• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The METAL thread! \m/

A question for Pantera fans: Is 'glam' Pantera or 'current' Pantera better, in your opinion?

I had found out recently that they started as a glam metal band before changing their style by their 5th studio album. The only albums I've listened to were "Metal Magic", "Power Metal", "Cowboys from Hell", and "Vulgar Display of Power" (also currently listening to "Projects in the Jungle"), so I'm not sure if I could formulate a proper opinion yet. However, I think I prefer Pantera's glam era. Even though I didn't actually bother to learn the song names (except for, uh, "Ride My Rocket"...), the overall sound just appeals to me.

I think most fans are shocked (or at least surprised) when they find out about Pantera's humble Glam Metal beginnings. Aside from Power Metal, I haven't listened to their other '80s albums in their entirety, so I can't really say. I have sampled a couple of tracks from them though, and going solely by that I would have to say I definitely enjoy the redefined Pantera material from the '90s. I've always enjoyed Glam Metal (unlike most Metal fans on the internet who just utterly despise this style), but early Pantera's rendition of it just doesn't do much for me, unfortunately. Cowboys From Hell is my favorite album from this band, so I do actually like Power Metal to some degree (it also has that distinct Heavy Metal streak. By this time Phil Anselmo was already onboard as well).

Almost forgot this existed:

"The Metallica Blacklist celebrates the 30th anniversary and enduring influence of this musical milestone with one of the most ambitious projects ever conceived by the Metallica team: An unprecedented 50+ artists spanning an unbelievably vast range of genres, generations, cultures, continents and more, each contributing a unique interpretation of their favorite Black Album cut.

Much more than a mere tribute, The Metallica Blacklist offers up new dimensions of the record whose gravitational pull first drew the mainstream to Metallica in 1991—and provides new insights into the universal and timeless appeal that kept it there: the boundary-smashing influence these 12 songs have had on fans and musicians of all stripes. Blacklist’s 53 tracks find singer songwriters, country artists, electronic and hip hop artists sharing their love of these songs alongside punk rockers, indie darlings, icons of rock, metal, world music and many, many more…"

I've only listened to a few covers from this tribute project. Some that I thought were decent were "Enter Sandman" by Alessia Cara and The Warning, "Nothing Else Matters" by Miley Cyrus and "Holier Than Thou" by Corey Taylor*.

I still don't plan on listening to all 53 covers, but I'll try checking out the ones that seem most interesting to me.

*This cover has a swear word, so I can't feature it here.

This video showed up in my YouTube feed and I felt the need to share it. ...And Justice For All is my favorite Metallica album, but, y'know... No bass. (Still love the album, though.) Well, this is basically AJFA but with added bass lines. I'm not a huge bass connoisseur or something, but I think this is a pretty solid version of the album.

I believe there's a video on YouTube of this album with Jason's original bass lines mixed in (probably called "...And Justice For Jason"), but I'd have to dig for it.

Edit: I found the video I was talking about earlier, which was coincidentally the first thing that popped up in my feed. The bass is a lot more noticeable and clunky than the last video, but I think it still sounds good. Now I really wish AJFA officially had its bass...

Post automatically merged:

Almost forgot this existed:

I've listened to a few Metallica covers, but I don't believe any of it were from the Blacklist Album. I honestly didn't even know this existed, but I'm excited to give some of the covers a listen now!

Last edited:
Blue Cheer's first album, Vincebus Eruptum, was recorded in 1967 and released early the next year. Some of the tracks have a proto-Metal streak in them, such as "Second Time Around" (Leigh Stephens' guitar solos are especially off the hook!). If there's any band from the '60s that can be described as being "Heavy Metal", then it's these guys.

I've listened to a few Metallica covers, but I don't believe any of it were from the Blacklist Album. I honestly didn't even know this existed, but I'm excited to give some of the covers a listen now!

In 2021 there was a lot of talk about that tribute album (from Metal and non-Metal fans alike). Less than three years later, the hype appears to have died down, as I hardly see it mentioned now, he he. So far, none of the covers that I've listened to have been as great as the originals by Metallica, but it's still interesting to hear entirely different takes of those songs.

Blue Cheer's first album, Vincebus Eruptum, was recorded in 1967 and released early the next year. Some of the tracks have a proto-Metal streak in them, such as "Second Time Around" (Leigh Stephens' guitar solos are especially off the hook!). If there's any band from the '60s that can be described as being "Heavy Metal", then it's these guys.

This song was interesting to listen to! It doesn't sound "heavy" to me and it doesn't have much of what I'd usually expect from a typical metal song, but it's getting there. The last part, though... What a trip. The guitars are all over the place. XD So this is what proto-Metal sounds like...

Ye, it's pretty wild especially considering the time that it was recorded.

This is Metal for the entire family (it's Christian. So that means you could even play it in church!):

Alright, if that's still too dark or heavy for them, then surely they can at least enjoy this one?

I created a chart of 30 releases celebrating their 30th anniversary this year. Not all of these are personal favorites of mine; I have just listened to them and they all happen to be from 1994.

