Pokémon TBT's Favourite Starter Tourney: Grass Edition 🌱

Which Grass Starter is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While its Speed stat leaves a bit to be desired, I feel like I want to say Decidueye. It's an owl that is an archer and that's so awesome. Birds are my favorite types of animals in the world and owls are pretty neat. It's also the fully evolved form of my favorite first-form starter, Rowlet. Both standard Decidueye and Hisuian Decidueye are cool in their own ways and I'm glad that Decidueye got the opportunity to have a regional form.

Close runners-up are Torterra and Serperior. Torterra's design and its Grass/Ground dual-typing are both nice, and when I'm playing a Sinnoh game, it's usually a toss-up between Turtwig and Chimchar (and I prefer Infernape to have its Iron Fist Hidden Ability, which isn't there in the older games, so Torterra has the advantage by default). As for Serperior, its design is really sleek and neat and its Hidden Ability of Contrary makes it pretty fun. Serperior was also the first starter I really got into after coming back from my break from the series that spanned from Gen 3 until coming back with HeartGold/SoulSilver. Serperior was definitely my favorite of the Gen 5 starters.

---

My thoughts on the others:

- Venusaur: Gotta love the classic. I'm pretty sure Bulbasaur was my first starter ever back in the Red/Blue days, the whole evolutionary line looks cool and I like the Grass/Poison dual-typing.

- Meganium: While its design is very nice, it's never really been my thing due to it being so defense-oriented in its stats. Defensive Pokémon are certainly important to use and they have their place on a team, but it has admittedly never been my preference.

- Sceptile: While its stats are nice, I never really liked it that much until it got its Mega Evolution. It's not bad, but I honestly prefer its pre-evolutions Treecko and Grovyle. None of the Hoenn starters are really among my favorites though.

- Chesnaught: I love knight aesthetics, so I think Chesnaught is pretty neat and I really like its Hidden Ability of Bulletproof. The Kalos starters are all solid with their D&D/RPG archetype designs.

- Rillaboom: I honestly haven't used it on a team yet, but I plan to in the future. It has a neat design and concept.

- Meowscarada: While I sympathize, and agree to a limited extent, with the people who were disappointed that Sprigatito's evolutionary line didn't remain quadrupedal, I honestly really like both Floragato and Meowscarada. The masquerade-inspired design, Flower Trick, its Speed; it's so good! I was unsure whether to put Meowscarada up there in third place instead of Serperior since Meowscarada's stats are more my thing, but Serperior's design and Contrary gave it the edge.

---

If I were to rank them all:

Decidueye > Torterra > Serperior > Meowscarada > Venusaur > Chesnaught > Rillaboom (currently) > Sceptile > Meganium

It looks like a certain green dinosaur is going to win this round, which is why I decided to do Grass first. The Fire and Water rounds this weekend will be a lot more interesting!

Now...it may come as a surprise but I won't be voting in any of these rounds nor the final (the price to pay for being an unbiased host) so I will give my thoughts on each starter.

Venusaur: The original Grass starter. I've always liked Bulbasaur and its evolutions. Each design is prefectly well done. The Grass/Poison combo benefited the evolutionary line a lot after Bug was no longer supereffective against Poison in Gen 2. Its HA Chlorophyll made it better in battling and its Mega with Thick Fat was pretty good as well. I've always chosen Squirtle in the Kanto games because its my fav but Bulbasaur is still great.

Meganium: Not a fan of it. It was very bad in the Johto games. In Silver I chose Cyndaquil and in HGSS I chose Totodile both times. Its design is ok but for me there are more interesting designs. GF made a lot of Gen 2 Grass types very round and too feminine for my tastes. Bayleef is probably the best evolution in the Chikorita line.

Sceptile: Like Gen 2, I preferred the Water and Fire starters more. I really like Mega Sceptile though. Its Grass/Dragon type combo was before the Applin line so it was very unique at the time. Its design is also my favourite of the Gen 3 starter Megas.

Torterra: I really love Torterra! I have a thing for turtles and so Gen 4 was difficult for me because I thought then and I still think now that they are the best group of starters in overall design. Torterra really captures Grass/Ground very well. Its also the most "zen" starter with the tree on its back and I love zen aesthetics a lot.

Serperior: It goes without saying. If I could vote in the poll I would have voted for Serperior. Yes, its a snake but like others have mentioned, its Contrary ability is very unique. I have used Serperior multiple times in B2W2 and never got tired of using it. With Tera, its Contrary ability goes to the next level.

Chesnaught: I will admit. I am a Greninja fanboy and Quilladin turned me off when I first saw it. However, Chesnaught is a really good design. I think it would've been better if it was a Steel type instead of a Fighting type but I get it. It fits the "fighter" RPG class very well. I am really hoping it gets an awesome Mega in Legends ZA. The Kalos Starters really should've gotten ones.

