• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion

Then stop? They have games for those 720 something Pokemon, all the current games out now. Designs are fine. And people constantly picking older Pokemon is the reason many of you can't remember the new stuff, because you're too busy whining about the old ones.

I don't mind getting new Pokemon added into the mix, it keeps things fresh. I do mind when they're literally just throwing things together in hopes of satisfying the players. The original Pokemon were clever and well thought out, the legendaries all had deep backstories and hidden locations in the game, but now it's all just random mashup and "event downloads".

Why? Because, as usual, everyone is so impatient that they have to have the games now instead of waiting for everything to be expanded upon and made nice.

I don't mind getting new Pokemon added into the mix, it keeps things fresh. I do mind when they're literally just throwing things together in hopes of satisfying the players. The original Pokemon were clever and well thought out, the legendaries all had deep backstories and hidden locations in the game, but now it's all just random mashup and "event downloads".

Why? Because, as usual, everyone is so impatient that they have to have the games now instead of waiting for everything to be expanded upon and made nice.

I'd hardly call it throwing things together, if they did that they'd be taking bribes to accept Fakemon. The current Pokemon are as original as the originals, very little had changed that much outside of legendary Pokemon looking slightly more intricate looking. There is still deep backstories and you could argue Zygarde was hidden. Them not including hidden locations like D/P/Pt events was more than likely a design choice made to combat Action Replay and other hacks. It was honestly pretty clear with D/P that they didn't like the fact people could hack the event items in and visit those Pokemon before the item was given away.

They have at least two different teams working on a set of Pokemon games at any given time, I seriously doubt they caved to some "gimmie" attitude. If anything they choose to cater to it because they are aiming ever constantly to the young demographic, while hoping the old guard continues to hang around.

Apart from the arguments given by Tom, you should think of the tagline Pokemon used in G1 and G6.
"Gotta catch 'em all!"
Part of the entire sales plan of a new Pokemon generation is to introduce new Pokemon for people to collect. If they don't introduce new Pokemon, then there's a large probability that sales will tank. Pokemon still sells at around 7 million units per version. Just halving that would be a big blow.

Regardless, we're getting new Pokemon. Magearna has already been revealed, and they've teased that new bird Pokemon. So yes, they are doing "that thing".

(Also, please stop arguing "the original" Pokemon were 100% amazing. Putting eyeballs on a Poke Ball or eyeballs on goo is just plain stupid.)

I don't know why people focus on the bad Pokemon to disregard a generation sometimes. Every generation has some less-than-great ones, including the first.

Snake and Cobra spelled backwards, anyone?

I'd hardly call it throwing things together, if they did that they'd be taking bribes to accept Fakemon. The current Pokemon are as original as the originals, very little had changed that much outside of legendary Pokemon looking slightly more intricate looking. There is still deep backstories and you could argue Zygarde was hidden. Them not including hidden locations like D/P/Pt events was more than likely a design choice made to combat Action Replay and other hacks. It was honestly pretty clear with D/P that they didn't like the fact people could hack the event items in and visit those Pokemon before the item was given away.

They have at least two different teams working on a set of Pokemon games at any given time, I seriously doubt they caved to some "gimmie" attitude. If anything they choose to cater to it because they are aiming ever constantly to the young demographic, while hoping the old guard continues to hang around.

Some of the Fakemon are actually really interesting, but of course it's not like Nintendo to listen to fans. And while the newer Pokemon do have their own backstories and whatnot, it feels significantly... less than before, if that makes sense. They don't have the spark that the other generations had, but that might just be me. I don't see why they would stop the whole "hidden Pokemon" thing. The systems these days are "unhackable" (meaning harder to hack, of course) so it shouldn't really be a problem. Of course we'll get to the point where the 3DS is hacked left and right, but that means Nintendo should hurry up and release things quick rather than waiting years to do so.

