• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Look what I've got!

View attachment 3580
I'm so excited! My lovely wife (a magazine editor) has been able to get a review copy of the PAL version of New Leaf! It's just downloading now... the suspense is unbearable! Now we weren't given any NDAs about it, but I would have thought there would be some, so I'm going to have to be very careful about what I say for now - I'll try to find out tomorrow what I can and can't say. But yeah.. any questions, fire away! Unlikely I'll be able to answer any of them until tomorrow, though (although I will write back in a few hours with some initial impressions, who's in my town etc).

About a third of the way downloaded now...

What makes a review copy differ from a plan old copy of New Leaf?

EDIT: PAL is for Eastern European countries only. If you're in the USA or Canada then you need the game to be in NTSC format which is for North America only.

Last edited:
Ankha!! Oh my gosh, I am so jealous of your wife, Mike! That cat is one of my favorite villagers. c:
Y'all are going to have loads of fun with the game, you lucky ducks!

If you don't mind me asking, what is a review copy of the PAL version? What makes it differ from a plan old copy of New Leaf?

PAL is the European version of the game, there is no difference other than the fact that it wont play on an American 3DS.

Jesirawr
PAL is the 3DS region for the EUR version of the game. Which means its the copy released in Europe. All the other early released have been for NA, which is like NTSC-U or something

Okay, so I'm taking another break to report back on my progress. So far there seems to be quite a bit I can't do, mayor-wise. When I talk to Isabelle, she just tells me about the basic things, like how to use your shovel etc. I guess I'll be able to be the proper mayor tomorrow. I bought a shovel in Nookling's Junction (and found three fossils and a gem) and Isabelle gave me a rod, so I've been doing a lot of fishing. I've also been harvesting cherries, and planted some apples that Isabelle gave me. What else? Oh, I saved up enough to pay off my first debt to Nook, but his shop closed before I got a chance to give it to him, so it looks like I'll be in a tent for another day.

You guys answered me as I looked it up lol
I was also looking up promotional copies (review copies) and it looks like it's the full version of the game just released early.
Is that all it is? Are you able to continue even after New Leaf has been released, or do you have to get a new copy?

Okay, so I'm taking another break to report back on my progress. So far there seems to be quite a bit I can't do, mayor-wise. When I talk to Isabelle, she just tells me about the basic things, like how to use your shovel etc. I guess I'll be able to be the proper mayor tomorrow. I bought a shovel in Nookling's Junction (and found three fossils and a gem) and Isabelle gave me a rod, so I've been doing a lot of fishing. I've also been harvesting cherries, and planted some apples that Isabelle gave me. What else? Oh, I saved up enough to pay off my first debt to Nook, but his shop closed before I got a chance to give it to him, so it looks like I'll be in a tent for another day.

Don't you pay off your debt at the post office ATM?

Could you confirm Nooks homes has a Nooks homes sign and not Immonook, and whether or not Re-tails sign is readable or jibberish. - I imagine all PAL games have 1 set of signs/graphical overlays instead of different signs for different languages, as past games have.

Also, Spork was called Spork on the Gamecube, weird that localisation will change it now.

You guys answered me as I looked it up lol
I was also looking up promotional copies (review copies) and it looks like it's the full version of the game just released early.
Is that all it is? Are you able to continue even after New Leaf has been released, or do you have to get a new copy?

Whenever I've had review copies before, they've always just been the full version. The only difference is they don't tend to be sent in a box - just the cart/disc in an envelope or, more recently, a download code for the eShop.

EDIT: Nook's Homes is indeed Nook's Homes, not Immonook (thank goodness), and the Re-tail sign says Re-tail, not gibberish like on the box.

THANK GOODNESS FOR NO GIBBERISH ON THE BOX.

Also, did you just get some kind of code you entered on the 3DS eShop to download it?

Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations :)
I'm glad to hear both you and your wife are having fun with the game.
Just a little over a month for the rest of us.

Also, did you just get some kind of code you entered on the 3DS eShop to download it?

Yep, just worked like any other code you might get. Entered it in the 'redeem code' section and downloaded!

Back