• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Nintendo Direct 6/18/24 at 7 AM PDT/10 AM EDT

Honestly this was a pretty good direct with a lot of good titles in it.

-Mario and Luigi is surprising since the company that made them is bankrupt.
-NES championship looks like it could be fun, but not at retail price.
-Nintendo Sports was kind of a let down, but at least they're adding free updates.
-I would've rather gotten a new DK game instead of another port, but it's been ages since I play the Wii version so it's not like I would remember most of it anyway lol. Same with Luigi Mansion 2.
-I really enjoyed Live a Live with the 2D-HD remake so the Dragon Quest 1-3 getting the same treatment might be nice. I would really love to see Chrono Trigger get the 2D-HD makeover.
-Super Mario Party looks really fun!
-The new Zelda game having Zelda as the protagonist is interesting. I was wondering when they would give her the lead since Peach has already had two games like that.
-I'm really surprised Metroid Prime 4 finally has a date and real trailer. That game has been through development hell. Both Metroid Prime and Mario and Luigi are series that haven't had anything in over a decade.
-Oh and Stray. I want it. I hope with all the systems getting the game this series gets enough interest for a Stray 2. I want more kitty adventures in post apocalyptic worlds.

Overall this is a solid direct. I would love to see Earthbound get a remake in the style of the Link to the Past except do it with clay models like the character art.

Since LoZ Link to the Past+Four Swords is coming to the GBA Online and will have online multiplayer, anyone interested in setting up a play session? I’ve always wanted to play the GBA remake of Link to the Past with the Four Swords additions unlocked

I'm interested in the Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake that was announced, as well as the HD-2D remake of Dragon Quest I + Dragon Quest II that is scheduled for 2025. I got into the Dragon Quest series in the past couple years, so glad to see this.

I think this is the first time that second Ace Attorney Investigations game starring Miles Edgeworth is being released outside of Japan as part of this Ace Attorney Investigations Collection announced today? I'm only sort of familiar with the series; seen some people play some of the cases on YouTube or Twitch over the years, bought the games on the 3DS eShop before its closure and also got the first three games on the Switch when it was on sale at some point. I played some of it and need to get back into it. Anywho, yeah, that's neat.

I was interested in the announcement of Super Mario Party Jamboree until they mentioned the Joy-Con functionality and I realized that it was Super Mario Party as opposed to the traditional gameplay style we got in Mario Party Superstars. I dislike having to use the Joy-Cons more than necessary since they're so shoddily constructed and expensive to replace (I know you can send them to Nintendo to fix for free but I'd rather avoid the headache altogether), and prefer to utilize the Pro Controller for everything (other than Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where I use the GameCube controller). I'm still sorta kinda interested because the game itself looks neat, they're bringing back that Western Land map from Mario Party 2 and Boo looks to be a playable character. Maybe I'll get it? I dunno. It's iffy. I can't overstate how much I dislike the Joy-Cons.

Romancing SaGa 2: Revenge of the Seven looks like it could be fun; not sure whether I'll end up getting it since other stuff takes priority, but maybe.

The Metroid Prime 4: Beyond announcement was neat and, although I don't really play The Legend of Zelda games and prefer to just watch others play them, The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom looked neat as well.

Not a bad Direct, I'd say.

And you’d think Nintendo would notice how much the used copies of 3D All Stars are going for and rerelease the game at least digitally to combat the issue. They did it with the Smash Amiibo scalpers situation and in the end Nintendo ended up getting even more money as the scalpers’ stock of Lucario and Marth lost value as more people could pay the original price in a store close to them instead of eBay or Amazon. I’ve even seen people selling only the case of 3D All Stars for $50 and that is a problem. Fire Emblem’s original NES games limited time of never being seen again after the time specified when it would be pulled from shelves and the eShop I can understand as FE is a niche game that isn’t for everyone but come on, who doesn’t love Mario? Every Switch owner has at least one game starring the plumber and some are even buying copies of games that they already own on other consoles for full price. We really can’t let greedy secondhand sellers control the market for three of Mario’s most beloved games in the series.
It's a shame that my own parents sort of fall into the secondhand scalper category when it comes to them selling stuff on eBay. It does pay the bills, but I've got a personal problem with that and I'm not going to discuss it further here.

