• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Nintendo Direct Sept. 2021 Discussion Thread

That was an interesting direct. So some notes I have about it:
  • Not surprised too much about N64 games being added to the NSO service, given that we already knew about the new Switch controller and it felt like N64 made the most sense for it, though Genesis being added as well definitely came out of left field for me. Even though it'll cost more to play them, I'm tempted to upgrade, ngl, given how many good memories I have with a lot of those games and how we'd get online multiplayer with games like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart 64. But man, the fact that Banjo-Kazooie is one of the future games already planned is an excellent sign that we'll be getting even more Rare games, which I'm very happy about. Also, god, I love being able to play Majora's Mask on yet another gosh dang console. now please do the GB/GBC/GBA and GCN games next, Nintendo
  • I'm excited for Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Definitely excited at the prospect of a Kirby game in a 3D world, and the environments they've showed so far look pretty interesting.
  • Glad to see them announce the remaining 3 boards for Mario Party Superstars (Woody Woods from Mario Party 3, Yoshi's Tropical Island from Mario Party 1, Horror Land from Mario Party 2). Definitely a solid mix of boards with those 3 and Peach's Birthday Cake and Space Land.
  • Castlevania Advance Collection was known about, but still, I'll have to get it at some point.
  • Disco Elysium is a game I heard a lot of good things about, glad to see it come onto the Switch, definitely need to get it and play it at some point
  • New Splatoon 3 footage was cool
  • Bayonetta 3 was heavily rumoured, but it getting officially announced is cool. I haven't played any of the Bayonetta games before, lol, may end up getting this one, we'll see.
  • Neat that I get to look forward to the AC Direct in October now, lol.
  • I actually recognized some names for the Mario movie cast, so that's probably a good sign, lol.

The Kirby game looked better than I expected. I probably won't pick it up full price, but I'm curious about it now at least.

Why is the Genesis/Megadrive controller that they're releasing the 3 button version? That's really stupid. The initial set of games they're releasing are fine, but there are some games that really need the 6 button version.

I know they do it for nostalgia for some people I guess, but that's my only complaint about the Sega Genesis Mini that Sega released - that it came with the 3 button controller. Street Fighter 2 and Eternal Champions (present on the Mini) need the 6 button controller.

The new 3D Kirby game is nice.
Nogami looks hilarious at the end of Splatoon 3 segment, but like I said before, give me Salmon Run.
The only thing that really interests me is Bayonetta 3 (as I both completed Bayo 1 and 2 100%). I'm kind of iffy about the game graphics and performance though.

Is anyone else disappointed about the N64 games on a new Switch plan? I personally prefer to own my games so the fact they're locking them to a high tier paid subscription is actually not appealing to me. I wish they would just release them on the eShop like they did with the Wii U. It actually blows my mind they are making a higher paid subscription when we barely get any benefits on the current one. This should be included with it in my opinion.

I know it is not a gane but did everybody hear about the mario film any thoughts on it

I am a bit optimistic. I see people up in arms about the cast but no one has heard any voice clips so far of what it looks like. They're getting angry without even seeing/hearing anything about the movie.

Not a bad lineup of games, there were quite a few that isn’t really my thing though. I’ll have my eyes on Kirby and Dying Light, and definitely excited to see what new content is coming to New Horizons.

charlie day as Luigi though… green man

Is anyone else disappointed about the N64 games on a new Switch plan? I personally prefer to own my games so the fact they're locking them to a high tier paid subscription is actually not appealing to me. I wish they would just release them on the eShop like they did with the Wii U. It actually blows my mind they are making a higher paid subscription when we barely get any benefits on the current one. This should be included with it in my opinion.

I am a bit optimistic. I see people up in arms about the cast but no one has heard any voice clips so far of what it looks like. They're getting angry without even seeing/hearing anything about the movie.
I know I don’t understand no one know what the voices etc will be like I am hearing that people don’t like the actor playing mario he is very good in marvel films very good

But man, the fact that Banjo-Kazooie is one of the future games already planned is an excellent sign that we'll be getting even more Rare games, which I'm very happy about.
MY HEART— I was stunned to see Banjo-Kazooie at the end of their list of upcomings! I feel like they put it last on purpose. Seeing that, I'm really hoping for Diddy Kong Racing! I'll likely upgrade my sub when there are more games added. The more multiplayer ones, the better too! I'm glad they're going to be able to be played both locally and online (especially since it's an online sub).

I'm in the same boat. I've never liked the way they've handled the availability of older games on the Switch. I can see that it's nice for some people, but personally I'd much prefer the wide library of virtual console games we can personally choose to purchase, as we had on the 3DS, Wii, and Wii U, instead of having a smaller, catered selection. I've no interest in the new subscription tier for the N64, and the Genesis selection has some unique games, but a few of them you can already own if you've purchased the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics game (which I do).

---

As for the rest of the Direct:

- I loved to see confirmation of the inclusion of Horror Land in Mario Party Superstars.

- Brewster's reveal and the announcement of an Animal Crossing direct next month was great, and I'm looking forward to seeing what will be announced.

- It was nice to see more of Triangle Strategy.

- Shadowrun Trilogy looks neat, I might check it out.

- I might have to see about picking up the CastleVania Advance Collection.

You guys won't believe the strange dream I had last night. It involved Nintendo unveiling details about the upcoming Mario film in collaboration with Illumination and it was overloaded with a celebrity voice cast. Chris Pratt played Mario and Seth Rogen played Donkey Kong. It was actually the strangest thing my mind has ever conjured, and I shudder to think of what perils await in the alternative universe where this film is an unfortunate reality.

Anyway, time to check on the latest news from Nintendo.

Oh.

We are truly living in the darkest timeline.

I've enjoyed reaction videos for the direct more than the direct itself. 😅

Wasn't expecting Kirby to make a grand appearance, but it looks amazing so far. Freedom of movement will be an interesting change. I'll be picking this up when it launches!

I have Triangle Strategy on my radar because I enjoyed Octopath Traveler. It's promising to see them taking and implementing feedback from the demo, though I'm not sure I'll be prioritizing it in March.

Getting excited for SMT V, RF5, and Mario Party Super Stars as well. 🙌

oh boy that direct was something..
  • finally an acnh update and a direct. personally brewster wasn't my most needed return though I love the charm that comes with it. I'm just excited to see what they've been up to.
  • The cast for the mario has me dead. at first i wasn't going to see it but now i'm just intrigued.
  • wasn't expecting splat3n news. the new specials are interesting and i love the story mode focus (furry octarians is priceless). also wasn't expecting a small redesign for callie.

Back