Pokémon TBT's Favourite Starter Tourney: Red Fire Version 🔥

Which Fire Starter is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Charizard! I have a soft spot for the old gen pokemon. Infernape would be a close second though, reminds me of the monkey king.
I almost voted for Charizard, because I also have a soft spot for old gen (gen 1,specifically) Pokemon, but I voted for Infernape. I still very distinctly remember opening a pack of cards in the car with my mom and getting a Charizard and audibly gasping. At that point, there was ONLY gen 1, and it was just…man, the magic. 🥹

Voted for Typhlosion as I’ve always loved Cyndaquil, though I usually picked Chikorita in gen 2 I did pick Typhlosion in Legends Arceus.

The only fire starter I’ve actually chosen in the main games is Cinderace so have a soft spot for them and also like Skeledirge cause I find Fuecoco very cute.

Overall I think Incineroar is top cat, so my vote goes to it. I like that it's Fire/Dark and I think its design is just right in terms of bipedal final starter status. It's just very memorable and cool imo and it helps that Litten is my favorite baby stage fire starter, but I also really love Fuecoco. He is a derpy Bubble Bobble dragon boy 🔥 the thing about Skeledirge, for me at least, is that when it stands upright I can't help but think it looks more metallic and robot-ish rather than ghost-ish, if that makes sense. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering it's not a Steel Type lol but I really like its design too. We finally got a full quadrupedal final stage fire starter.

Charizard is fine. It's Charizard, not much more I can say about it other than the usual "it's the hot poster boy of Pokémon" and Typhlosion is just awesome. If I play gen 2 it's either Cyndaquil or Chikorita that I choose as my starter. Blaziken is very cool, too, but man Combusken always just looked rough in the eyes to me lol, I mean, it's got that weird thing about it, something about the way it's designed, much like Thwackey, who also looks super off to me. They just both look like they've been uncomfortably, painfully stretched into long boys lol

Infernape is great, Emboar I have a soft spot for, but Delphox is definitely not my favorite. It could have been designed better. It actually used to be my least favorite final stage, that is until we got..........

CINDERACE 👎👎👎 it holds the top #1 spot as my least favorite fire starter ever. Sad because I think Scorbunny isn't half bad.

While Charidzard is iconic as heck, and is one of my favorites of the bunch, I gotta give it to Typhlosion, one of my favorite Pokemon ever. I love that particular line of Pokemon in general, too, so there's that.

Blaziken is my favorite especially if it has Speed Boost and you teach it Power Up Punch. After three turns, you’ll out speed mostly every Pokemon you battle and the Attack boost from Power Up Boost can take out even Mega Gyrados in two hits.

The poll is now closed and the votes are in!

And the winner is….

🎉🦡🎉 Typhlosion! 🎉🦡🎉

1724347123145.png

Looks like Johto strikes again! Look forward to the final round of the tourney that will start later today!

Thank you for all that have voted!

I voted in the poll the other day but am late to responding to the thread.

I think I'd have to say that my favorite Fire-type starter is Skeledirge. It's pretty neat in multiple aspects. It's a Fire/Ghost dual-type with a skull face, so it's already up my alley. It might be partially inspired by calaveras from the Día de Muertos holiday. Heck, it might be inspired by a bunch of folkloric things, it's a pretty jam-packed crocodile. It has that little fire bird that lives on the end of its snout that is neat, which apparently hatched from the egg atop Crocalor's head. The musical aspect is neat as well. Just a very cool Pokémon and Generation 9 is one of those generations where it's tough to choose between Sprigatito and Fuecoco since I love both of their final evolutions so much.

---

My thoughts on the others:

- Charizard: Charizard has always been cool and I'll probably always have positive opinions of it thanks to nostalgia from starting the series back with Red & Blue. That said, it feels like it's overexposed and given a lot of preferential treatment, like Pikachu. Understandable, I guess, but tiring nonetheless. Can't fault it directly for what Game Freak and the Pokémon Company decide to do with it.

- Typhlosion: My go-to in the Johto games. Typhlosion is a solid, if a bit plain, Pokémon. Both Typhlosion and Hisuian Typhlosion are good. I prefer Hisuian Typhlosion thanks to the purple coloration and Fire/Ghost dual-typing.

- Blaziken: My favorite of the Hoenn starters, but I'm not very fond of any of the Hoenn starters. It having Speed Boost as its Hidden Ability is very nice.

- Infernape: My favorite of the Fire/Fighting starters. Cool design, has Iron Fist as its Hidden Ability and can learn the elemental punches, stats aren't bad. Pretty solid.

- Emboar: I don't dislike Emboar, I actually think it's okay. That said...that's about it. It's okay.

- Delphox: Love the mage design with the fur resembling a robe and the stick it had in its tail as a Braixen as a wand. As I mentioned in the Grass and Water threads, the Kalos starters are all really neat conceptually with their D&D/RPG character archetype designs.

- Incineroar: I feel kind of mixed on Incineroar. As someone who grew up watching wrestling and still tunes in sometimes now that Vince is out of the picture and the quality has improved a lot, I like Incineroar's heel wrestler design and how its Fire/Dark dual-typing ties into it so well. Part of me kind of wishes that Incineroar was its own standalone thing and that they kept the quadrupedal aspect going that they had with Litten and Torracat. Speaking of Torracat, it's one of my favorite starter middle evolutions and I have a team in Sun that I'm going to play when I get a chance that will feature a Torracat instead of fully evolving it into Incineroar. Both Torracat and Incineroar are neat in their own ways though; Incineroar's cool for what it is.

- Cinderace: Cinderace is nice. While I'm not that much of a sports person, the soccer player design is nice and its Pyro Ball signature move is fun. Scorbunny was the starter I chose in Sword since it took me a while to warm up to Grookey's design due to the orange snout. I was pleasantly surprised with my choice. Also, the middle evolution, Raboot, has an fantastic design as well.

---

Ranking:

Skeledirge > Delphox > Typhlosion > Infernape > Charizard > Incineroar > Cinderace > Blaziken > Emboar

Standard Typhlosion wouldn't rank so high, but Hisuian Typhlosion pulls it higher.

I tend to like the middle stages better, but by the final form, Infernape is the most interesting looking to me, I also like the concept of Delphox the 3D model just needs work

Back