Also, just found out that the new Mario Party game requires Joy Con use. Blegh.

Last night I was hoping to myself that we would get some more maps for Mario Party Superstars as a DLC. Instead we get a new Mario Party game which is nice I guess but I don't want to have to spend $80 😭 if it's joy-con ONLY that will make the decision easy for me since I only have a Switch Lite but I've also read that the motion control games might be optional (?) so I'll have to really think on it.

I wasn't able to watch the stream live, though I made sure to watch the VOD spoiler-free as soon as I was able to. Pretty good Direct overall! My main takeaways are:
  • Getting a new Mario and Luigi RPG is definitely a surprise, given AlphaDream shut down a few years ago. Hopefully Mario and Luigi: Brothership will be able to live up to some of the earlier entries in the series.
  • lol that they are updating Switch Sports after not updating it for over a year. Basketball is a good addition, it's just funny to me!
  • Super Mario Party Jamboree is a surprise, but I'm glad we're getting a new Mario Party prior to the Switch's successor coming out! It does seem closer in nature to Mario Party Superstars than Super Mario Party, which is good! I was a bit apprehensive seeing there are motion controls for some of the mini-games, but apparently that doesn't extend to the entire game itself (unlike SMP) and is turned off for online play, which is definitely a relief. justice for my boy Dry Bones though
  • Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom is another surprise but definitely a must buy for me. It's wild we're getting an official game where Zelda's the main protagonist for the first time ever. I like the gameplay that has been shown off, it feels like it'll lead to some really interesting and creative moments. It's also nice to see them re-use the Link's Awakening remake engine/art style for this! Maybe there's still hope for Oracle of Ages/Seasons remakes in those styles, lol.
  • Ace Attorney Investigations Collection is definitely neat. I've always wanted to play those Miles Edgeworth games. It's the only non-Nintendo game from the Direct I'm interested in for sure getting, lol.
  • I'm happy we finally got some news on Metroid Prime 4: Beyond after years of silence about it! Definitely nice to see Sylux is indeed a part of it, given Corruption's post-ending scene. Definitely unfortunate we still need to wait until 2025 for it, but yay, Metroid Prime 4 is still real! Time to get excited for it!

The new Zelda game looks really interesting and a lot of fun. I would totally get this game if I still had my own switch without doubt.
I don't though.. but that's ok. You all will just have to share your experience of it here on the forums for me to read later 🤪
I did like seeing the RPG Mario game and seeing another Mario party game existing. I hope they meet people's expectations and hopes.

Lots to unpack here. I was interested in about half of the games. The stuff I found most interesting...
  • The new Legend of Zelda was the main highlight for me, a must buy. I love that we get another game with the Link's Awakening graphics. And finally a main game where we can play as Zelda. The echo ability seems interesting.
  • New Denpa Men is a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed it on 3DS. Especially since it's free I will definitely be playing it.
  • Hello Kitty Island Adventure is giving me Animal Crossing vibes, and I love Sanrio stuff anyway, I will most likely play it.
  • I played most of the M&L games, a new one for Switch seems great, but feel like I have enough other Mario games to play atm. Mario Party is always fun too.
  • No Silksong but the game MIO looks like it could be close enough.
  • Like many Nintendo Directs, too many RPGs to keep track of. I already have quite the backlog of RPGs, but I'd eventually like to play Farmagia, it looks unique.
  • I would probably play NES Championship eventually, I liked NES Remix on 3DS. Still hoping for a SNES version though.
  • Switch Sports update was underwhelming, but it's something. Kinda wish they'd bring back some more of the Sports Resort modes, frisbee dog was the best.
  • Kinda figured no Pokemon news, but I was hoping for it.