It's all my opinion of course, but as someone who has played every generation, I just get this rather unsatisfied feeling from the newer gens. Even ORAS was slightly disappointing, and I'm not really sure why. I think it's because a majority of Pokemon were unobtainable, requiring so much trading to be done. I only know like maybe 20 of the X/Y Pokemon because of how little they appeared in ORAS.

Apart from the arguments given by Tom, you should think of the tagline Pokemon used in G1 and G6.
"Gotta catch 'em all!"
Part of the entire sales plan of a new Pokemon generation is to introduce new Pokemon for people to collect. If they don't introduce new Pokemon, then there's a large probability that sales will tank. Pokemon still sells at around 7 million units per version. Just halving that would be a big blow.

Regardless, we're getting new Pokemon. Magearna has already been revealed, and they've teased that new bird Pokemon. So yes, they are doing "that thing".

(Also, please stop arguing "the original" Pokemon were 100% amazing. Putting eyeballs on a Poke Ball or eyeballs on goo is just plain stupid.)

Yes of course, but as I mentioned, that's rather impossible seeing as more and more Pokemon are becoming unobtainable. Trading and transferring is fine, but having to use a paid app like Pokemon Bank to do so is ridiculous. The slogan is "Gotta catch 'em all" not "Gotta trade/transfer 'em all".
Also, I would honestly like to see the Pokemon franchise tank. That would be incredible. As massive as it is, I don't think a few angry fans crying over a lack of new Pokemon will impact the sales.

Another bird Pokemon? I know I'm not the only one thinking how tired that is. It's fine for a while but I swear things start getting... repetitive. And not in a fun way, like how you get to thwart the new team.

I never said anything about "100% amazing" I said they were clever, and while some like Voltorb and Magnemite were pretty stupid, no one can argue that they are classic. Not perfect, but memorable.

I don't know why people focus on the bad Pokemon to disregard a generation sometimes. Every generation has some less-than-great ones, including the first.

Snake and Cobra spelled backwards, anyone?

There's always some bad and always some good, but unfortunately the bad puts people off sometimes.

To me now, that would seem stupid, but to little 7yo me, realizing that Ekans was snake backwards was literally the greatest thing ever.

Some of the Fakemon are actually really interesting, but of course it's not like Nintendo to listen to fans. And while the newer Pokemon do have their own backstories and whatnot, it feels significantly... less than before, if that makes sense. They don't have the spark that the other generations had, but that might just be me. I don't see why they would stop the whole "hidden Pokemon" thing. The systems these days are "unhackable" (meaning harder to hack, of course) so it shouldn't really be a problem. Of course we'll get to the point where the 3DS is hacked left and right, but that means Nintendo should hurry up and release things quick rather than waiting years to do so.

It's all my opinion of course, but as someone who has played every generation, I just get this rather unsatisfied feeling from the newer gens. Even ORAS was slightly disappointing, and I'm not really sure why. I think it's because a majority of Pokemon were unobtainable, requiring so much trading to be done. I only know like maybe 20 of the X/Y Pokemon because of how little they appeared in ORAS.

Yes of course, but as I mentioned, that's rather impossible seeing as more and more Pokemon are becoming unobtainable. Trading and transferring is fine, but having to use a paid app like Pokemon Bank to do so is ridiculous. The slogan is "Gotta catch 'em all" not "Gotta trade/transfer 'em all".
Also, I would honestly like to see the Pokemon franchise tank. That would be incredible. As massive as it is, I don't think a few angry fans crying over a lack of new Pokemon will impact the sales.

Another bird Pokemon? I know I'm not the only one thinking how tired that is. It's fine for a while but I swear things start getting... repetitive. And not in a fun way, like how you get to thwart the new team.

I never said anything about "100% amazing" I said they were clever, and while some like Voltorb and Magnemite were pretty stupid, no one can argue that they are classic. Not perfect, but memorable.

There's always some bad and always some good, but unfortunately the bad puts people off sometimes.

