• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo Update General Discussion

I am not familiar with Nintendo title updates, so this may be a silly question...

Will the update write to our existing, physical ACNL cartridges, or is this downloadable update only for downloaded versions of ACNL?

I am not familiar with Nintendo title updates, so this may be a silly question...

Will the update write to our existing, physical ACNL cartridges, or is this downloadable update only for downloaded versions of ACNL?

it works on the physical acnl cartridges aswell :)

It's for both. It doesn't get installed to the card though, but with the latest 3DS Update version: 11.1.0-34 it added a check so if you download the new amiibo update for your game, you can't play the old version on it anymore. Meaning if you deleted the amiibo update and tried to play the game, the system will tell you to update the game and will refuse to start the game. Which makes sense considering if you were to do that, who knows what would happen to your game's stability.

Last edited:
It's for both. It doesn't get installed to the card though, but with the latest 3DS Update version: 11.1.0-34 it added a check so if you download the new amiibo update for your game, you can't play the old version on it anymore. Meaning if you deleted the amiibo update and tried to play the game, the system will tell you to update the game and will refuse to start the game. Which makes sense considering if you were to do that, who knows what would happen to your game's stability.

Thanks much for the info. I was concerned that the game might be a bit unstable if the DS is reading from both the cartridge and the downloaded file at the same time (or however that works), and was wondering if I should just buy a new physical game.

The Mini-Direct is coming soon! I'm so excited for this! I'm sure it will make me play NL again. :)

I happened to stumble across the physical copy on amazon.co.uk and pre-ordered it, while checking Disney Magical World 2 release date. Comes out 25th November. All so pre-ordered some of the new amiibo cards too, which come out November 11th.

I'm so excited for this! I really hope the cards will not only invite the villager to live in your town, but also to give you the ability to "lock" them from moving! It would be a huge relief to know that your favorite villagers wouldn't move away if you couldn't play every day!

Yeah, a bunch of additional details would be nice, like maybe adding more PWPs and fixing that horrendous bridge problem where you demolish a bridge but then can't put another back in its place. And just being more lenient with PWP placing in general.

I would really love this -- adding PWPs just by using the stylus would be a godsend, same for rearranging the furniture in homes without having to push or pull items. I'm also hoping we could renovate the exterior of our homes whenever we want with every option available, without going to Tom Nook every single day just to see if that door you want is available--they could remove this from the current office, and renovate it to look more like the office in HHD.

Also hoping that the update fixes certain furniture the way they work in HHD, like you can place items on top of the sink and kitchen island in HHD -- you currently can't do this in New Leaf.

Thanks much for the info. I was concerned that the game might be a bit unstable if the DS is reading from both the cartridge and the downloaded file at the same time (or however that works), and was wondering if I should just buy a new physical game.
Nope! If you let's say have a physical version of New Leaf and have a downloaded version of New Leaf the update you will download will work for both versions. :) The amiibo update you have will be the exact same version as the new "Welcome amiibo" edition so don't waste money!

Last edited:
Here's hoping they'll add the 8 emoticons from hhd to this update.

Some of them won't make sense in NL though, like the house complete one and Lottie's pose, unless of course the implement some way to make those relevant. I want the girls and boys pose though lol.

I hope we can adjust the camera like in HHD. That was so fun.

So if I was to keep my physical copy of the game without the update, would I still be able to play multiplayer with my digital copy w/ update?

Some of them won't make sense in NL though, like the house complete one and Lottie's pose, unless of course the implement some way to make those relevant. I want the girls and boys pose though lol.

I hope we can adjust the camera like in HHD. That was so fun.

I'd think they'd change the names of some of them.
I really wish Lottie's pose and the girl pose would come into NL.

So if I was to keep my physical copy of the game without the update, would I still be able to play multiplayer with my digital copy w/ update?

I believe so. I think the point of the physical copy is having all the features on the cartridge, so that it won't take up SD/microSD card space.

Im trying not to get my hopes up cause I doubt they'd do any major updates to a game this old but ... I KEEP HOPING FOR SOME MAJOR QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS T_T MORE QR CODE SLOTS PLEASE

Im trying not to get my hopes up cause I doubt they'd do any major updates to a game this old but ... I KEEP HOPING FOR SOME MAJOR QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS T_T MORE QR CODE SLOTS PLEASE

Don't bring my hopes down!!

gretchen.gif~c200

Nice! Now we know what the amiibo figures will do. Looks like the NPCs will have their matching furniture as well. Interesting to see them outside of their working place!

Back