Last edited:
IMG_8521.jpeg

close enough, welcome back tomodachi life

I can't believe it's time for a new Mario Party already (it feels like MPS just came out 😭), but Super Mario Party Jamboree was definitely the highlight of the direct for me! I'll finally get to play as Monty Mole my beloved!!! The new and returning boards look like they'll be a lot of fun (I'm especially excited for Mega Wiggler's Tree Party!), and I'm very curious about the mini-games! I can't wait for the 20-player SMPJ TBT sessions.
IMG_2750.png

I'm surprisingly intrigued by the new Legend of Zelda game as well! I've never been all that interested in LoZ, but Echos of Wisdom may just change that! The art style is adorable, it kind of reminds me of Fisher-Price's Little People toys! The gameplay looks fun; I can't believe this is the first game where you get to play as Zelda, but it's a refreshing change! I'm not 100% sold on Echos of Wisdom yet, but I'm highly considering getting it!

also @Mistreil.... new collectible idea.....
IMG_8522.jpeg

I'm also eyeing Hello Kitty Island Adventure... lowkey.. 👀 I'm not a huge Sanrio girly, but HKIA looks adorable and seems like it could be a relaxing and fun cozy game for me to try out! I've seen plenty of positive reviews for the Apple Arcade version, so hopefully the Switch port will be just as good!

Final little notes: The Mario & Luigi: Brothership art style is super cute, I love how clean and colourful it is! I was also pleasantly surprised to see Fairy Tail 2! I had no idea a Fairy Tail Switch game existed. :'0 Fairy Tail was the first anime I watched and it was once one of my biggest interests. Even though I no longer watch it and am no longer really interested in anime in general anymore, Fairy Tail will always hold a special place in my heart! It still always makes me happy to see it or anything related to it!
Gray Fullbuster my beloved forever

I'm surprisingly intrigued by the new Legend of Zelda game as well! I've never been all that interested in LoZ, but Echos of Wisdom may just change that! The art style is adorable, it kind of reminds me of Fisher-Price's Little People toys! The gameplay looks fun; I can't believe this is the first game where you get to play as Zelda, but it's a refreshing change! I'm not 100% sold on Echos of Wisdom yet, but I'm highly considering getting it!
If you're interested in this game, you should check out Link's Awakening. It's done in the same style and was remastered from the original Gameboy version. It's a fun game with a cute style and I think these two games are following the same timeline along with Link to the Past (From the SNES and the prequel to what I think are these two games)

My previous post the night before the direct about Metroid Prime 4 was mostly a joke since I never believed to even hear mention of the game. To see an actual trailer is surprising after how long it's been stuck in development. Looking forward to that!

This direct was a little bit of a letdown for me (I’m surprised there was no mention of anything Pokemon OR Fantasy Life), but there were a few standouts. Mainly Mario Party (This one looks……actually good, maybe???) and Echoes of Wisdom. I might pick up Mario + Luigi from the library and give it a shot as well.

I’ve never been into Metroid, but the new installment is well deserved and I’m happy for the fans!

As others have said, the flood of remakes is a bummer and feels a little cheap. After several directs in a row with very little new content from Nintendo itself, it really does feel like it’s time to announce the next console and show off part of its early roster. Now I’m just hoping some of my years-old kickstarted video games finally arrive to hold me over…

PLEEK ME IN SHAMBLES AFTER NINTENDO DIDNT SHOW A NEW TOMO LIFE
1718763587243.gif

That direct sure was something! I enjoyed watching it all the way through and you guys…. IM SNATCHED YAY HELLO KITTY ISLAND ADVENTURE… FINALLY I CAN PLAY IT! I don’t have Apple Arcade on my iPad so I never got to play it but I will be able to soon!

The Mario & Luigi game looks soo cool and reminds me of all the fun I had playing Dream Team when I was younger! I gotta replay it sometime..

That Legend Of Zelda game looked so cute and I never got Link’s Awakening but now I might have to get both this and LA!

MARIO PARTY LOOKS SO COOL but I’m still saddened over Daisy’s VA replacement. I have been a Daisy stan since I was a child but Giselle is doing great! And actually talking about the game I am STOKED, looks so much better than Super and even Superstars!

I watched my first ever Nintendo Direct yesterday!
Looking forward to Looney Tunes, Donkey Kong (I've never played DK before!) , Mario Party Jamboree and Stray! Can't make up my mind about Funko, it sounds good, but will maybe wait to see some reviews before buying.

I've only just had a chance to watch the Direct, but my best friend did run me through the highlights this morning!