To me now, that would seem stupid, but to little 7yo me, realizing that Ekans was snake backwards was literally the greatest thing ever.
Game Freak/TPCi owns Pokemon with Nintendo holding a smaller majority stake. While some Fakemon are nice to look at, I don't think some of them have a place in the games. While I'd concede that X/Y lacked the mythos that previous games have had, it's the only entries where it's really been lacking. They're not unhackable, there's people who are able to get fake stuff in. It's entirely GF/TPCi's decision to delay events, which they're slowly trying to be better about given international releases of the games at least.

Sounds more like you're burnt out from Pokemon and need a break. Eerily familiar with this rant, mostly because that was (and still is) me when it comes to D/P. The games were an awful introduction for the DS, the region lackluster, and everything felt meh. Honestly though X/Y only had like 60 new Pokemon not including Megas and if you only played the remakes this generation why would you expect to see a lot of X/Y Pokemon in OR/AS?

I mean for $5 a year, Pokemon Bank isn't that bad. They've given out HA Starter Pokemon, Celebi, and other events while keeping a plethora of extra Pokemon safely stored in the "cloud". Pokemon would never not introduce new ones, if anything they'd take a page from X/Y and only do a smaller amount compared to previous generations. Plus trading has always been an integral part of Pokemon because it encourages socializing which has become one of the core themes of Pokemon and is likely the core theme before Pokemon Go.

And god said well man I've made a few birds but I dunno... they're all kinda boring. With those wings and beaks and ****. Always going to be the basic bird Pokemon. Step outside, look around. What are you going to notice first wildlife wise? Bird? Squirrel? Someone's dog? Bug maybe? Wow this life thing quite bland.

I'd argue Trubbish is memorable along with Vanilite if only because everyone *****es about them so much.

Honestly you sound burnt out. Take a break from Pokemon for a Gen or two and come back. It's fine.

In light of some new statements I think it's appropriate to delve into an earlier post.

The backstory behind Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres in Gen 1: ... (That's right, there was none.)
The only legendaries that got a mythos tied to them were Mewtwo and Mew, and only in Cinnabar Mansion. One tiny part of the game, and it's something that people could've missed entirely because it wasn't mandatory to read those books.
As for hidden locations: You'd see Zapdos when going through the Power Plant (which was mandatory). You'd see Moltres when going through Victory Road (which was mandatory). For Mewtwo, Professor Oak tells you outright there's some powerful Pokemon at the end of the newly opened Cerulean Cave. Mew was an event download. Articuno was in Seafoam Islands, but I'll concede that a lot of players probably didn't run into it by chance. So that's it. One Pokemon with a "hidden" location, and barely any mythos at all.
I don't know where you get your opinions on X/Y from, seeing as you haven't even played it, but Xerneas/Yveltal have tons more story tied to them than Mewtwo/Mew ever had in G1 (even FR/LG).

Actually, Pokemon fans are fine with waiting. If they really went "NOW!!!" then Sun/Moon would have been released last year, or Z, or X2/Y2. Instead, GF decided to drop G6 due to the negative reception and go all-in on G7. The last time there was a two-year break between games was 2006 (release of D/P) and 2008 (release of Platinum). So when mistakes are made, it's not because of the fans demanding it, it's because of TPC/GF/Nintendo making a mistake deciding when to release their game. After all, "it's not like Nintendo to listen to fans".

The trading has been an integral part of Pokemon since the start of the entire franchise. It's even like the #1 reason they decided to develop Pokemon on the Game Boy rather than the NES/SNES: the Game Boy had a Link Cable. By doing this and creating two versions, they're able to bring Pokemon players together to trade and battle, but also talk about the things they like. So while it's not necessarily "catch", the concept of trading is entirely part of that catchphrase.

As for Pokemon Bank: it's entirely your choice if you use it or not. I enjoy using it so I don't have my Pokemon scattered all over the place. If you want to transfer your Pokemon but don't want to use Bank... trade with people.

