The METAL thread! \m/

As much as I love Metal, "headbanging" isn't something I've ever been into (I don't mind if others do it, but it's just not for me).

And that's my random Metal thought of the day.

Good night.
I agree, I don't wanna hurt my neck and my head. Health concerns, y'know?

A cousin of mine played guitar and he used to be obsessed with guitar virtuosos. I remember he told me that Michael Angelo Batio was one of the guitarists that impressed him the most. Not too long ago I stumbled across this video, and yeah, he's pretty good (just like Yngwie Malmsteen).

I mentioned Malmsteen, so...

There's an auction to have dinner with James Hetfield. The current bid was at $30,000 the last time I checked.

The funds go to charity so I don't have anything bad to say about it. Nor do I care about how people choose to spend their own money. It is a neat opportunity after all. It would be cool to ask him some questions.

Earlier tonight I received news from a friend that Linkin Park reunited and have released a new song featuring some new female vocalist (well, that was unexpected).

It's good that the band wants to press on and continue making music, but I feel as if they should've gone under a different name or something, as no one can ever truly replace Chester Bennington (man or woman).

EDIT: Found an article giving more information on this reunion.

Last edited:
Earlier tonight I received news from a friend that Linkin Park reunited and have released a new song featuring some new female vocalist (well, that was unexpected).

It's good that the band wants to press on and continue making music, but I feel as if they should've gone under a different name or something, as no one can ever truly replace Chester Bennington (man or woman).

EDIT: Found an article giving more information on this reunion.

Agreed. Not hating or anything, but it reminds me of a Three Days Grace without Adam Gontier (Matt Walst is NOT Three Days Grace AT ALL.) They should just use a different band name but are probably just sticking with the Linkin Park name since it's already famous.

Edit: Well, I listened to 'The Emptiness Machine' and it sounded pretty good, so I'm willing to give them a shot.

Last edited:
I was listening to Reload by Metallica.

The Unforgiven II is an instance of a song I would normally like, but feels like it goes a little too long at 6 and a half minutes.
I used to not like that Metallica's songs were 6-8 minutes long on average (like on Master Of Puppets), but I've gotten used to it by now. Sometimes when I hear a shorter song from them, I'm like, "That's it?" XD At that point, I almost wish Motorbreath was longer...

The Unforgiven II is pretty good and it's growing on me, but my favorite Reload song will always be The Memory Remains.

I used to not like that Metallica's songs were 6-8 minutes long on average (like on Master Of Puppets), but I've gotten used to it by now. Sometimes when I hear a shorter song from them, I'm like, "That's it?" XD At that point, I almost wish Motorbreath was longer...

The Unforgiven II is pretty good and it's growing on me, but my favorite Reload song will always be The Memory Remains.

I actually like Master of Puppets. So I guess for me it depends on the song. It doesn't feel like 8 minutes when I listen to it.

Justice for All pulls me away a little with all of the songs being lengthy. (Two of the songs being nearly 10 minutes). One and Harvester of Sorrow are good though.

Memory Remains is good too. I also like Slither on Reload.

Some fans are mixed on the band direction after The Black Album, but I'm perfectly okay with the departure from thrash metal. Not everything hits but not everything is a miss either and they have some great slower paced songs.

Agreed. Not hating or anything, but it reminds me of a Three Days Grace without Adam Gontier (Matt Walst is NOT Three Days Grace AT ALL.) They should just use a different band name but are probably just sticking with the Linkin Park name since it's already famous.

Edit: Well, I listened to 'The Emptiness Machine' and it sounded pretty good, so I'm willing to give them a shot.

I haven't listened to the new LP song yet, but my friend really loved it as well. And yes, not all post-reunion music by bands with irreplaceable vocalists is inherently awful. A good example for me would be "Your Decision" by Alice In Chains. Even though it doesn't feature Layne Staley, I can still acknowledge that this is a great song, one which I've always enjoyed.

What you said reminded me that after listening to a decent amount of albums that range from 70 minutes to 2 hours long, ones that are the standard 40-45 minutes now just feel kind of short to me.

I was thinking of an example for songs that drag on. It's not metal, but Hey Jude is the first one that comes to mind.

I say this as a fan of them. Past the 4:00 minute mark, this song goes on, and on, and on, and on in a repeated chorus.

I'm sure it's magical at concerts. On a casual listen I'd rather just turn it off after a minute into the halfway point.

It's an extreme example. But in my own feelings it's how a well put together song can start to fall over. Maybe I'm jaded because I've heard it so many times though.

As @Suguri said, most of the Metallica songs still sound good. I might start getting winded, but there's no specific timestamp to where I get tired of them and skip. At most I might hesitate to add it to an overarching personal playlist.

I actually like Master of Puppets. So I guess for me it depends on the song. It doesn't feel like 8 minutes when I listen to it.

Justice for All pulls me away a little with all of the songs being lengthy. (Two of the songs being nearly 10 minutes). One and Harvester of Sorrow are good though.

Memory Remains is good too. I also like Slither on Reload.

Some fans are mixed on the band direction after The Black Album, but I'm perfectly okay with the departure from thrash metal. Not everything hits but not everything is a miss either and they have some great slower paced songs.
I read somewhere online that the Justice songs being so lengthy was the reason why the band doesn't usually play any them during concerts (except for One due to its popularity). According to one of the members (I think it was Kirk), they'd see people in the front row looking bored or about to doze off during the solo in ...And Justice for All, which ultimately put them off from playing it. I think it's a shame since AJFA is my favorite Metallica album and its runtime doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand why they'd stick to shorter and more popular tracks.

(Fun fact: The most-played live Metallica song is Master Of Puppets.)

A lot of fans say that Metallica "sold out" after The Black Album and that anything beyond it isn't worth listening to, or even say that they were only "good" up to Master Of Puppets. I don't think there's anything wrong with experimenting with different styles since sticking to the same formula can get pretty redundant. Even if I don't prefer the post-Black Album songs, there's still a handful that I enjoy (especially on Load, Reload, St. Anger, and 72 Seasons).

What you said reminded me that after listening to a decent amount of albums that range from 70 minutes to 2 hours long, ones that are the standard 40-45 minutes now just feel kind of short to me.
I believe the longest album I've listened to was Metallica's "Garage, Inc.", which is a little over two hours long. I did get antsy at some point because I was dying to hear So What (XD), but otherwise I enjoyed it. I prefer the standard 45-minute and 1-hour albums, though.

I haven't listened to the new LP song yet, but my friend really loved it as well. And yes, not all post-reunion music by bands with irreplaceable vocalists is inherently awful. A good example for me would be "Your Decision" by Alice In Chains. Even though it doesn't feature Layne Staley, I can still acknowledge that this is a great song, one which I've always enjoyed.
True. Matt Barlow will always be one of my favorite vocalist, Iced Earth is a band that had so many vocalist yet everyone of them were good.

Back