• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Team Fortress 2

Just crafted myself the Eternal Reward. I used it in the beta and loved it and I used it yesterday and had a blast backstabbing people. That and I beat my backstab record which is now 13.
This was so worth my extra cloak and dagger and reclaimed metal.

One good server I played on was the RagedGamer's 24/7 Hydro server. I played on it every day last summer. Although after they migrated the server, it seemed it was more empty a lot of the time.
It's really hard to find a map on Hydro sometimes. I wish it was more popular as it's one of my all time favourite maps. I find it more complex in comparison to the other maps.

The Problem with Hydro is that most of the time it ends up being a stalemate. And thus people don't want to deal with that.

WDZ and Nighteam are great servers.
One lies about the usercount and the other spams premiums.
trollface.gif

Still lookin for a good server... Refugee Gaming always denies me at the last second for some reason.

The Problem with Hydro is that most of the time it ends up being a stalemate. And thus people don't want to deal with that.
But that's what makes the map so awesome! It requires lots of coordination and teamwork. It's a shame it turns most people away.
Speaking of unpopular maps, I really wish there were servers (that I know of) that solely play random community made maps. There are a lot of excellent maps by the community out there that really fit the TF2 mood and play out very well. I bet there's at least one out there, but I have yet to see one.

But that's what makes the map so awesome! It requires lots of coordination and teamwork. It's a shame it turns most people away.
Speaking of unpopular maps, I really wish there were servers (that I know of) that solely play random community made maps. There are a lot of excellent maps by the community out there that really fit the TF2 mood and play out very well. I bet there's at least one out there, but I have yet to see one.
AH-****ING-HEM.

smorgasbord has a ****ton of custom maps, and you can ALWAYS suggest a map on the forums. they even have custom map nights!
SERIOUSLY, GET THE **** ON THERE GUYS.

@bacon, how do they deny you? :/

and i don't think the problem with hydro is that it's solely because it's prone to stalemates, i think it's more that people don't know the map, it has a bad rep, and maybe a bit of the stalemate issue. though the only times i've played hydro, one team or the other has been rolled within 5/10 minutes max.

I love it when im playing battle medic and i dominate a premium pyro
Just goes to show people who use premium are the worst players on TF2

I love it when im playing battle medic and i dominate a premium pyro
Just goes to show people who use premium are the worst players on TF2
not true.

also, battle medics are some of the worst players in tf2, as the purpose of the medic is not to be a standalone fighter, but to support the team.

i melee pyros, nbd.. but i heal the team like a boss 90% of the time (given that they're around to heal)

if you're using your syringe gun more than you're medigun, you're doin it wrong. and if you're using the blutsauger as opposed to the syringe gun, you better have damn good aim.

It depends. I've seen some really good battle Medics. I don't mind those kind of Medics unless they're good at what they're doing.
My main rule as Medic is to keep the patient first. Although I will give exceptions to that rule in certain situations like if the patient was putting me into dangerous situations that may end up killing me.
I usually evaluate each person I heal and see where my cut off points are. The better they are, the more I'm willing to risk.

On a different note, what's everyone's comment on Jarate not being selectable in Medieval mode? Discuss.
I don't really mind, personally. Sure it doesn't make sense when contrasted with the fact the Spy has his cloaking devices, but when you think about it, it was all done for balance.

no battle medic is a good medic, whether or not they're a good battle medic.

the medic is one of two classes that can heal the team, and while they have their time to shine in combat, they are not intended to be a direct offensive class by themselves. medics alone are not enough to push through a team, but a medic supporting a team well is what i've seen cause rolls a good chunk of the time.

people may be good at being a battle medic.. but that doesn't mean that they're doing anything but that, and the team will most likely suffer, unless there's another medic on the team. i really don't understand why people try to be uber pro battle medic, instead of uber pro pyro, scoot, even engie. battle engie is awesome if you can do it right.

medieval mode as a whole is a steaming pile of poopoo, and i don't consider it anything more than a sniper's dream. it should never have been brought into the "real" game.. there's plenty of mods and scripts for fun servers for melee only. dedicating a whole map type to it is.. stupid.

Then that would defeat the whole purpose of Medieval mode then. If a class is useless because they're melee weapon is useless alone, then that's how it goes.
I actually really like the Medieval mode. It really has some epic moments. Sure some servers have people that just spam Sniper, but I look beyond that. I wouldn't actually mind if we got another map for this.

Now back to our battle Medic discussion. I can definitely see where you're coming from. Of course a battle Medic cannot do as much justice as a Medic who heals the pushing force. But just because someone goes battle Medic doesn't mean they should be automatically deemed useless.
I can see why you think that because you see a Medic as an amplifier of team power rather than a component of team power. I personally see them as partially an amplifier, but also a little bit of a component. Of course I know how one would see a Medic will differ from player to player.
Though one thing I must note is that if a battle Medic doesn't know how to switch styles to a typical healer medic, then that's where I may consider them as a potentially useless Medic.

And because I'm such a nerd, I'm going to set up an equation to represent team push power in TF2:
m(a+2b+1.5c+2d+2e+f+m)+0.4m(g+h)
m=Medic
a=Scout
b=Soldier
c=Pyro
d=Demoman (coincidence that it I chose 'd')
e=Heavy
f=Engie
g=Sniper
h=Spy
Where each variable equals total skill (based on 0.0 to 1.0 scale per player then added together) of that class.
Sniper and Spy are on the second part because a Medic doesn't really amplify their power at all except for healing when they get hurt.
Keep in mind this equation will only work with teams with Medics. If there's no Medic, simply exclude 'm'.

I'm sorry to those who are reading this and made your brain melt and/or combust.

not true.

also, battle medics are some of the worst players in tf2, as the purpose of the medic is not to be a standalone fighter, but to support the team.

i melee pyros, nbd.. but i heal the team like a boss 90% of the time (given that they're around to heal)

if you're using your syringe gun more than you're medigun, you're doin it wrong. and if you're using the blutsauger as opposed to the syringe gun, you better have damn good aim.

I didnt intend to be a battle medic but god damn my team didnt even care about me soo i had to defend myself and ended up dominating a m1 pyro using premium

if a medic is healing, they aren't being a battle medic.
if a medic is helping to take down a threat, they aren't a battle medic.

if a medic is not healing and is focusing only on killing, that's what i think a battle medic is.

medival mode is ****, and i really hope we don't get another mode for it.
it's awful.
every class is useful in at least one way, but it's just pointless spam, and ends up being a cluster **** on C if you're playing degroot.

Why so much hate towards Medieval mode D:
I don't think it's bad and I'm pretty sure others don't either as there are quite a few servers offered on cp_degrootskeep. Though, if you find it terrible, I can't argue much with an opinion.

You're also quite strict when it comes to a Medic's duties.
In my opinion, I think everyone is free to play each class however they want as long as it works out for the team in some way. If Medics were only for healing, he'd have no syringe gun or bone saw. If Engies were only for building bases to defend, he wouldn't have the Gunslinger or the ability to move buildings.

EDIT: 2000th thread post gets!

Back