Mario & Luigi Brothership looks really cute! Unfortunate that it looks like it won't be co-op, as that's probably what would have convinced me to buy it.

I actually really like Nintendo Switch Sports, and I forgot how cute the playable characters are. I wasn't that keen to hear basketball was being added, but actually, it looks quite fun! I'm not sure it will convince to me to play it again though, but we'll see!

While I'm a great fan of Tolkien/Hobbits, I've generally avoided things like LOTR games. I don't really like the art, I don't really need another farming sim, buuuuut, I think my curiosity will probably get the better of me, and I'll buy it to just try it out lol.

Mario Party Jamboree is definitely one of the highlights of the Direct for me! 🎉🎉 The Rainbow Galleria and Mega Wiggler's Tree Party boards look really cute, and I'm excited for those! The Mario Party Mario's Rainbow Castle is looking pretty cute too. A lot of fun board options, and I'm pretty happen with seven boards overall! I'm still confused on the Joy Con situation, but it's not going to be make or break for me. The 20 player mode looks fun! I'm really happy about the number of playable character options! Ninji is very cute, but I will fight you all for Monty Mole, frfr. ❤️🫂

I never got around to buying and playing LoZ Link's Awakening because I had so many other games to play/catch up on, even though I wanted to and liked the style, so I'm pretty enthusiastic to get LoZ: Echoes of Wisdom! I like the art style, and I think the idea of making echoes is really interesting! I'm actually pretty excited for this!

While I'm a great fan of Tolkien/Hobbits, I've generally avoided things like LOTR games. I don't really like the art, I don't really need another farming sim, buuuuut, I think my curiosity will probably get the better of me, and I'll buy it to just try it out lol.

Can’t believe I forgot to mention this game! I also love Lord of the Rings and all of Tolkien’s other works, but I agree with you—something about the art design is Off. I really wish I found the game beautiful and engaging because I am SO the target market for a hobbit simulator. I’m wondering, though, what separates it from other farming sims beyond the aesthetic trappings of hobbit society. Decorate your house, grow crops, cook…..what does it have that will give it a uniquely Middle-Earth personality outside of word choice and imagery?

• mario & luigi looked pretty fun!
  • mio: memories in orbit looks beautiful, i’m intrigued!
  • HELLO KITTY ISLAND ADVENTURE!!! super hype, i’ve been intrigued ever since it came to apple arcade
  • super mario party jamboree looks so chaotic, i’m so excited for it haha i especially can’t wait to see how hectic it could make tbt sessions 🤭

For me, this was a really good direct! Lots of things I'm looking forward to here.
- I'm really looking forward to Mario and Luigi Brothership (this is also a push for me to finally play Dream Team..) and I really like the art style.
- Dragon Quest 3 2D-HD remake looks so good actually. They've finally turned down that damn bloom from Octopath omfg. I did think in the first few seconds, the purple-haired girl on the wall art was Hilda from A Link Between Worlds and it was a remake of that LOL which leads me on to my next point..
- PLAYABLE ZELDA WOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I am REALLY glad that it isn't another remake (which I initially thought it would be of A Link To the Past..), super cute, yay being Zelda!
- METROID PRIME 4 LOOKS SO GOOD. So happy we've finally seen a snippet of it, title, and release year for 2025. very excited for this!

Those are the main things I'm looking forward to. I think that new Not Danganronpa game looks pretty good but not sure about tactics being the main thing of it. Fantasian also looks cool, I'd like to give that a go. I also think that Mio game looked really intriguing, like a puzzle-adventure type game? Yeah, lots of things on show here, I was very happy with this one overall!

As always, I go into these things without getting my hopes high or even off the ground to begin with, and without much expectations for anything I'd actually be interested in, but eventually I do always end up checking it out, just to see what goes on. And hey, hey, hey! Wouldn't you know it? We're getting a new Zelda game. And not just a Zelda game, but a Zelda game in which we actually play as Zelda (obviously not counting the horrid CDI Wand of Gamelon, but this is also NOT the first game in which we'll get to control Zelda. That officially happened in LoZ Spirit Tracks, a really damn good game I'd love to see a remake of) but the absolute first thing that sparked a happy feeling in my brain was that it's in the same chibi, plastic toy style of Link's Awakening, and I really really LOVE that style! It's so cute and has a ton of charm.