Screenshot_20240622-114206~2.png

1. Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
  2. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
  3. Brutal Truth - Need To Control
  4. Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
  5. Cemetary - Black Vanity
  6. Corrosion Of Conformity - Deliverance
  7. Dystopia - Human = Garbage
  8. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
  9. Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
  10. Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency
  11. Godflesh - Selfless
  12. Gorement - The Ending Quest
  13. Gorgoroth - Pentagram
  14. Grief - Come To Grief
  15. Horde - Hellig Usvart
  16. Incantation - Mortal Throne Of Nazarene
  17. In Flames - Lunar Strain
  18. Killing Joke - Pandemonium
  19. Korn - Korn
  20. Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
  21. Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
  22. Merciless - Unbound
  23. Mystic Charm - Shadows Of The Unknown
  24. Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
  25. Paramaecium - Exhumed Of The Earth
  26. Phlebotomized - Intense, Immense, Suspense
  27. Samael - Ceremony Of Opposites
  28. Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens
  29. Tiamat - Wildhoney
  30. Various Artists - Nativity In Black: A Tribute To Black Sabbath

I feel that 1993 was a better year, but 1994 also had its share of classics (with #8, 14, 18, 19, 21 and 29 being the ones that I love the most).

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I don't play Call Of Duty, but my brothers do and my younger brother decided to show me this song one day. As a metal song, I think it's really good (even though I have no idea how it ties to the game), so I decided to share it.

I don't know who Elena Siegman is, but that song wasn't bad. It also kind of reminded me of Kittie, heh.

Check out this Metallica interview video if you haven't seen it before, ZC. I just stumbled upon it yesterday, and it's such a time capsule! It's also nice to see Dee Snider from Twisted Sister here (some of the fans are funny as well, especially the guy at the end. Ha ha).

So I decided to give the album "Metallica" a listen. All the songs slap hard! I didn't expect to grow fond of it. XD My favorite song in there is still and will always be "Wherever I May Roam"!

Also, when I listened to "The God That Failed" the first few seconds reminded me of the beginning of "Dawn Patrol" by Megadeth for some reason.

So I decided to give the album "Metallica" a listen. All the songs slap hard! I didn't expect to grow fond of it. XD My favorite song in there is still and will always be "Wherever I May Roam"!

Also, when I listened to "The God That Failed" the first few seconds reminded me of the beginning of "Dawn Patrol" by Megadeth for some reason.
That's awesome! The Black Album (what most fans refer to Metallica's self-titled album) is the band's most commercially successful album, so it's no surprise that a lot of fans would enjoy it. However, I think it's a solid album with lots of good tracks. (My personal favorites are Wherever I May Roam and Don't Tread On Me.)

Oh, and probably the reason why The God That Failed reminded you of Dawn Patrol is because both songs use a very prominent bass, especially the latter. Obviously all the other tracks have bass, but it's more noticeable in the intro for The God That Failed.

I like some metal. I never got into the heavier stuff. My type was always thrash and heavy. Retro Metallica is pretty cool, so are the bands around that time period too.

Never did get really into metal beyond that. To me, it just sounds like a competition about which band is the most brutal and kvlt or whatever. It feels like it always came down to who can injure and lacerate themselves the most, who can tune the lowest, who can play the fastest, who can be the most blasphemous, who can growl the lowest, which band has the most unreadable band name and so on. They just try too hard, you know? They try too hard.

Playing in standard tuning and being creative and original challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

Then some bands sound kinda heavy but their choruses or whatever sound like an identity crisis. They're heavy one second, then they sing like they're the Backstreet Boys?

No thanks. Oldhead heavy and thrash metal for me.

A question for Pantera fans: Is 'glam' Pantera or 'current' Pantera better, in your opinion?

I had found out recently that they started as a glam metal band before changing their style by their 5th studio album. The only albums I've listened to were "Metal Magic", "Power Metal", "Cowboys from Hell", and "Vulgar Display of Power" (also currently listening to "Projects in the Jungle"), so I'm not sure if I could formulate a proper opinion yet. However, I think I prefer Pantera's glam era. Even though I didn't actually bother to learn the song names (except for, uh, "Ride My Rocket"...), the overall sound just appeals to me.

To anyone who doesn't listen to Pantera, here's a song from each era:
Terry Glaze was a kick ass vocalist! My favorite song from his era is "Taking My Life."

I also really like "Rock the World" and "We'll Meet Again" from Phil Anselmo's glam era.

1722112907554.png

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Metallica's Ride The Lightning album! I don't keep track of album releases, but this is one I had noticed recently and wanted to touch upon. Ride The Lightning is one of my favorite Metallica albums and I honestly think it's phenomenal. (Personally, I prefer it over Master Of Puppets.) I love Cliff Burton's basslines throughout every song, especially on For Whom The Bell Tolls. It's also interesting to see how the band had evolved musically by their 2nd album, with a more polished sound compared to Kill 'Em All.

There's more I could say, but I don't want this post to be too long. I'm definitely gonna go give Ride The Lightning another relisten later. ٩(^ᗜ^ )و

^I would say For Whom the Bell Tolls. Not the most original answer, I know lol, but I just love that song so much!

Same, that's my favorite album of theirs! My favorite song from that album is Trapped Under Ice.

What about y'all?
Mine is the title track, Ride The Lightning. Surprisingly, I didn't really care for it when I first listened to the album, but I realized how good it was after a relisten. Now it's in my top 5 favorite Metallica songs. XD I also like For Whom The Bell Tolls ("basic" answer or not, it's still a great song), Fade To Black, and Escape.

Back