Decidueye: I love Rowlet! Probably more than Snivy if you can believe it. Decidueye is also very cool. Its archer theme is awesome and the Ghost typing was welcomed since I had fears before S/M release that Rowlet would remain a Flying type. Too slow for my tastes but all of the Alolan starters are also pretty slow. Hisuian Decidueye is inferior to the Alolan one imo and brings it a little down. Decidueye and Serperior are definitely close at my top favourites with Serperior edging it out but Decidueye could overtake in the future. We'll see....

Rillaboom: My least favourite. Never used one in a playthrough and probably never will since Cinderace can take you all the way. Yes, Grassy Surge and Glide is a good combo but...I just don't like it. Its design...could do some work.

Meowscarada: Didn't like it at first but I've come around. Don't like humanoid furry mons very much but its design is good. Protean getting the nerf hurt it a little but its still ok in battle. Not bad but not good. Its still the newest so I need more time to process what I think of it.

Last edited:
Venusaur has a massive soft spot in my heart simply because Bulbasaur 🐸🌱💚 but I also would vote for Meganium, Sceptile and Torterra. I think Serperior is cool too, since snakes are awesome. Chestnaught isn't so bad either because its hidden ability Bulletproof carries it (should have totally been Grass/Steel imo but I see why it's Fighting type. I'm just tired of starters being dual Fighting lol) but I'm mainly enchanted by Chespin's adorable design.

Decidueye is really great! Rowlet is just so endearing. Rillaboom is fine, I suppose. It gets a pass from the whole "humanoid" starter formula GameFreak thinks is all the RageCandyBar with the kids, because it's a primate so it doesn't look jarring. I actually dig those leafy green locks and the concept of music + plants. Grookey is super cute.

Meowscarada......just toss it into Mt. Chimney and watch it burn in agony. I ****ing despise that thing lmao, even though I actually really do like the Floragato stage. I'm neutral to Sprigatito. I wish that the final stage kept the Spanish name theming around flowers/herbs/plants. Kind of like the way I feel about Meowstic being called Meowstic and not "Mysticat" (mystic + cat, in case the math is too hard)

I originally voted for meganium, but after remembering that my Rillaboom carried me through my first Sword playthrough and that it became my favorite Galar Pokemon, I voted for it (in actuality I felt sorry for it and vote swapped, it is still my favorite Galar 'mon!)

Less than 24 hours to go! Be sure to vote for your favourite 🌱 starter!

I went with Meganium! Venusaur would be a close second in terms of final evolutions. What can I say, I love pink, green, and flowers! 🌺💚

All I have to say about Meganium is... it would be funny if they brought it back and gave it a mega evolution. Then we'd all be calling it Mega Meganium! 😂

The poll is now closed and the votes are in!

And the winner is….

🎉🦕🎉 Meganium! 🎉🦕🎉

1723818355297.png

It may be objectively the worst Grass starter—and objectively the worst overall starter—but it is the winner of this unofficial TBT preliminary round as TBT’s Favourite Grass Starter!

Meganium will face off against the winners of the Fire and Water preliminary rounds that will start later today so stay tuned!

Thank you for all that have voted!

wow poor Rillaboom. do people really hate it that much? Congrats to Meganium for winning regardless!

Meganium is my favourite grass starter so glad to see it take the win, love anything dinosaur related and sauropods are my favourite so Meganium is perfect, plus i just think it’s really cute as well.
Venusaur would be a close second, my original starter when i first played the games so have a soft spot for it.

For the sake of the poll I’ll vote Meganium because they are the best looking out of the bunch, but bulbasaur will always be my favorite grass starter.
Post automatically merged:

oh wait I can’t read, the polls already closed LOL

For the sake of the poll I’ll vote Meganium because they are the best looking out of the bunch, but bulbasaur will always be my favorite grass starter.
Post automatically merged:

oh wait I can’t read, the polls already closed LOL
Yes the poll is closed but if Bulbasaur is your favourite starter you would've voted for Venusaur. Be sure to read the op for the other two polls. All votes for pre-evolutions go toward the final starter.

this boggles my mind because I've never seen Meganium win anything lol

for reference I like Meganium, but it's not the most interesting of starters

this boggles my mind because I've never seen Meganium win anything lol
A lot of the AC user base are normies so it didn't surprise me at all. Also, changing the votes for the final evo instead of the first stage gives different results. I wanted the whole evolutionary line to be taken into consideration rather than the first stage/baby form which is the more usual choice on most polls. Its why Sprigatito line and Bulbasaur line didn't receive as many this time.

Last edited:
Back