Where does the concept of "the original Pokemon" stop, though? Regardless of how it's used, it sounds stupid. It's short-sighted, and it makes it sound like all later gens are unoriginal. G5 used a Pokemon design that dates from G1 (Tirtouga). Is that included in this notion of "the original Pokemon"? Of course it isn't. And who knows how many other of the later Pokemon designs date from that period?

You said that "the original Pokemon" were clever and well thought out. That's some real nostalgia speaking right there. You're focusing on a few bad Pokemon (in your opinion) from later gens while ignoring the bad that's been there since the beginning. A Poke Ball with eyes is not any more clever or well thought out than a key ring with a face. Nor is a pile of goo with a face any better than that key ring, whether it's Grimer or Muk or Ditto.

But I think that it all comes down to this:
Also, I would honestly like to see the Pokemon franchise tank. That would be incredible.
You're a person whose Gen 1 fetish won't be satisfied by Game Freak, and for good reason. The franchise needs to move forward, as any franchise does. If your idea of "Nintendo listening to the fans" is them literally not making anything new in the Pokemon franchise, then I'm really glad that they don't listen. Pokemon is better for the changes it's gone through over the years, even if the last two installments felt a bit lackluster. But if there's anything that can be said for X/Y, it's that they at least weren't as bad as Red/Blue.

I honestly can't believe a harmless comment exploded into such a hostile argument. I'm not going to continue seeing as I really don't know why I'm being attacked anymore.

I don't have a "Gen 1 fetish" or anything ridiculous like that. I'm not some weird pervert, I am simply a fan who has played since the very beginning and finds a sense of nostalgia within the older titles. The older titles will always be superior to me, you don't have to like that. While I am not entirely satisfied with the current Gen, I am hoping this new one will be better. Most of what I have said is my own opinion, yet you keep calling me out for having them (dunno if you like can't handle other opinions or...?). Not sure why, but whatever.

Also, despite my username, I am not as big of a Pokemon fanatic as I should be. I simply play for fun, not even for competitive reasons. I enjoy the stories and every little detail they add in, which is why when things are lacking I tend to get upset. Anyone who dives too deep into this franchise (competitive-wise or other) needs to get a life imo. It's just a game. :)

I wouldn't really call Voltorb or Muk anymore inventive than Garbodor or Kleki. I honestly dont get why people whine about how uncreative they are when we have literally been getting te same sort of stuff since Gen 1

I am simply a fan who has played since the very beginning and finds a sense of nostalgia within the older titles. The older titles will always be superior to me, you don't have to like that. While I am not entirely satisfied with the current Gen, I am hoping this new one will be better. Most of what I have said is my own opinion, yet you keep calling me out for having them (dunno if you like can't handle other opinions or...?). Not sure why, but whatever.
I've also played since the beginning. I also am not satisfied with the current gen. But I'm also not gonna blanket myself with nostalgia and judge the new stuff at a higher standard than I do the old.

Also, having opinions is fine, but when you say stuff as if they're absolute certainties, it gets on people's nerves. That's also why I went into your earlier post: the supposed opinions in there were stated as if they are the undeniable truth. They aren't. Gen 1 was where it all started, but I think in retrospect, a lot of people can see the plethora of bugs and glitches, the crappy type chart, the weird way stats worked, and so on, and say "Yeah, they really weren't that good".

Personally I don't give a crap if they add more Pok?mon or not.. Just focus on the goddamn evolving stone crap really.

I have a soft spot for Gen 2 because that's the one I've most fond memories with but hey if they want to create another pile of goo what I am to say to that. As long as the layout and gameplay are good I'm in one way or another.

Serebii.net ‏@SerebiiNet 12m12 minutes ago

Serebii Update: First TV aired footage of Pok?mon Sun & Moon to air on variety show, Pok?nchi next week http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Oooh can't wait! That's so soon *__*

I was crazy excited when I heard there was going to be a new game out this year! I guess they have to do something big seeing it's their 20th anniversary XD

Back