So as I was watching the Echoes of Wisdom trailer, it got me thinking several things: is this going to take place right after Link's Awakening? In the same world? Which Hyrule even is this? It must be the same Hyrule as in A Link to the Past since the Link in that game and the one in Link's Awakening are the same Link, but then again it could be set in a whole different Hyrule...or some kind of alternate timeline.

Anyway, I immediately said to myself: "So Nintendo is really going the route of giving their princesses a leading role in their own game? First Princess Peach Showtime, and now Zelda gets her own game? Very cool." But truth be told, I don't know how to feel about the actual Echoes of Wisdom mechanic. The whole time I couldn't help but feel it was too gimmicky and clunky, and too...Animal Crossing-esque and Dragon Quest Builders-esque if that makes sense? Why can't Zelda just have a magical staff that makes things go ZAP and BOOM? Why does she and Princess Peach need to have a random little fairy companion? Why is Nintendo calling everything an echo now lol they did it in Smash Ultimate, where they called the copycat fighters "echoes"

But that's just me being nitpicky and silly, I always tend to think too deeply about stuff. I like how this Zelda wears a robe much like the Zelda from Twilight Princess did. It's like she's going incognito to save her kingdom, like a superhero.

I like to imagine that this game is basically Nintendo saying: "You all thought Princess Zelda would be a playable main character in Tears of the Kingdom. How cute. Well, we were saving that idea for this game, so here ya go."

Also, Mario & Luigi Brothership ❤️💚 nice to see the franchise is coming to Switch.

I watched my first ever Nintendo Direct yesterday!
Looking forward to Looney Tunes, Donkey Kong (I've never played DK before!) , Mario Party Jamboree and Stray! Can't make up my mind about Funko, it sounds good, but will maybe wait to see some reviews before buying.
I love Stray, it's such a cute game!

cf741cc8486faee609a72baae4341c7e.jpg

giphy.gif

The Mario & Luigi game looks soo cool and reminds me of all the fun I had playing Dream Team when I was younger! I gotta replay it sometime..

That Legend Of Zelda game looked so cute and I never got Link’s Awakening but now I might have to get both this and LA!
I know, it's been like what 15 years? It's crazy that Nintendo decided to make another after the original company claimed bankruptcy. I think you'll really like Link's Awakening. It stays true to the original from the Gameboy but they really remastered everything to be so much better. It's sort of like what Pokemon was trying to do with Diamond/Pearl but they missed the mark on that.

So as I was watching the Echoes of Wisdom trailer, it got me thinking several things: is this going to take place right after Link's Awakening? In the same world? Which Hyrule even is this? It must be the same Hyrule as in A Link to the Past since the Link in that game and the one in Link's Awakening are the same Link, but then again it could be set in a whole different Hyrule...or some kind of alternate timeline.
Someone shared a picture of Zelda staring at the kingdom and were able to triangulate where she was from the map from Link to the Past. I agree the mechanics seem like they might make the game too easy. So hopefully there's some limits or challenges. It looks fun though!

GQXZ43wbQAAW2Te.jpgGQXZ45GakAAZO9V.jpg

I love Stray, it's such a cute game!

cf741cc8486faee609a72baae4341c7e.jpg

giphy.gif

I know, it's been like what 15 years? It's crazy that Nintendo decided to make another after the original company claimed bankruptcy. I think you'll really like Link's Awakening. It stays true to the original from the Gameboy but they really remastered everything to be so much better. It's sort of like what Pokemon was trying to do with Diamond/Pearl but they missed the mark on that.

Someone shared a picture of Zelda staring at the kingdom and were able to triangulate where she was from the map from Link to the Past. I agree the mechanics seem like they might make the game too easy. So hopefully there's some limits or challenges. It looks fun though!

View attachment 569956View attachment 569957
That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing this! ✨ I had a feeling it would be A Link to the Past, and this confirms it.

Thinking about it now, I actually really would have been more excited had this been a remake of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons using the same LA engine instead. Those for me would have been instant day one purchases.

Back