ESV are the same, and there are 4097 possible values (so a 1 in 4097 chance of hatching a shiny) how exactly does the Masuda method work in X and Y?

Last edited:
The egg becomes shiny once the TSV and the ESV are the same. The Masuda Method is a completely different process, where I think personally that it makes the games so that it can only generate ESVs of a set number's radius around the TSV. I may be completely wrong, this was just a shot in the dark... And, I think that the chances are somewhere around 1 in 1000 or something like that. I am not too sure I am right, though.

Edit: Also, I don't think that the game has programmed an ESV of 0.

Last edited:
Would be interesting perhaps if someone with access to the checking software would look at Masuda-ed eggs and see what the ESV range is as compared to the TSV, and if it is different to the ESV range of non-Masuda-ed eggs. Just to see what Masuda does to the chances.

From what I'm aware, Masuda method simply tests the value twice. If it isn't your value the first time it resets it.

From what I'm aware, Masuda method simply tests the value twice. If it isn't your value the first time it resets it.

I heard the Masuda method causes the shiny value to be rerolled six times(stopping before the sixth reroll if it lands on your shiny value.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The egg becomes shiny once the TSV and the ESV are the same. The Masuda Method is a completely different process, where I think personally that it makes the games so that it can only generate ESVs of a set number's radius around the TSV. I may be completely wrong, this was just a shot in the dark... And, I think that the chances are somewhere around 1 in 1000 or something like that. I am not too sure I am right, though.

Edit: Also, I don't think that the game has programmed an ESV of 0.

I've seen a few people with a TSV of 0

Just got another shiny eevee (my 3rd), with 31\26\31\31\7\18. Not going to be using it in battle but since its finally male I might use it for breeding better eevees.

lol so you have a male and a female shiny eevee? lucky. (still can't wait to get my shiny flareon moved to Y)

lol so you have a male and a female shiny eevee? lucky. (still can't wait to get my shiny flareon moved to Y)

Going to aim for a shiny eevee team, but that probably isn't practical. Then again I'm halfway there I guess.

You won't be disappointed with shiny flareon, its very attractive in this game.

Last edited:
I love how my shiny umbreon looks(and I have a shiny vaporeon to move as well.. and a shiny leafeon and glaceon too xD)

so.. flareon, umbreon, vaporeon, leafeon, and glaceon. That's 5/6 for a shiny eevee team. xD

oh wait.. I forgot about my shiny eevee named Snow. Probably gonna turn her into an espeon.

edit: course, my AR was very helpful in 'finding' them. Wild Pokemon Are Shiny AR cheat for the win.
edit again: though my shiny dragonair isn't from cheating. Yay for free shinies from in-game events x3 Got a couple like that. The rest are all cheated for.

Last edited:
Poketransfer just get here already! DX
I have quite a few good pokemon from White...

I'm sure everyone wants their pokemans from their other games in the new one already. I half expect it to launch, then suddenly be disabled because people abused it lol

The Pokecheck thing is really cool and addicting! On that note I just got my first 4IV pokemon, almost 5. It's a Staryu with 10\31\31\30\31\31 I'm excited XD

I love how my shiny umbreon looks(and I have a shiny vaporeon to move as well.. and a shiny leafeon and glaceon too xD)

so.. flareon, umbreon, vaporeon, leafeon, and glaceon. That's 5/6 for a shiny eevee team. xD

oh wait.. I forgot about my shiny eevee named Snow. Probably gonna turn her into an espeon.

edit: course, my AR was very helpful in 'finding' them. Wild Pokemon Are Shiny AR cheat for the win.
edit again: though my shiny dragonair isn't from cheating. Yay for free shinies from in-game events x3 Got a couple like that. The rest are all cheated for.

Eh, with the current system to obtaining shinies I think I prefer the "legit" way ;p At least I can say they are not hacked /ARed.

Last edited:
Fun fact: the SV Method of getting shinies might be about to be stopping in its tracks. Trade server went down for maintenance. Watch eggs become untradable now.

Back